Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Modding

Old 18-03-13, 04:25   #31
mizuno_suisei

Quote:
Originally Posted by serotonin View Post
Can anyone give me some instructions on what I need to do to unpack the .tiger archives, so I can simply find the game's sound effects files?

I've got Rick's latest unpacking/packing tools for TR9, but I can't make sense of how to use them (I start the .exe, and a command prompt window simply opens and immediately closes).

All I want to do is VERY simple: I just want to find the .wav/.mp3/.ogg for Lara's CONSTANT LOUD GASPING EVEN WHEN STANDING STILL, and delete those files (preferably with FIRE), or at least replace those files with blank sound files.

Lara's obnoxiously loud mouth-breathing just drives me totally nuts. It's seriously ruining the game for me. I have no problem with her breathing heavily during exertion (running, jumping, climbing, etc.), but she even does it when she's just standing perfectly still. It's... good god, it's so horrible. YOU HAVE A NOSE ON YOUR FACE LARA, CLOSE YOUR MOUTH AND BREATHE WITH IT OCCASIONALLY, JESUS TAP-DANCING CHRIST WOMAN, ARE YOU ASTHMATIC OR A 300-POUND OBESE DIABETIC? NORMAL PEOPLE DON'T BREATHE LIKE YOU DO! IT'S DISGUSTING!

Sorry, I don't mean to rant. I don't know if this is some sort of subtle OCD I have or something, but her loud, LOUD, ENDLESS GASPING is just killing me. KILLING ME. I have to fix it. I am literally at the point of just quitting the game if I can't fix it.

Please, please, someone help me. I know I must be weird, because I can't seem to find anyone else complaining about this... but I'm sorry, and I have really tried to get over it, and I just can't.

....and this is what the world gets for asking for these new games to have fantastic graphics and sounds immitating realism instead of classic unrealistic FUN. Oi.

Don't think replacing ingame audio is possible, nor will it be any time soon. Hasn't been possible since Tomb Raider Chronicles
mizuno_suisei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-13, 07:43   #32
serotonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuno_suisei View Post
....and this is what the world gets for asking for these new games to have fantastic graphics and sounds immitating realism instead of classic unrealistic FUN. Oi.

Don't think replacing ingame audio is possible, nor will it be any time soon. Hasn't been possible since Tomb Raider Chronicles
Why not, exactly? All the sound effects have to come from specific sound files, don't they? All of which are contained in those archives. For all I know, simply repacking the archives with the sound files removed entirely (nevermind replacing them) would work just fine. There's a chance the game would crash when trying to play the missing file, or perhaps not... I've successfully done this sort of thing before with other games for other reasons (e.g. soundtrack music I got tired of). It depends on the game. For some, an error message will just be recorded in the console or a log file somewhere and the game will continue running just fine in all other aspects.

Oh and btw, Lara's obnoxious gasping ISN'T realistic, and that's at least as much a part of the problem as the loudness. The sound of her breathing simply shouldn't be that audible relative to the rest of the game's ambiance (the decibel volume is even louder than footsteps, which is just stupid), and her idle breathing isn't even timed logically to sync with the pace of realistic breathing; the gasps are too short, and the interval between each of them is too long.

I seriously, genuinely, suspect someone at Crystal Dynamics has some sort of closeted heavy breathing fetish. It's all bizarrely unnatural. Play the Benchmark demo in game, and just listen to her. It's freakish.

Last edited by serotonin; 18-03-13 at 07:55.
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-13, 08:23   #33
mizuno_suisei

I've been floating around in the modding/level editing business for a long time now and have seen absolutely no mention of being able to extract sound effects from bigfiles which are used from Tomb Raider Legend until now. Audio, yes, but sound effects, no. WAIT WAIT! I just saw this posted very recently. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...50&postcount=8 Does that help you? Sorry if it doesn't aha.

You could be right, maybe someone at Crystal D got his bits wet over Lara's deep breathing but to be honest, look at it as a realism perspective, not a techy one. She's stranded on an island, lacking food or suitable clothing. If she was a real person, she'd be scared ****less. I like to think about it like that, from her POV. I thought it was rather neat when running around with SI mode turned on, the only thing you could really hear was her breathing. It actually made me feel in touch with Lara for one of the first times since the classics games. Mind you, this opinion is coming from a from Day Go TR fanboy.
mizuno_suisei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-13, 10:19   #34
Heckler

Quote:
....maybe someone at Crystal D got his bits wet over Lara's deep breathing...
Heckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-13, 15:33   #35
serotonin

Quote:
I've been floating around in the modding/level editing business for a long time now and have seen absolutely no mention of being able to extract sound effects from bigfiles which are used from Tomb Raider Legend until now. Audio, yes, but sound effects, no. WAIT WAIT! I just saw this posted very recently. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...50&postcount=8 Does that help you? Sorry if it doesn't aha.

You could be right, maybe someone at Crystal D got his bits wet over Lara's deep breathing but to be honest, look at it as a realism perspective, not a techy one. She's stranded on an island, lacking food or suitable clothing. If she was a real person, she'd be scared ****less. I like to think about it like that, from her POV. I thought it was rather neat when running around with SI mode turned on, the only thing you could really hear was her breathing. It actually made me feel in touch with Lara for one of the first times since the classics games. Mind you, this opinion is coming from a from Day Go TR fanboy.
I could probably get used to the mere volume, and already would have, if only the breathing itself actually sounded real to me. But like I've said, the gasps don't even sound like real breathing. Obviously, it's tweaking some sort of deeply ingrained sensitivity with me. Like sitting in a waiting room with a clock that tick-tocks slightly irregularly.

Anyway, the unpacker is for TRU, of course, but the file conversion tools could definitely be useful to me provided a full and proper .tiger archive unpacker ever shows up, so definitely thanks for the link.

Assuming said unpacker is indeed not around yet for TR9, I'll just have to wait.
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-13, 16:04   #36
Heartache

id like to get all the music out of the files *_* too bad they used tiger files which it seems were never ever ever used before anywhere. google cant find much about it. only links from tomb raider
Heartache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-13, 16:11   #37
Xopax

any classic mod?
Xopax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-13, 00:19   #38
Marimar

Sorry im very stupid somebody teach me how to put the mods in the second page? thanks!
Marimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-13, 16:14   #39
CrimsonThrall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xopax View Post
any classic mod?
Give it time. They'll materialize eventually..
CrimsonThrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-13, 01:18   #40
berres88

bah! I want mods now! But I can be patient I just download the lara croft player model for skyrim so I should be able to hold out for a little longer.
berres88 is offline   Reply With Quote