Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 01-08-16, 20:54   #1
TR-Freak
Unverified

Default My opinions on the game

I replayed Tomb Raider Anniversary and I came to the conclusion that this game sucks.

It's a collosal cheek to name this thing "Anniversary" it's not worth an Anniversary Edition.

The game is bland from the beginning to it's end. There is absolutely no love in one of the levels or it's ideas.

The Thing about the White Ledges
Some people saw my livestream when playing Tomb of Qualopec:

It's a insult to someone's intelligence to even think about placing things like this. Levels in all Crystal Dynamics' Games are designed especially for Lara.
The illusion of ruins or a temple is fast destroyed, because no exploration is allowed and ruins don't look organic anymore.

Placed just for Lara.

In Anniversary these Ledges are placed too much. Especially in Egypt.
Placing Ledges like this should be banned. It's okay to place them as a style element and not as a gameplay element.

The Gameplay is mostly deformed to a "Run From A To B".
You have no freedom what to do first in most levels anymore like in the Original.
In TR1, you had the freedom which Cog you collected in the Lost Valley.
You had the freedom which door in Qualopec's tomb you open first.
You had freedom which lead bar you turn first into gold.
in Natlas' Mines, you can insert the fuses altogether or one after another.

All this was removed in TRA, you have to do every task one after another, not separately. This bugs me the most. The only levels where you had a choice was in Sanctuary of the Scion and St. Francis Folly (which, I have to admit is better than the original, especially Poseidon's Room).

Lara: I cry because I kill animals without scruple and kill people who aim at me.
I never understood the obsession with her father or to look at her hands.
It's such a plain vanilla story element.
Ugh, I could puke all the time when I hear the voice of her father in the cutscenes.

Natla: Kill her quickly!
Natla 5 minutes later: Join me you faggot.

Last edited by TR-Freak; 01-08-16 at 20:56.
TR-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-16, 21:14   #2
Zreen001

While I agree with everything you said, I did enjoy some things.
Some of the music.
Some of the puzzles (St. Francis was a bit of an upgrade, if slightly confusing and intimidating at first).
Searching for Relics were sometimes fun.

Other than that, the story felt like fanfaction trying to emulate TR Legend/Underworld universe into TR1... which it kinda was.
Zreen001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 04:38   #3
SamCactus101

Many of the white ledges and items were put there just for Lara. Think about it; Imagine if that box wasn't there for Lara to pull down so she climb up the higher ledge, she'd be stuck there forever. Imagine if the metal hinge wasn't there for Lara to swing across a gap, she'd be forever stuck on that one side of the gap. It feels all too easy.
SamCactus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 08:04   #4
TR-Freak
Unverified

Of course some elements should be placed just for lara, but not every single ornament. As I said there so zero exploration, because there are no optional paths or forks.

They raped the original Atlantis Level to a Ledge Hopping Marathon so they can throw more of their "story" bull**** down our throats.
TR-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 09:15   #5
Hazelphoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-Freak View Post
I replayed Tomb Raider Anniversary and I came to the conclusion that this game sucks.
/thread + round of applause.

Quote:
It's a collosal cheek to name this thing "Anniversary" it's not worth an Anniversary Edition.

The game is bland from the beginning to it's end. There is absolutely no love in one of the levels or it's ideas.
That's solely because it wasn't a product of love. They came up with the idea of a 10th anniversary game just for the sake of going against Core's remake and prevent them from "stealing their crown" smh. Really ironic, because a game celebrating the anniversary of a saga should at least be made with a little bit of passion, but in this case there is none and it shows, as you said. It lacks devotion, passion and all the core elements (PUN INTENDED) of the original Tomb Raider (and no, I'm not talking about the grid system in this case).

One can say anything about the Reboot games, I don't appreciate them in the slightest in the first place, but at least it clearly shows the effort Crystal put in making their own personal thing. Unlike this Anniversary travesty.
Hazelphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 14:13   #6
lizardspock110

This game doesn't suck (imo)

Game has amazing music, most cut scenes are thrilling and I like them. Egypt levels are my favorite, I like the puzzles and level design. My favourite of LAU.
Its classic-ish TR on a modern engine to me so I love replaying it.
Of course weird moment in lost city and Lara's killing Trauma was BAD, but I like the game.
lizardspock110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 15:50   #7
RulerKelso

For me, TR anniversary was fine.
it was never planned as a rock to rock remake, but as a tribute to the first TR game, which was even created by another developers. The same story, but completely new game with modern engine and a new moves. Some of the most iconic rooms and elements was implemented of course. I personally enjoyed anniversary more than Legend. It was also good, but in my opinion very short, flustered and more action based.
But i was disappointed with dumping Tomb of tihocan level and Atlantis levels too. Atmosphere in the original TR is non-reccuring.
Add.: Anniversary is the only Crystal dynamic TR, which is close to the original concept of Tomb raider. But underworld is pretty simmilar and I really had a blast when I played it.

On the other hand, last 2 titles looks like different games, more like a combination of action shooter and soft rpg sliced by many cinematics..
But I understand, today mainstream gamers maybe like this style much more.

Last edited by RulerKelso; 02-08-16 at 15:54.
RulerKelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 16:18   #8
Patrick star

Anniversary is my second least favorite CD game tbh . Yes I acknowledge the game's strong points such as music , GREAT puzzle design (it's got the second best puzzles in the franchise after TR4) , some of the enviromental sound effects (like the sounds in Egypt) the visuals in some levels , the secret system , the boss fights and the grapple .

However , I don't feel like I love to replay this game , IDK , I'd go back for Legend (for example) countless times , but very rarely for Anniversary , the game's washed out color palette is really painful to look at(and it's not even washed out realistically , I wouldn't have minded if it was the case but it wasn't , for instance Real life Egypt has a yellow-ish worm color palette , in Anni it was fake grey for no apparent reason , I LOVED the visuals and architecture of the Greece section tho) , the game is RIDDLED with corridors , that's a big design mistake and it does really bores me to DEATH , the forced Adrenaline dodge , the glitchyness of some animations (the wall run and balancing on obelisks) , the lack of interesting storyline etc . For all of that , it's my third least replayed TR game after Underworld (at #1) and TR1 (at 2#) , Yep there I said it , I find TR1 to be almost equally boring and dull , what's crappy in Anni is great in TR1 and vice-versa , pretty much why I have both in the same spot on my list .

About the white ledges , I agree that they're really provocative , sticking out like an eye sore and looks as if they're placed by the ancients specifically for Lara . However , that's somthing TR1 does suffer from too and almost every TR game tbh (in a less visually provocing manner) , Two ledges sticking out from the wall for Lara to attach to aren't that different from flawlessly rectangular platforms sticking out from the wall randomly and placed in a fashion that fits the jump distance that Lara can do perfectly , that horizontal room from obelisk of Khamoon (in TR1) sprints to mind .

Last edited by Patrick star; 02-08-16 at 16:21.
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 16:29   #9
lizardspock110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
Anniversary is my second least favorite CD game tbh . Yes I acknowledge the game's strong points such as music , GREAT puzzle design (it's got the second best puzzles in the franchise after TR4) , some of the enviromental sound effects (like the sounds in Egypt) the visuals in some levels , the secret system , the boss fights and the grapple .

However , I don't feel like I love to replay this game , IDK , I'd go back for Legend (for example) countless times , but very rarely for Anniversary , the game's washed out color palette is really painful to look at(and it's not even washed out realistically , I wouldn't have minded if it was the case but it wasn't , for instance Real life Egypt has a yellow-ish worm color palette , in Anni it was fake grey for no apparent reason , I LOVED the visuals and architecture of the Greece section tho) , the game is RIDDLED with corridors , that's a big design mistake and it does really bores me to DEATH , the forced Adrenaline dodge , the glitchyness of some animations (the wall run and balancing on obelisks) , the lack of interesting storyline etc . For all of that , it's my third least replayed TR game after Underworld (at #1) and TR1 (at 2#) , Yep there I said it , I find TR1 to be almost equally boring and dull , what's crappy in Anni is great in TR1 and vice-versa , pretty much why I have both in the same spot on my list .

About the white ledges , I agree that they're really provocative , sticking out like an eye sore and looks as if they're placed by the ancients specifically for Lara . However , that's somthing TR1 does suffer from too and almost every TR game tbh (in a less visually provocing manner) , Two ledges sticking out from the wall for Lara to attach to aren't that different from flawlessly rectangular platforms sticking out from the wall randomly and placed in a fashion that fits the jump distance that Lara can do perfectly , that horizontal room from obelisk of Khamoon (in TR1) sprints to mind .
Strangely, concept arts didn't have washed out colours, tbh, I don't mind them that much, but they could've done better, like this concept. Bright and colourful

Some of the pools and platforms in egypt reminded me of a few TR4 levels like cleopatra's palace...
lizardspock110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 22:58   #10
Patrick star

Wow , that actually looks amazing !
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote