Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Chronicles

Old 16-09-17, 21:19   #41
SrDanielPonces

@fallenangle whats the difference between the NTSC and PAL games (in all TR1-5 games)? I thought it was just the location lol
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-17, 22:08   #42
Dustie

I was thinking today it would be nice if we could get a mod with high-quality textures for Chronicles. There are points where the texture quality is pretty low.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-17, 22:26   #43
tomee

I really enjoyed TRC on first playthrough. My first games were LAU and I got my hands on the classics at a later date. I bought all of them and played just a little... Chronicles was definitely the one that caught my interest the most and that's why it ended up being the first classic I finished. It had a sort of chill and agreeable pace to it that really struck just the right chords for me. It was the perfect foray for me to venture into the classic series.
tomee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-17, 02:53   #44
NoahCrofRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid View Post
I've played through Chronicles the most, and I've only ever encountered one bug in Red Alert! right near the end, the second cyborg wouldn't follow me into the hallway, so I couldn't lock him in and gas him.
Not sure if this is relevant, but this only happened with my NA PC copy, not my PAL or EU versions.
I think this is the only bug that I did encounter. Everything else worked fine IIRC.

Chronicles is an awesome game, and I think it was very much in the vein of TR 1-3 which had the globe-trotting and unique stories that, in a way, tied into the big overall plot.

One of the reasons I love Chronicles is, in fact, that it felt like TR 1-3, but with TR4's upgraded gameplay. It also feels easier to get into than TR4 imo. And as previously mentioned, it's the smoothest TR compared to the previous four games.

Sorry if it came across as though I hate TR4; I don't, I actually really love it, but prefer Chronicles a little more.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-17, 12:46   #45
fallenangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrDanielPonces View Post
@fallenangle whats the difference between the NTSC and PAL games (in all TR1-5 games)? I thought it was just the location lol
PAL ports almost always were released later, sometimes much later than the NTSC version. However the main difference, and why many serious gamers at the time and even now won't touch the PAL50 versions of any PS game, is because many were not optimised or only partly optimised for PAL50. That means the games ran about 17% slower and/or were window boxed ie. bordered top and bottom.

It is what fueled the UK/EU NTSC game and hardware import market as well as encouraging system modding. Sony and, later, MS had only themselves to blame for all that by short changing gamers in PAL regions.

Even when they were optimised for PAL50 most gamers think that the the 60Hz refresh rate of the NTSC system give superior picture quality despite PAL's higher resolution. That's one reason why PAL60 was introduced and well supported by later systems like the DC.

It would be ironic if in TRC's case the PAL50 version had some of the bugs ironed out even though it was released slightly earlier than the NTSC version. But I'm still not convinced that the PAL version is more bug free. It may be that there are and were just less people here using it and so fewer reports of the bugs encountered.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-17, 20:37   #46
Nemo_91

I'm replaying it now and I agree. Chronicles really grew on me with time. It's obviously not nearly as good as the first three in the series, but it's a short, (mostly) easy, fun little game, especially after Last Revelation which I think is kinda overlong. I really like the variety in the levels, it reminds me of TR3. And the VCI levels are just excellent.
Nemo_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-17, 21:25   #47
ThatSassyKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo_91 View Post
I'm replaying it now and I agree. Chronicles really grew on me with time. It's obviously not nearly as good as the first three in the series, but it's a short, (mostly) easy, fun little game, especially after Last Revelation which I think is kinda overlong. I really like the variety in the levels, it reminds me of TR3. And the VCI levels are just excellent.
Gurl, yes.
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-17, 23:15   #48
Blue_light

It's a fun title, good to take a break from the more serious, challenging games. I like how each section is unique.
Blue_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-17, 03:56   #49
Mokono

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomee View Post
I really enjoyed TRC on first playthrough. My first games were LAU and I got my hands on the classics at a later date. I bought all of them and played just a little... Chronicles was definitely the one that caught my interest the most and that's why it ended up being the first classic I finished. It had a sort of chill and agreeable pace to it that really struck just the right chords for me. It was the perfect foray for me to venture into the classic series.
Now that you mention it, i had a similar experience but backwards! To me, Legend felt a lot like Chronicles, which was a game i enjoyed very much, so i got a liking to LAU despite the shortcomings that everyone would later point out (rightfully so).
Mokono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-17, 11:38   #50
Chamayoo

It was the cutest Classic TR game.
It's pretty, some lovely atmospheres, varied. I like all the game except the very last level unfortunately because of breaking bugs.
While it's my least favorite Classic TR, it's still nice and I have good memories of it.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote