Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 03-07-18, 19:29   #11
Lily.J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux
I never had a big issue with them in Legend, because I did find they conversations with Lara quite amusing and they had personalities.
This. The "vibes" of Legend, no matter the impression of isolation, would have certainly been less seductive and entertaining and would have had less personality, especially concerning the narration. There are things I can blame with Legend. But Zip and Alister, for these little 7-8 hours of playing, are not part of them.

I do not know if the mood of Zip and Alister would have matched the black and serious tone of Underworld.

Last edited by Lily.J; 03-07-18 at 20:34.
Lily.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-18, 20:48   #12
Dennis's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily.J View Post
This. The "vibes" of Legend, no matter the impression of isolation, would have certainly been less seductive and entertaining and would have had less personality, especially concerning the narration. There are things I can blame with Legend. But Zip and Alister, for these little 7-8 hours of playing, are not part of them.

I do not know if the mood of Zip and Alister would have matched the black and serious tone of Underworld.

Yeah, Legend's storytelling is the best, IMO, even though I really didn't like the game.
Dennis's Mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-18, 12:02   #13
ostercy

No
ostercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-18, 12:13   #14
Lily.J

Last edited by Lily.J; 04-07-18 at 12:16.
Lily.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-18, 00:19   #15
jackali
Golden

I feel as though they were deliberately used less resulting from the backlash to them in Legend.

They couldn't cut them entirely without some sort of explanation between the games. Well, they could have but it would have been stupid.
jackali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-18, 20:00   #16
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackali View Post
I feel as though they were deliberately used less resulting from the backlash to them in Legend.

They couldn't cut them entirely without some sort of explanation between the games. Well, they could have but it would have been stupid.
Yeah they probably were, I just feel like they were used a little too less.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-18, 18:29   #17
Pyro99

I think that like Sam's disappearance from Rise, it's the same thing with Zip and Alister, they got poor feedback from old-time fans after Legend, so CD got too eager to fix it and got completely rid of them. Alister's death was another example of this (or maybe a cheap attempt to make the game feel more mature?), but exactly because of his barely appearing prior to it, it fell completely flat and didn't really cause any kind of emotional reaction. Winston is a loved character who was completely ignored for some reason, although his conversations with Lara are always nice, and Zip also got completely ignored, and only had a tiny hint of tension in his relationship with Lara after Alister died, which was thrown out the window. There should probably have been at least a few more bits of communication between Lara and the boys
Pyro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-18, 15:07   #18
Legends

I was never bothered too much by Zip and Alister in Legend like a lot of people were. Sure, sometimes they were annoying, but most of the time I enjoyed them. I liked the sarcastic humor, it worked well. People used to complain day in and out about GROZAA. Alistair was actually quite interesting in Legend and I didn't want them to kill him off. Legend was a better package than Underworld, and that's partly because of Zip and Alistair.

Underworld is such a puzzle for me. I do enjoy the game, however not as much as Legend. Underworld felt like a game they "had to make" because of Legend, but they changed what they were doing halfway through.

I feel like Zip and Alister were better side kicks than Jonah or any of the reboot characters. Zip and Alister were relevant in order to help Lara on her adventure, but from her home with research and tech, and the acting was in pace with what you were doing.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-18, 15:24   #19
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post
I was never bothered too much by Zip and Alister in Legend like a lot of people were. Sure, sometimes they were annoying, but most of the time I enjoyed them. I liked the sarcastic humor, it worked well. People used to complain day in and out about GROZAA. Alistair was actually quite interesting in Legend and I didn't want them to kill him off. Legend was a better package than Underworld, and that's partly because of Zip and Alistair.

Underworld is such a puzzle for me. I do enjoy the game, however not as much as Legend. Underworld felt like a game they "had to make" because of Legend, but they changed what they were doing halfway through.

I feel like Zip and Alister were better side kicks than Jonah or any of the reboot characters. Zip and Alister were relevant in order to help Lara on her adventure, but from her home with research and tech, and the acting was in pace with what you were doing.
Yeah same, I Love Underworld for Lara's moves (Like FINALLY being able to shoot multiple targets with duals at once, only previous game to have that was AOD, and you needed to hack the pistols back in for that, also you can roundhouse kick a panther, which is what I've always wanted) and the environments.

But the story almost felt like a weird side-story at times, I Swear if you took Alistar's death out and the rushed conclusion to Amanda/Lara's rivalry, plus the rushed mother zombie moment (though I honestly liked that scene with how Lara wordlessly fell to her knees, clearly trying her hardest to keep herself in check, seriously that is one of the reasons I think LAU has way better facial animations than the Reboot, sure they look slightly worse, but they use them so well!), it feels like the only real moment of the plot with any sort of build-up/depth is Natla (who I did like, because who can't like LAU Natla?, yeah her motivation is more generic, but her VA sells it so well.), it clearly didn't have much story put in it, and you could have easily made this a spin-off just with the Natla stuff.

It seriously feels like they had a sub-plot with Natla, made stuff with it, then had to force in a solution to the rest of the LAU stuff after it, I liked the Norse themes, but the fact everything was Norse in the end (except our stint in Mexico) was disappointing, the fact a good chunk of the Underworld team were apparently forced to work on Anniversary thanks to the Publisher not wanting Core to work on it because they wanted everything to be "In house", probably didn't help.

Last edited by Samz; 11-07-18 at 15:40.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-18, 19:15   #20
Legends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
Yeah same, I Love Underworld for Lara's moves (Like FINALLY being able to shoot multiple targets with duals at once, only previous game to have that was AOD, and you needed to hack the pistols back in for that, also you can roundhouse kick a panther, which is what I've always wanted) and the environments.

But the story almost felt like a weird side-story at times, I Swear if you took Alistar's death out and the rushed conclusion to Amanda/Lara's rivalry, plus the rushed mother zombie moment (though I honestly liked that scene with how Lara wordlessly fell to her knees, clearly trying her hardest to keep herself in check, seriously that is one of the reasons I think LAU has way better facial animations than the Reboot, sure they look slightly worse, but they use them so well!), it feels like the only real moment of the plot with any sort of build-up/depth is Natla (who I did like, because who can't like LAU Natla?, yeah her motivation is more generic, but her VA sells it so well.), it clearly didn't have much story put in it, and you could have easily made this a spin-off just with the Natla stuff.

It seriously feels like they had a sub-plot with Natla, made stuff with it, then had to force in a solution to the rest of the LAU stuff after it, I liked the Norse themes, but the fact everything was Norse in the end (except our stint in Mexico) was disappointing, the fact a good chunk of the Underworld team were apparently forced to work on Anniversary thanks to the Publisher not wanting Core to work on it because they wanted everything to be "In house", probably didn't help.
The multiple targets was a great addition, and I love how they showed it off in the launch trailer. It's such a shame they've traded it for "take cover and shoot", and with a bow I might add.

I've always thought her expressions and face moments are "best" in lau. Sure, you can always find stupid faces, the emotion is completely different. I believe Underworld Lara with her emotions. I don't believe reboot Lara at all.

Regarding Natla in Underworld. How did she really end up there? When they made Legend and ended it on a "cliffhanger" what did they originally have in mind for the second part? Did they even think that far ahead at that time? It seems as though because of all the Core mess with Anniversary, they kind of just went with Natla after they made Anniversary. She was probably not going to be the villain (alongside Amanda) before they worked on Anniversary, so it seems like she was just conveniently placed there. I could be wrong of course, it's only speculation on my part. Regardless, I liked the story and I even like Natla in it. I'm just curious. If it's one thing I wish they dropped it's the Lara's Shadow storyline where Natla didn't really die at the end of Underworld and the doppelganger is actually the one who kills her. I've just erased that part from my brain.

I wish they'd included the extended ending as the true ending also.

Legends is offline   Reply With Quote