Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Closed Thread

Old 22-06-06, 02:06   #41
TRBeth

Isn't Redux a diet pill?

Old 25-06-06, 08:51   #42
Blackmoor

I think a possible reason Eidos asked Core to do the TR-AE as well as Crystal, is because they wanted backup.

Backup in case TR7 (Legend) was a flop. Bad sales, reviews, or a backlash against Crystal taking over from Core... There were huge risks and I think they took preventative action against this.

If Legend had flopped, they could whip out the Core AE version and all would have been forgiven. It would have mollified a lot of people and given them breathing space to decide what to do next.

Since Legend has performed well they decided to continue with plan A - Crystal owns the TR franchise.
Old 25-06-06, 12:32   #43
thevman

Sad thing is they didn't wait long enough for the backlash. It's here now, a month and a half after the game came out. They just saw the initial sales and happy reviews and finalized their decision to leave core on the chopping block. Could be a bad move eidos, a very bad move...
Old 25-06-06, 17:03   #44
Lone Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor
I think a possible reason Eidos asked Core to do the TR-AE as well as Crystal, is because they wanted backup.

Backup in case TR7 (Legend) was a flop. Bad sales, reviews, or a backlash against Crystal taking over from Core... There were huge risks and I think they took preventative action against this.

If Legend had flopped, they could whip out the Core AE version and all would have been forgiven. It would have mollified a lot of people and given them breathing space to decide what to do next.

Since Legend has performed well they decided to continue with plan A - Crystal owns the TR franchise.
that makes sense.
Old 25-06-06, 17:06   #45
Souvenir

Quote:
Originally Posted by //hikari
though you have a point i must say again what i said in a previous thread.

even though a lot of people from Core have left since TR1 that doesn't mean Core in itself doesn't know what TR really is. a company such as Core would only want to hire those that understood is vision and point of view. they would only hire those that fit in with their team. it wouldn't be a drastic change by any means.

I would want CD to sit down and view each level for a long period of time. Core would already have an understand of TR, further advanced than CD.
I think Core Design gradually lost sight of what Tomb Raider was all about. AOD was a brave departure that ultimately failed in both execution and delivery. In Core's defense, poor marketing and inadequate support certainly didn't culture any worthwhile amount of success either.

Lara Croft is Tomb Raider. Designers are free to eliminate or reduce the familiar devices of her character at the peril of rendering her iconic status inconsistent and incoherent. Violate her independent, (basically) altruistic and supremely competent personality and you're left with something less than what you started with. Less is not always better, especially in Lara's case.

It's one thing to expand upon Lara's humanity or to "reinterpret" her back story, it's something else entirely to reduce her to a depressing state simply to spin a dark and gritty tale - one that supersedes classic Tomb Raider adventuring, no less. Would anyone here enjoy watching an Indiana Jones movie where the hero is a depressed and moody wanderer deprived of his trademark fedora, whip and revolver?

If you review some of the interviews written prior to the release of AOD, it seems apparent that project leads were too distracted with other successful game models to further innovate their own (repeat references to GTA became rather tiring after awhile).

Legend was a stunt spectacular featuring Lara Croft. At the very least, it was an agreeable deviation from the perplexing decay of the franchise. Still, I hope Crystal Dynamics doesn't perpetuate this style if it means sacrificing large environments and challenging puzzles (which absolutely should not be stripped from the remake).
Old 25-06-06, 17:07   #46
Tavo_TR

I m sorry but i think that if core really know what tomb raider is then AOD would never existed (at least with all those changes), im very pleased with legend i think its a step forward since the last tomb raider game, i dont know how the anniversary edition would be like but i prefer Crystal Dinamics over Core...just my opinion
Old 22-04-12, 04:42   #47
motoleo
Inactive

A little late to the party, but what ever happened to CORE's version of Tomb Raider 1 remake, and why did it fall into obscurity?

How did a game like that come about? I had never really given much thought to how CORE was able to put something together like that given the situation. But apparently, somehow they did, and that interests me.

So, is this another one of those unfinished games, or was it never a real game? I remember watching a trailer of it and getting slight olden style Tomb Raider feel in the game play and the way that it looked. But it didn't hold a candle to Crystal Dynamics version I don't think.

My question now is, what kind of remake of TR1 was CORE trying to make? I'd actually like to know...

Last edited by motoleo; 22-04-12 at 04:43.
Old 22-04-12, 04:48   #48
aussie500
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoleo View Post
A little late to the party, but what ever happened to CORE's version of Tomb Raider 1 remake, and why did it fall into obscurity?

How did a game like that come about? I had never really given much thought to how CORE was able to put something together like that given the situation. But apparently, somehow they did, and that interests me.

So, is this another one of those unfinished games, or was it never a real game? I remember watching a trailer of it and getting slight olden style Tomb Raider feel in the game play and the way that it looked. But it didn't hold a candle to Crystal Dynamics version I don't think.

My question now is, what kind of remake of TR1 was CORE trying to make? I'd actually like to know...
Core's TRAE was cancelled, and any questions concerning it are better asked in the current thread rather than reviving one that has not been active for almost 6 years. Please ask any questions about TRAE in the thread below.
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=112577
Closed Thread