Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

View Poll Results: SOTTR - Realism Or Supernatural Illusions
I like Supernatural mixed with Illusions - Baba Yaga DLC 39 22.41%
For goodness sakes no, Supernatural Classics all the way 107 61.49%
I don't mind/care 28 16.09%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22-04-17, 00:35   #21
Grimaldi

The illusions work best when they're elements of the myth surrounding the supernatural, like the spin on Thor's strength stemming from his gauntlets rendering objects weightless, or Baba Yaga's bird house. The core should always be something unarguably supernatural, as it's a lot more fun to see how the otherworldly inspired myths instead of ruining the magic by hand-waving it all away as smoke and mirrors.
Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-17, 06:38   #22
daventry

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Mod contribution: Please remember that we do have a thread to discuss Supernatural enemies in particular. Perhaps this thread could discuss how supernatural elements could be implemented generally. I wouldn't want GRiannisRaider's thread to be overlooked.
Thanks for that Rai, so please lets not discuss Supernatural Things here, merely about do you want Fake Illusions or Supernaturals instead.

Thank You for the Poll Thread Rai

Now my vote, Supernatural Classics all the way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daring Do View Post
Why not all of it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid View Post
Because of the element of surprise.
The torso boss, the dragon, Willard, the Basilisk, etc etc
had no explanations really
they just... existed
that's all
and we have to kill them
end of story.

this whole "this exists due to this scientific explanation" is boring
TR isn't scifi
it needs to **** off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
I haven't played Baba Yaga yet so I can't 100% comment here.

But I don't like the idea of illusions at all and don't consider them to be "realistic". In fact I find the concept a bit implausible as a rationale for Lara encountering unusual creatures and beings, or other complex environmental circumstances. Not to say........... extremely disappointing gameplay wise. That creepy creature I just defeated is an hallucination? No thanks.

But like I say, I haven't played BY and so don't know if it actually was well executed in practice.

When it comes to Lara's adventures, I'd like to feel I'd dealt with REAL things not just had a "trip" by walking amidst a bunch of pollen...

I'd rather have (for example) real dinosaurs than dreams of zombies........... but dinosaurs explained well-ish. For example, a lost world hidden in the depths of a remote place untouched and unseen by the modern world. Or, genetically engineered in some way - like Jurassic Park did.

I like supernatural (or rather unusual) things to happen in TR - like giant lizards that breathe poison gas, statues coming alive, etc. But in today's TR game world where graphics are realistic and gritty, and storylines are attempting to be complex... then I kind of want some kind of rationale there. Not just random unfathomable encounters. It works better for me that way - I buy in more.

We don't have to know the answers to everything (although I think the central mystery should be dealt with and acknowledged as a mystery in the dialogue / cutscenes - eg, immortality device, Himiko, etc) but as a preference, I would like there to be some plausibility behind what is going on.
You may not have played Baba Yaga yet, but you made your point Spot On.

Last edited by daventry; 22-04-17 at 09:26.
daventry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-17, 18:52   #23
Sanglyph

I'm all for the pseudo-scientifical approach like in the Uncharted games or a more fantasy-esque one á la The Angel of Darkness. Murti's research on the science of alchemy and the dark arts as a theme for the plot were fantastic and I'd love to see another take on a subject matter like that. I'm personally not a big fan of an over-the-top supernatural theme unless it was grounded enough to feel real and both the cast and the world would adapt to its existence accordingly.
Sanglyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-17, 19:53   #24
tomee

I voted "Don't care"

I love the impartial options. It's very Davenry-ish.
tomee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-17, 00:51   #25
charmedangelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid View Post
Supernatural classics, supernatural classics, supernatural classics!!!
Sick of this "realism" bs.
So am I, I really wish Tomb Raider Ascension wasn't cancelled. That legit looked so interesting with those monsters and Lara riding on horse back.
charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-17, 01:16   #26
Yeauxleaux

I'd say "supernatural classics"

I don't play games for "realism", if I wanted that I'd go for a walk.

I like games that do what the classics (and Uncharteds) did. Start off grounded and realistic, gradually throw hints that something is "off" about the place we're in (atmosphere is very important here), culminate in something ferocious or creepy that was unexpected.

The Reboot games have already established themselves as games where supernatural stuff can happen (the divine source, the oni, the deathless, Himiko etc) so I don't see why they can't play on it more than they currently are. It's not bad, but maybe they could have made the oni and the deathless, well, a bit more frightening looking? Not zombies, they've been done to death, but I'm a bit disappointed when we're in these almost apocalyptic-looking frozen ruins in remote Siberia, and then the "supernatural" are... some men in Grecian garb. Throw some monstrosities at me, something vicious and "WTF" that looks like it belongs there.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 23-04-17 at 01:20.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-17, 19:27   #27
Portugalraider

Not everything has to be magical/supernatural/unexplainable.

At the same time, not everything needs to be an illusion/scientific/explainable.

CD only using one or the other is limiting. And for that reason I voted for the first option, which is what CD is actually doing, in my opinion.

That being said, CD does need to crank up the purely supernatural elements. And by that I mean "We need mandatory monsters and non-human like enemies"! Especially on main tombs.

I said it once, I'll say it again: most of the "too much combat" critiques I see don't actually come from too much combat, but from low enemy variety, aka we basically just kill humans or human-like enemies during the main story segments. I bet that if instead of human combat we had animal and monster combat, many of the complaints would disappear. Especially when Lara is on a tomb/temple/unexplored cave. It would make way more sense and had variety to the game.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-17, 19:44   #28
TR-Freak
Unverified

I'm tired of this "OMG ****ING GOD IT'S SUPERNATURAL"

Supernatural elements should be existent throughout the whole game and shouldn't be "something special".
TR1: Had a ****ing T-Rex in the third level, a scary mummy in the fourth, You could turn into gold,
TR2: Well, nothing supernatural that much but a ****ING ASS BIRD MONSTER and a ****ING DRAGON.
TR3: living statues in the second level, Aliens, Dinosaurs, a flying bitch and mutants around the corner.
TR4: Mummies already in the second level, the more you progress the game, the more dangerous get the monsters: Mummies->Skeletons->Harpies->Demigods->Big Beetles->Big Ass Scorpions->A ****ing Death God
TR5: Hydra, Roman Statue, The Spear of Destiny, This creepy mermaid witch thingy, demons, a friggin hangman.

Y'know, We need this "casuality" of supernatural elements back.
Baba Yaga happened exactly once and then never again.
TR-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-17, 20:00   #29
ANoDE
Golden

Personally I think realism in video games is overrated. They are video games - half the fun is to experience stuff that would never happen in RL. In my opinion sticking to realism too tightly inhibits creative freedom and limits story options.
ANoDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-17, 14:52   #30
Moon-Safari

CD confuses their ****ty supernatural execution and cheap storytelling for "well fans must not want too much supernatural elements". WRONG! TRU never delivered on the type of supernatural we were promised from Legend. The box art of Legend had me thinking we would be going to avalon at some point, a beautiful tropical pink sky paradise in heaven with ancient structures and chimes and waterfalls. Instead we got a basement in Underworld with blue LED lights everywhere. It ****ing sucked.
Moon-Safari is offline   Reply With Quote