www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 21-12-17, 20:08   #251
Danath
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opaque79 View Post
After reading that, I don't understand why a green ambience for jungle areas would be bad. However, there were areas where I could have had a different ambient colour other than green (the rooms with lava could have had a reddish ambience.
I forgot to mention that. Yes, obviously it's better to have different ambient lights in different environments. What i meant is having many different colours in one area for no reason.

Quote:
My 2nd level had comments about being too dark - it's a cave. In reality, a cave would be pitch black, not have pretty bright lights everywhere.
Imo, darkness isn't bad as long as there are more than enough flares and/or the map isn't too confusing with many different places to go. I would limit total darkness to a few strategic spots though.
Old 21-12-17, 21:29   #252
Opaque79
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danath View Post
I forgot to mention that. Yes, obviously it's better to have different ambient lights in different environments. What i meant is having many different colours in one area for no reason.
True. Rooms like that would make no sense unless its a disco environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danath View Post
Imo, darkness isn't bad as long as there are more than enough flares and/or the map isn't too confusing with many different places to go. I would limit total darkness to a few strategic spots though.
Such as to hide a secret or something along those lines.

On a side note, I do have another project in planning so I am currently gathering ideas for it. I have the story and the objectives noted so that should help along. I will definitely utilise texture sounds along with more involved use of flipmaps.
Opaque79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-17, 14:20   #253
Titak

Quote:
After reading that, I don't understand why a green ambience for jungle areas would be bad. However, there were areas where I could have had a different ambient colour other than green (the rooms with lava could have had a reddish ambience.
The greenish colour you have in your jungle level certainly isn't bad. It makes a lot of sense to have it a bit greenish, due to filtering through the leaves.

The lighting could have been a bit more varied, like using a more blueish tone for example for the indoor areas. Or more yellowish. Whatever really, just a bit more difference between the outside jungle and indoor temples.
And the colours don't have to be vivid if that does not make sense in the environment.
Old 22-12-17, 14:31   #254
Opaque79
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titak View Post
The greenish colour you have in your jungle level certainly isn't bad. It makes a lot of sense to have it a bit greenish, due to filtering through the leaves.

The lighting could have been a bit more varied, like using a more blueish tone for example for the indoor areas. Or more yellowish. Whatever really, just a bit more difference between the outside jungle and indoor temples.
And the colours don't have to be vivid if that does not make sense in the environment.
Now I see that it wasn't so much the green ambience, it was more to do with the fact that every room had the same greenish ambience with no variety.

In my next project that I am currently planning, I will be working on varied ambience as well as adding texture sounds. Planning is taking a while - blank mind. Never mind though, slow and steady.
Opaque79 is offline   Reply With Quote