Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 29-12-17, 18:55   #51
trbr89

Default Best of the classics!

I have finished Tomb Rraider III recently, and it's currently my favourite classic TR game. They were not kidding when they said this game was TOUGH. I admit I used Stella's walkthroughs to get most of the secrets, and even to beat some levels, as I got stuck several times. However, it was an incredible journey.

I loved every single moment of TR3 . Gorgeous locations with superb level design and ambiance, tons of weapons, vehicles and secrets, one of the best classic TR games. TR3 is definitely the high point of the Core Design era, it's just so much fun! This week I finished The Lost Artifact as well, and this stand-alone expansion was even better than TR3 and overall the best "gold" game imho. Level design was even more fascinating with even deadlier traps. The new abilities such as crouching and sprinting were very welcome, greatly enhancing gameplay. My favourite level was "Sleeping with the Fishes", probably the best underwater level in the entire saga. The moment I found the sunk submarine, I swam around for some time just to contemplate the scenery.

Anyway, I highly recommend this gem for classic TR fans. It's very hard, but it's a very rewarding experience too. 9.5/10.

Last edited by trbr89; 29-12-17 at 19:02.
trbr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-17, 02:01   #52
LaraCablara

It's my favorite but it's certainly classic Tomb Raider at its best and worse. Best location variety, vehicles, atmosphere, and length but for real some of the most confusing level design and poorly thought out puzzles and save system (for playstation players) that the series has ever seen . Would have benefited more if it played like Tomb Raider 4 with some kind of hub system and a crowbar that didn't fall on the ground after you used it.
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-17, 22:13   #53
trbr89

I forgot to mention I used the patch to remove save crystals to make the game a bit more challenging. Imho, it's the way it should be played, save crystals make TR3 too easy, and there are more than enough health items during the course of the game anyway.

Last edited by trbr89; 30-12-17 at 22:15.
trbr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-17, 23:07   #54
Nemo_91

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbr89 View Post
I have finished Tomb Rraider III recently, and it's currently my favourite classic TR game. They were not kidding when they said this game was TOUGH. I admit I used Stella's walkthroughs to get most of the secrets, and even to beat some levels, as I got stuck several times. However, it was an incredible journey.

I loved every single moment of TR3 . Gorgeous locations with superb level design and ambiance, tons of weapons, vehicles and secrets, one of the best classic TR games. TR3 is definitely the high point of the Core Design era, it's just so much fun! This week I finished The Lost Artifact as well, and this stand-alone expansion was even better than TR3 and overall the best "gold" game imho. Level design was even more fascinating with even deadlier traps. The new abilities such as crouching and sprinting were very welcome, greatly enhancing gameplay. My favourite level was "Sleeping with the Fishes", probably the best underwater level in the entire saga. The moment I found the sunk submarine, I swam around for some time just to contemplate the scenery.

Anyway, I highly recommend this gem for classic TR fans. It's very hard, but it's a very rewarding experience too. 9.5/10.
I agree with all of this. I now know every secret by memory and it feels good lol. While I do think TR3 is the 'hardest', I feel like TR4 is the more confusing, because of the hub system (especially Cairo, ugh).

I actually completed Lost Artifact this week for the first time too. Sleeping with the Fishes is definitely the best swimming level in the classics. I loved the dolphins. My other favorites were Highland Fling and Shakespeare Cliff.
Nemo_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-18, 18:36   #55
TR1249

Bumping this since I start to adore it too (especially after Shadow). Had a lot of fun with London (yes even with Lud's Gate) and now I'm off to the South Pacific aka my second fave section
TR1249 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-18, 05:59   #56
ANoDE
Golden

TR3 was always one of my favourites. I have to admit, I never played it on the PS, only on the PC, which probably gave a completely different experience. This game must be unbelievable hard without the ability to save anywhere.

Other than that, I enjoy most areas of the game. I try to get the London part over with as quickly as possible, because after that it just gets better
ANoDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-18, 13:37   #57
RAID

TR3 is the holy grail of Tomb Raider. It's perfect in every way.

The only game that competes with it is TR4. I was always torn between which of the 2 I love the most.
RAID is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-18, 13:44   #58
xdesperado_

There was a time when TR3 was my most favourite in the series, but I realised I had more fun with TR2.

Though I have to say TR3 has the best costumes in the classic era, the Nevada one is totally badass.

The Nevada and South Pacific levels are my faves. I tend to get a little tired with the London ones.

Last edited by xdesperado_; 03-10-18 at 13:56.
xdesperado_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-18, 17:40   #59
Final Count

I don't just adore Tomb Raider III - I've been madly in love with it for 20 years

I also think it's the best game in the series. It often does poorly on Tomb Raider series rankings, mainly because of the difficulty of the PlayStation version, lack of tombs, and what many describe as horrible and confusing level design. Due to reading a lot of these, I actually started doubting if TRIII would still be my favourite on a new playthrough. I had afterall finally completed the first Tomb Raider game, since I last played Tomb Raider III, and I was blown away by it. But when playing Tomb Raider III again, I realized it's still my favourite. I think it's perfect.
Final Count is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-18, 11:08   #60
bekim

This game is ****ing iconic! Truly ahead of its time
bekim is offline   Reply With Quote