Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 24-01-09, 11:55   #1
TR cheatfinder
Inactive

Red face How do you clean a scratched PS2 disc?

A couple of months ago I lost my Final Fantasy X Disc, and finally I found it but guess what? It was battered and scratched and has about 75 minor scratches and 2 deep scratches and it won't work. Then, I found that my Final Fantasy X-2 game disk won't work so I tried the toothpaste method on that disk and so afterwards Final Fantasy X-2 worked perfectly. Also, my Tomb Raider Anniversary somehow got scratched and only got to the loading bit with the Scion after the cutscene with Natla asking Lara. Now, I tried the Toothpaste method thousands of times (not literally) on both disks, but didn't make any improvements and I think made it worser. Here is the steps I followed for the Toothpaste Method:

1. Get a scratched PS2 Disc or something that doesn't work.

2. Get some toothpaste (any) and squeeze some out onto where the uncolored side is around the whole disc.

3. Run the tap and position the Disc (uncolored side) under the running tap and gently roll the tootthpaste in a spiral direction around the edge and inside of the disc.

4. After, you have spread all the toothpaste around the disc, wash it off with the water and your fingers.

5. Carefully, wrap a towel around the Disc and then wait for it to get dry then test it out.

I tried that Method on FFX-2 and it worked and it wasn't as scratched as the other two and worked! But with FFX and TR: Anniversary and nop. Didn't work so does anyone know a different method to this (no buying, I am low of money at mo)! Do I change the method? Do another method? I also heard banana does it but I don't know the method......

Thanks anyway Guys!
TR cheatfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-09, 12:22   #2
Paddy

Not sure of the best way to clean it , probably best to have them in the covers in the first place, wont get damaged lol.
Paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-09, 14:13   #3
laralover_07

Take it to your local gamestore. Most have a disc repair machine that they use to clean up all pre-owned stuff, and its usually really cheap to get your disc put in for a few minutes.
laralover_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-09, 15:12   #4
God Horus

DO NOT TRY ANY OF THESE "Home Remedies!"

Just take it and get it professionally repaired or buy a CD cleaner. I have a 30$ CD cleaner which has never let me down. It does and amazing job getting rid of scratches and then it shines the disk so its uber-clean.

I know someone who read that washing your disks with nail polish remover can get rid of scratches on Yahoo! Answers. What it actually did was completley eat away at the disk and it didn't work anymore.

The only home remedy for a scratched disk I recommend that you consider is cleaning disks using turtle wax. At a store near my house that's what they use, so I bought a bunch and I use it on my disks and it gets rid of scratches and it looks great after.
God Horus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-09, 17:27   #5
irjudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR cheatfinder View Post
A couple of months ago I lost my Final Fantasy X Disc, and finally I found it but guess what? It was battered and scratched and has about 75 minor scratches and 2 deep scratches and it won't work. Then, I found that my Final Fantasy X-2 game disk won't work so I tried the toothpaste method on that disk and so afterwards Final Fantasy X-2 worked perfectly. Also, my Tomb Raider Anniversary somehow got scratched and only got to the loading bit with the Scion after the cutscene with Natla asking Lara. Now, I tried the Toothpaste method thousands of times (not literally) on both disks, but didn't make any improvements and I think made it worser. Here is the steps I followed for the Toothpaste Method:

1. Get a scratched PS2 Disc or something that doesn't work.

2. Get some toothpaste (any) and squeeze some out onto where the uncolored side is around the whole disc.

3. Run the tap and position the Disc (uncolored side) under the running tap and gently roll the tootthpaste in a spiral direction around the edge and inside of the disc.

4. After, you have spread all the toothpaste around the disc, wash it off with the water and your fingers.

5. Carefully, wrap a towel around the Disc and then wait for it to get dry then test it out.

I tried that Method on FFX-2 and it worked and it wasn't as scratched as the other two and worked! But with FFX and TR: Anniversary and nop. Didn't work so does anyone know a different method to this (no buying, I am low of money at mo)! Do I change the method? Do another method? I also heard banana does it but I don't know the method......

Thanks anyway Guys!
I've used the toothpaste trick and it works. But you are wrong that ANY toothpaste will work. You have to use the GEL kind of toothpaste. The regular stuff with the gritty texture will just cause more scratches.
irjudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-09, 17:49   #6
Sir Croft

It's basically polishing the disc in order to reduce the scratch so the laser isn't reflected by damaged surfaces. So it does work, but as irjudd said, you should use gel toothpaste, or it may cause more scratches.
Sir Croft is offline   Reply With Quote