Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 19-12-09, 03:34   #1
AmericanAssassin

Red face I'm Starting At A University Soon And I Need Some Tips!

Okay, so I seriously feel like I'm about to have a panic attack right now. You see, I'm starting at Vincennes University in 20 days. 20 days! I'm going to be living three hours away from my mom in a town where I know absolutely nobody. Zero people. I don't know how to get over my nerves right now. Any tips for that? Any tips for how to get through school successfully? I'm greatful for all help.
AmericanAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-09, 03:37   #2
larafan25

holly crap I don't know what to say O.O

congradulations on getting into the university...

ummm... do you have any friends you could coax to go live with you...whether they are going to that school or not?
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-09, 03:38   #3
AmericanAssassin

No, I'm living in the dormitories with somebody I haven't met yet. Plus, most of my friends are already enrolled at other schools...
Old 19-12-09, 03:42   #4
BoyTRaider

Nice! That is always exciting!

Well, first of all, you gotta realize that you are only living 3 hours away from your mom. There are students that go out of state.

So if you think on that perspective, that should already be a plus with your situation.

Just try to embrace the fact that you are going to school to proceed with your education and you will experience a whole new level of responsibility in your life. It will be fun.

Sorta like the first few steps into adulthood. I have a feeling you'll do just fine.
BoyTRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-09, 03:43   #5
larafan25

^oh well thats good

you won't be alone....

do you know if you go to your dorm before your classes(I'd assume so)

then you could meet your room mate and see if you have any classes together...from their you can meet other people...it won't be as bad as you think...well not bad but nerve racking..............
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-09, 03:46   #6
Trigger_happy

I've just finished my first uni semester! I'm loving it as well!

A few hints: talk to everybody- even if you wouldn't do so normally. Bring some food and fun with you- both always break the ice! Just prop your room door open and say hi to anyone that walks past.

And remember: everyone is just as nervous so don't feel like your the only worried one. And have fun and be yourself!
Trigger_happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-09, 03:54   #7
AmericanAssassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyTRaider View Post
Well, first of all, you gotta realize that you are only living 3 hours away from your mom. There are students that go out of state.
Yeah, I guess. My brother (who is a year younger) is going to be living 11 hours away starting next fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyTRaider View Post
Just try to embrace the fact that you are going to school to proceed with your education and you will experience a whole new level of responsibility in your life. It will be fun.

Sorta like the first few steps into adulthood. I have a feeling you'll do just fine.
I really hope you're right. I am excited. It's like 50/50 of excitement and nervousness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
do you know if you go to your dorm before your classes(I'd assume so)
Yes, I'll be moving in about four days before classes start. Although, the first two days will be scheduling and planning stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
then you could meet your room mate and see if you have any classes together...from their you can meet other people...it won't be as bad as you think...well not bad but nerve racking..............
Meeting people is so freaking hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger_happy View Post
A few hints: talk to everybody- even if you wouldn't do so normally. Bring some food and fun with you- both always break the ice! Just prop your room door open and say hi to anyone that walks past.
I'm so shy when it comes to new people. That won't be easy for me at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger_happy View Post
And remember: everyone is just as nervous so don't feel like your the only worried one. And have fun and be yourself!
I hate that almost everybody has been there for a semester already and I'm just starting.
Old 19-12-09, 05:34   #8
Solice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanAssassin View Post
Okay, so I seriously feel like I'm about to have a panic attack right now. You see, I'm starting at Vincennes University in 20 days. 20 days! I'm going to be living three hours away from my mom in a town where I know absolutely nobody. Zero people. I don't know how to get over my nerves right now. Any tips for that? Any tips for how to get through school successfully? I'm greatful for all help.
You are starting a grand adventure, keep that in mind. High School pails in compared to the college experience.

Also, most people you meet will also be there for the first time. You will find you will bond with them quickly.
Solice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-09, 05:54   #9
rowanlim

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanAssassin View Post
Don't panic! Don't worry about it, take a breather, list down what you want to achieve when you're at uni, do some research about the kind of activities you can join while you're there, get to know the local area & people.

Think of it as an adventure & another step in your life. University life is one of the best times in your life, make it as awesome as possible
rowanlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-09, 06:54   #10
LaraLuvrrr
Inactive

Its normal to be nervous when you first start Uni. Dont worry about making friends. If you make em ok and if you dont it doesnt matter.

I think your mindset is whats creating your anxiety not the Uni itself cuz its perfectly normal to go off to Uni and do the daily grind lol

I say dont fret and just take one thing at a time. Dont let it overpower you know that you have the ability to handle ANYTHING that comes your way

I hope it goes well for you!
LaraLuvrrr is offline   Reply With Quote