Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 01-11-16, 20:54   #11
dinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDormant View Post
I think that in my case was a case of misunderstanding because of bad dubs.
I've linked the righ moment in the italian video to let everyone to check.
dinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-16, 00:53   #12
benjamin_2010

I believe it was intended as comedic relief. What she should have said is "I hate murdering people!" as that is what you spend most of the game doing, not exploring tombs. But I digress. It was kind of a cheesy thing to say imo. I just rolled my eyes and moved on.
benjamin_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-16, 01:09   #13
ancientIo

It may have been comedy but even in English the moment looked very serious. Like she had this small moment of frustration and said what she was thinking deep inside

It looked like...I don't know very...inexperienced of her. It doesn't gel with the other details about her in the game like her hiking in Kilimanjaro with Sam and accompanying her parents on expeditions. Why would she be suddenly annoyed by an old and dusty tomb when she's probably experienced it before ever since prepubescence?

Now a sewer I understand...
ancientIo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-16, 01:43   #14
Daring Do

That line is one of my favorite lines in the whole game. I found it funny. I don't know how many times I've said I hated drawing or went on about how terrible animating is, even though both of those things are my passion. It's meant to be lighthearted, and I appreciate that very much given how serious the rest of the game is.
Daring Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-16, 01:48   #15
Luis Augusto

Well, maybe she was just fed up with all the things that happened to her up until that moment. Everyone and everything was against her.

But right after she says that, she inmediately falls in love with the tomb and the stories behind it. Heck, she even RAIDS Himiko's sarcophagus looking for her corpse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYiYdNhPrmk

IDK, I liked it. It was indeed kind of ironic.
Luis Augusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-16, 01:48   #16
ThatSassyKid

I think it's a really stupid and forced aspect of her progression into a Tomb Raider.

Sorta like this

> She hates tombs early-on in the game
> By the end of it/start of Rise, she loves them

Edit
Regarding the posts about context on the previous page, she says it pretty seriously in French too.

"Je déteste les tombs!" is how she says it and yea it's not so much an "I don't like tombs" in a lighthearted way. It's more something you'd say when you really don't like something.

The word "hate" in English is 9 times out of 10 an exaggerated term, and hence can be easily heard/read in such a way.
In other languages, not so much as each word usually has another word for different contexts.

Last edited by ThatSassyKid; 02-11-16 at 01:55.
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-16, 02:03   #17
ancientIo

that moment reminded me of a kid trying to solve a math problem

Maybe it should be in Meme-It 22?
ancientIo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-16, 02:33   #18
Daring Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientIo View Post
It looked like...I don't know very...inexperienced of her. It doesn't gel with the other details about her in the game like her hiking in Kilimanjaro with Sam and accompanying her parents on expeditions. Why would she be suddenly annoyed by an old and dusty tomb when she's probably experienced it before ever since prepubescence?
Because of all of the rest of the stuff that's happened to her throughout the game, what with all the blood, gore, pain, and all that jazz. I'd be grumpy at tombs too. It's kind of like when you've been having a really ****ty day and just one small insignificant annoyance pushes you over to just hate everything.

Besides, there's plenty of times where she's super hype about what she finds in tombs and the tombs themselves. So it's not like she's hated tombs the whole time, it was just that moment.
Daring Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-16, 03:06   #19
trfan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daring Do View Post
Because of all of the rest of the stuff that's happened to her throughout the game, what with all the blood, gore, pain, and all that jazz. I'd be grumpy at tombs too. It's kind of like when you've been having a really ****ty day and just one small insignificant annoyance pushes you over to just hate everything.

Besides, there's plenty of times where she's super hype about what she finds in tombs and the tombs themselves. So it's not like she's hated tombs the whole time, it was just that moment.
This. She pretty much blurted it out in the spur of the moment. Most likely because of all the stress she went through prior to entering the tomb. Under normal circumstances, she would probably be fascinated by the tombs. We already know she's interested in ancient history and cultural lore, hence her traveling to Yamatai. And we all know that she becomes intrigued by tombs later in the game. I don't think that line was meant to have a hidden message behind it.

Last edited by trfan16; 02-11-16 at 03:07.
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-16, 03:06   #20
VictorXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid View Post
I think it's a really stupid and forced aspect of her progression into a Tomb Raider.

Sorta like this

> She hates tombs early-on in the game
> By the end of it/start of Rise, she loves them

Edit
Regarding the posts about context on the previous page, she says it pretty seriously in French too.

"Je déteste les tombs!" is how she says it and yea it's not so much an "I don't like tombs" in a lighthearted way. It's more something you'd say when you really don't like something.

The word "hate" in English is 9 times out of 10 an exaggerated term, and hence can be easily heard/read in such a way.
In other languages, not so much as each word usually has another word for different contexts.
That's not it at all. Lara very clearly loves tombs before Yamatai, just look at her face 2 seconds after she says that line.
This line is just the most misunderstood thing ever. :/ I guess that's what happens when you take your game so seriously that there are no more than 3-4 purposely comical moments.
VictorXD is online now   Reply With Quote