Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 29-08-17, 16:21   #21
Craig Michaels

Interesting to me that several of the paintings (Mary Queen of Scots, the horseback riding picture, the ladies of the Lake family) and then the Italian paintings (Rome, Venice) might suggest something about Lara's family (or, maybe just Core Designer's taste).

1. Paintings of the Stuart family could suggest that the Crofts were Royalists in the English Civil War. This is compounded with the Italian paintings which could suggest why . . .

2. The Italian Paintings, especially Rome from the Vatican, could suggest that the Crofts were historically Catholic (although the Rome painting was done by English painter J.M.W. Turner and is filled with mythological symbolism). If the Crofts were Catholic though, this would be one reason they were Stuart supporters.

*Probably* reading way too much into the paintings . . . it could also be that whoever the texture designer was happened to choose paintings that suited his or her taste.
Craig Michaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-17, 16:48   #22
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Michaels View Post
Interesting to me that several of the paintings (Mary Queen of Scots, the horseback riding picture, the ladies of the Lake family) and then the Italian paintings (Rome, Venice) might suggest something about Lara's family (or, maybe just Core Designer's taste).

1. Paintings of the Stuart family could suggest that the Crofts were Royalists in the English Civil War. This is compounded with the Italian paintings which could suggest why . . .

2. The Italian Paintings, especially Rome from the Vatican, could suggest that the Crofts were historically Catholic (although the Rome painting was done by English painter J.M.W. Turner and is filled with mythological symbolism). If the Crofts were Catholic though, this would be one reason they were Stuart supporters.

*Probably* reading way too much into the paintings . . . it could also be that whoever the texture designer was happened to choose paintings that suited his or her taste.
It's fun to speculate though, given we get so little information about Lara or her family in the classic games tbh.

All this seems very plausible, given The Crofts have likely been a highly prominent family for centuries and might have had to take a stand on certain political issues.

Although, this is her Aunt's old house, so it probably only says something about her and Lara's father's side of the family. Maybe the Aunt married a prominent man from Italian society, explaining the renaissance paintings?

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 29-08-17 at 16:49.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-17, 16:55   #23
Wooxman

Quote:
I would've guessed that there're Italian paintings in TR II because Lara goes to Italy in that game and Core wanted to do a bit of foreshadowing.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-17, 03:57   #24
Boobandie

Quote:
Core did introduce Father Patrick as a friend of the family, and there is a chapel on the manor grounds, with possibly a destroyed older one being buried in the race track (that little room up the dirt ramp with the fire could be a bell tower)
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-17, 16:53   #25
Dustie

I was trying to do some Google searches with those super-small paintings, but the best I get is always just some paintings with very similar backdrops (albeit often beautiful ones).
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-17, 18:36   #26
Famicom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
That one isn't shakespeare, or elizabeth. It's Mary Queen of Scotts.

But let's do this...here are all the ones I know.
Excellent! Do you have a large resolution version of this?
Famicom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-17, 20:38   #27
Dustie

That's the size the textures originally come in, so if you want it bigger I think you can just download the image and resize it in Photoshop or Gimp
Old 31-08-17, 23:47   #28
Boobandie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
I was trying to do some Google searches with those super-small paintings, but the best I get is always just some paintings with very similar backdrops (albeit often beautiful ones).
Are you able to find the one of the single horse and rider from TR1/2? I've not been able to locate it yet.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-17, 18:51   #29
Dustie

Quote:
Are you able to find the one of the single horse and rider from TR1/2? I've not been able to locate it yet.
Nope, they seem to be too small to give Google any clue...
Old 02-09-17, 20:19   #30
aidanmalone

Quote:
No luck with that one here too The closest one I've found is this one as a placeholder:

I've been away for a couple of days but my this thread has certainly picked up interest I've always been fascinated in trying to figure out original assets like art and architecture. I'm going to see if I an also create a more 3D looking Ark of the Covenant that sits in her main hall.

Last edited by aidanmalone; 02-09-17 at 20:21.
aidanmalone is offline   Reply With Quote