Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 26-06-17, 00:18   #21
ShutUpReyes

I love the idea of a demo. I recently played the free trials for Dishonored and Watch Dogs 2, both of which resulted in me buying the full games.

Otherwise, a gameplay trailer with a magazine spread would be grand.
ShutUpReyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-17, 03:51   #22
JoelCaesar

Remember the demo for Mass Effect Andromeda? That went down well.
JoelCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-17, 05:25   #23
Daring Do

I want a super cool and dramatic trailer. Something that will give me the chills and then die of excitement.
Daring Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-17, 07:58   #24
MissJodieG

I had a dream about the announcement last night and it was amazing. There was a ton of gameplay and plenty of vibrant locations. In the end there was a cutscene where Lara pointed her gun to Jonah's head and said something among the lines of: "I knew it was you!" and that was it.

Wouldn't it be such a cool plot twist if Jonah was the shadow in the title? Like he worked for Trinity since the Reboot and was there to control Lara. This would result in her never trusting anyone again and she would become the cold and cynical woman we know.
MissJodieG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-17, 08:53   #25
jackali
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
People expecting a trailer or an announcement will be disappointed big time.

Underworld was revealed in a magazine (Play) in January 2008.
Tomb Raider 2013 got its first reveal in 2010 by GameInformers

Only Rise of the Tomb Raider had the luxury, in the recent TR history, to make its reveal at E3 and I believe it was mostly due to good timing. All the other games had gameplay at E3 and were announced prior.

I expect no more for SOTTR than a magazine reveal. The trailer(s) would come at the next big conference (Gamescom?).

Gameplay will only be in 2018. No way they will make a reveal and show the gameplay all at once. This isn't Bethesda nor E3 anymore. Usually, game studios reveal their games, talk a bit about it and then months later they show something more. Very few studio throw big bones all at once. It takes time and money to build a trailer, it cost almost nothing to provide a few screenshots and do an interview.

I understand that the thread is about what we want, but the scenario above is exactly what I want in fact: a reveal + articles in a magazine. Showing gameplay or trailers too soon is always a risky thing to do because games change and evolve during development and this is Eidos' first Tomb Raider title. I want them to make a good impression and the trailers to be in their best states. Anything shown too soon can bite them in the butt.

Beside, I always found magazine articles more interesting and more detailed than a mere CGI trailers that are barely representative of the final game.
I don't think anyone here who wants to see gameplay expects to see it any time soon.

I said I wanted a playable demo. I'm happy to wait until a mere 3 or so months before release for that. I don't need a magazine article or an interview to tell me anything about the game, as they're typically so full of rhetoric and hyperbole that they're less representative of a game than a CG trailer.

Your point about cost doesn't hit home because they will inevitably pay the same money for the tailers at some point anyway. Paying for magazine coverage beforehand only adds to the cost.
jackali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-17, 09:00   #26
AshesBorn

No PR bs or misleading CGI teasers, just a 10-15 minute stage demo of amazing non-scripted gameplay, showcasing new puzzles and ways to interact with the environment. Maybe a glimpse of a cutscene at the end. Let the game speak for itself and all.
Won't happen, though - it'll either be a magazine spread with a few pretty screenshots, a CGI teaser, or a heavily scripted action sequence.
AshesBorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-17, 09:28   #27
Costel

I DO NOT want to see not even a glimpse of a puzzle. Good or bad, easy or hard puzzles I want to discover each one of them from zero.

But they will eventually show a puzzle in a gameplay demo and I will not resist not to watch it.
Costel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-17, 09:42   #28
tomblover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
A trailer using in-game footage, quickly followed by a magazine spread.
Ideally.

I'd rather not see a cinematic trailer until closer to launch. I want to get that initial excitement from the game itself -- not an approximation.

Magazine spreads usually have more details for us to pick through and speculate about, as well, so...

Last edited by tomblover; 26-06-17 at 09:43.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-17, 09:45   #29
AshesBorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costel View Post
I DO NOT want to see not even a glimpse of a puzzle. Good or bad, easy or hard puzzles I want to discover each one of them from zero.

But they will eventually show a puzzle in a gameplay demo and I will not resist not to watch it.
I just want to be absolutely sure that the game lives up to whatever promises get made along the way. Seeing one puzzle won't ruin the fun as long as there are enough complex puzzles in the game. CD can even leave some of the major steps out of the demonstration, I don't mind.

While promoting Reboot, CD said they wouldn't show any cause they didn't want to spoil the surprise, but it turned out that the "surprise" was in how scarce and simple the puzzles and tombs were.
With ROTTR, they advertised the hell of the "nested puzzles", which were definitely a huge step up in terms of complexity, but still ended up rather samey and straightforward.
AshesBorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-17, 13:21   #30
paulojr_mam

That CG trailer for Rise showing Lara in the psychologist, I didn't remember seeing it in the game. Guess it wasn't there and was made only for marketing purposes. So unnecessary! And I thought misleading in its implications. So no CGI trailer, please. Especially if it's not made of games from the game itself.
Eu gosto de trailer assim:

Best trailer. Better than the game. Still misleading though. As if nested puzzles were all that in the game.

I prefer trailers that show flashes of gameplay.

Last edited by paulojr_mam; 26-06-17 at 13:50.
paulojr_mam is offline   Reply With Quote