Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts

Old 24-02-18, 19:03   #1
Kurtis666

Default Do you think the movie will flop/succeed?

So, we're almost 2 weeks from the Tomb Raider movie release.
Considering the curse of movies based on video games do you think Tomb Raider will flop or do you think it will actually be good and break the curse of movies based on video games?

Personally, I'm cautiously optimistic about the overall film but regardless of the receptions and the overall quality of the film it will get I love this version of Lara Croft in terms of her personality. Alicia's Lara has the magic of classic Lara, her attitude, her sassiness, her confidence (not to mention her British accent). With all those qualities I mention she's also inexperienced at the same time which is a great balance between the reboot 2013 Lara and the classic Lara.

I think the main problem I had with the 2013 reboot Lara is that she's not what I would imagine Lara to be in her beginning stages as a tomb raider and yes, I know she was still in the beginning of her journey and she's gone through hell in Yamatai but even with all that she didn't act the way Lara Croft as a unique and individual character would act even as an inexperienced tomb raider, she wasn't Lara Croft for me.

Therefore I don't know if the movie will be a critically acclaimed box office success but even if it will not be I'll still love Alicia's Lara much more than the Lara Croft we got in the 2013 reboot.
Kurtis666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-18, 19:08   #2
PinkyPromise

If the movie is successful:
-We'll have more Tomb Raider movies
-Lara Croft will be an even more famous character in popular culture
-The second part will have more money and more famous actors
-We could have more public in the games of TR

If the movie is a flop:
-We could wait another 15 years to see Lara Croft again on the big screen
-A spot in Tomb Raider's history
-It could feel as if Tomb Raider is no longer relevant and interesting in the mass media

I hope it succeeds and is a good movie. I want to see Alicia again as Lara Croft in a story without family drama.

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 24-02-18 at 19:11.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-18, 19:22   #3
Tonyrobinson

I want so badly to succeed but I'm not going to get my hopes up it really does depend on the critic reviews at this point. I expect Black Panther will have a major hold over the box office for quite a few weeks, Tomb Raider has a lot of competition that it might get swallowed up among.

I want it to succeed but it's such a hard market, hopefully it pulls through critically.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-18, 19:26   #4
FanosCroft

It doesn't look like a flop so far from what I've seen. I believe it will succeed and will get positive reviews.
FanosCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-18, 21:20   #5
NoahCrofRaider

I think it will succeed, and it'll warrant a sequel too. PinkyPromise made a lot of good points as to what could likely happen if it succeeds, which makes me hope all the more that it will.

Whether or not it is a success, I'm almost certain I'll love it. As much, if not much more, than the first Angie film. I adore this Lara, and with all I've seen, Alicia has consistently and constantly been doing wonderful as Lara.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-18, 21:23   #6
biscuits

I want it to succeed. I really like Alicia's version of Lara Croft. I'm sure all the actors involved will do a wonderful job. It's the script I'm extremely worried about. Wouldn't the movie's success be bad news for you though? I thought you disliked the reboots

I believe that the movie's potential success would ensure that reboot Lara is here to stay. Whether that's a good or bad thing is up to you I guess. I'm getting the impression that Shadow Lara will be similar to movie Lara by the end of her character arc. Maybe they're fast tracking her development in order to not confuse the general audience??
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-18, 21:57   #7
lizardspock110

I think it will do well I love that the movie is a modern action adventure with tombs and curses which hasn't been done in a long time, audience will love it. Lara is also interesting and we'll get to see many sides of her personality, I really love her sarcasm!
lizardspock110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-18, 23:19   #8
Tonyrobinson

I really think if this movie flops it won't be for the wrong reasons, I feel like Black Panther is going to pave the way for A Wrinkle in Time featuring leads for African Americans who are already so unrepresented in the film community so for that reason I can see there being more mass appeal in that particular film at the US box office.

Europe and Asia will probably be a better market for this movie with better social and cultural appeal to those particular audiences. I still think this film can have a huge income from China which I'm sure the studio is routing for. I think it will breakeven or spin a nice enough profit to be considered a moderate success but I don't know if it will guarantee a sequel.

If we get good critical reception and word of mouth then this will then potentially have a chance to conquer the US audience and earn better profits there probably gaining better success and kickstart a franchise of films.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 24-02-18 at 23:20.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-18, 00:45   #9
James_Rutland

Well I'm taking 5 people to go see this, then I'm gonna have another viewing with my family which is 4 people, then I've got another group of people that want to see it so that's like 13 ticket sales from me and my friends / family alone

I hope it does well.
James_Rutland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-18, 00:49   #10
AimlessThunder

The cast is great, the set looks good, the cgi has improved a lot.. Time will tell if this will be a success. I hope that it will be.
AimlessThunder is offline   Reply With Quote