Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 15-04-18, 22:34   #1
Noobelli

Default Top 10 Tomb Raider Songs

These are my 10 favorite songs from the Tomb Raider series. Note: I haven't listened to the Crystal Dynamics soundtracks yet. Feel free to discuss and make your own list, as I'm curious on what other people think of the TR soundtracks

1. No Waiting Around - Part 1 (TR3) - I think this has to be the most epic song of all time. It would sound amazing in a new Tomb Raider movie trailer, and it has that epic feel of breaking out of a prison, which is perfect for High Security Compound. The first time I heard this, I just stopped playing and listened.

2. Boss 1 (TR4) - This is another super epic song. It feels chaotic and almost halloween-ish, and it really fits the apocalypse setting of Cairo. It's also paired with my favorite timed challenge in all of TR, and it plays on repeat on the last level of the game. That itself makes me really like Temple of Horus despite its bugs.

3. Egyptian Mood 2 (TR4) - This song is so beautiful, and it's a shame that it only plays twice (correct me if I'm wrong) throughout the entirety of The Last Revelation. It really is the perfect Egyptian Mood, and it fits with the atmosphere of Sacred Lake.

4. Time to Run - Part 1 (TR1) - Besides The Great Pyramid, I'm not sure where else this song plays, but it's awesome. I can't really explain why I love it. I just love the sound of all the instruments. You'll have to give it a listen to understand the beauty.

5. Main Theme (AoD) - If there's one thing this game got right, it's the main theme. It's so epic and over-the-top and I love it. It almost sounds sad at some points, which fits because the thought of what AoD could've been makes me sad.

6. TR4 Title - This is another awesome main theme. It's pretty epic and also has a little bit of a sad feel like the Angel of Darkness' theme. This one feels sad for a better reason: Lara dies. Overall, it's very pretty and fitting for the game.

7. End Credits (TRC) - Hate me all you want, but I really love this song. It's over-the-top, futuristic, and epic. I really like the modern and glitched feel to it, and it does fit the VCI levels (it wouldn't fit in TR otherwise).

8. The T-Rex - Part 1 (TR1) - This song gives everyone Vietnam flashbacks, but it's epic. There's not much else to say about it.

9. Something Spooky In That Jungle (TR3) - This song is really cool and mysterious like many TR3 songs, and it has an exotic Indian feel to it.

10. The Skidoo (TR2) - There's a running theme with these songs. They all fit really well for the situation! This one really fits the action flick feel of Tomb Raider 2. It's awesome to run over Italians with a snowmobile while listening to this epic song.
Noobelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-18, 22:54   #2
SrDanielPonces

there MUST be something wrong when the main theme isnt there
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-18, 00:35   #3
Yeauxleaux

God I could be here all day going through the beautiful soundtracks of all the games. I’ll just post some that immediately came to mind though. This isn’t a ranked top 10, I’m just listing some faves;

- TR1 Main Theme, I mean obviously.

- The iconic Venice Violins (I actually have that as my morning alarm)

- This one from TR3 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At0bCIMuGns

- The puzzle theme from TR3, idk why but this one in particular really gets the 90s nostalgia going - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9ItrdOmfjQ

- I’m going to agree with the OP on TR3’s No Waiting Around. I actually think this is even more iconic than TR1’s theme as a “theme tune” for Lara and the series. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C25NVoPfA4

- I like this one from TR4, short but for me it really captures something about TR4’s story and atmosphere that’s inexplicable and mysterious, impending doom. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHHztWoiSBU

- From AoD - The Main Theme, and the Parisian Backstreets

- The Japan penthouse party music from Legend - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu0_hsIA4xA - Sexy, sophisticated, wouldn't sound out of place if you were having hot steamy shower sex tbh but it's smooth and easy on the ears.

-The Thailand music from Underworld is so serene and beautiful as well. If only I could find a long continuous version of this, I’d meditate to it every day - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrQtriBH0tE

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 16-04-18 at 04:31.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-18, 02:02   #4
WWETombRaider

Aaaaangel of daaaarkness, aaangel of daaaarkness, the world is in your hand. /jk

Since I'm on mobile (the struggle is real) I'll only link a couple:

All of the main themes from TR1 - Legend.

Cradle to Grave in TR2 that only plays once in Bartoli's Hideout.

T-Rex theme from TR1 is ofc iconic.

Venice Violins from TR2.

The music that plays on the ship in TRU when Lara has Thor's Hammer.

The music that was used in the TReboot trailer during the VGAs in 2012.
WWETombRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-18, 04:09   #5
trfan16

This is my top 10 list, in no particular order:

1.) Time to Run (TRI) - Good choice OP, this was one of my favorite themes from the first game too. It almost always played at the most epic moments like in the Thor room of St. Francis Folly, after Lara grabs the Scion in Tomb of Qualopec and the temple starts to collapse, and the final fight against Natla.

2.) Chambers (TRI/TRII) - This theme was used in the first three games (TRIII's was more of a remix), but I thought it matched the ambiance of most of the level it was used. I was glad that TRII allowed the track to actually repeat itself.

3.) Venice Violins (TRII) - It was the only redeeming value of the Venice level for me.

4.) "Whisper theme" (TRII/TRIII) - I don't remember the exact name, but it was the theme used in Temple of Xian and Lost City of Tinnos. It was both disturbing and ominous and fit perfectly in the otherworldly designs of the levels it was featured in.

5.) Tomb Raider main theme - This one goes without saying.

6.) Boss Theme (TRIV) - It kind of sounds like it has flashes of the main theme in the mix.

7.) Jungles of India (TRIII) - TRIII had some amazing and beautiful soundtracks. It just made the whole India section seem surreal.

8.) Stone the Crow (TRIII) - This is the soundtrack that plays when you are in a dangerous situation. There are many variations of this soundtrack, and I don't have any particular favorite one. But you know something bad is going to happen when you hear it.

9.) The Snowmobile theme (TRII) - I'm not super fond of Tibetan Foothills, but the soundtrack was on point.

10.) Level end theme (TRII) - The theme that plays when you reach the end of an level. I don't know, it's just satisfying to hear after all that hard work.

There are a few soundtrackthat I like from the LAU and Reboot games. But I don't remember the names from the top of my head and I need to search for them. I might modify my list to include them.
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-18, 06:16   #6
HD Simplicityy

The TReboot theme track is nice, after analyzing it closer thanks to a thread in that respective subform.

London, Rise of the Tomb Raider, ...the whole album to Rise I like. Doesn't have much variation in sounds and rhythm though.
HD Simplicityy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-18, 06:32   #7
suli
Inactive

TR4 main theme is the best of the series and entire gaming. So beautiful, so sad, so heartbreaking. It foreshadows the devastating finale of the game in a way. I can listen to it on repeat for days and days.
suli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-18, 06:39   #8
laracroftswest

Nice picks everyone. I'm trying to pick those that span across the entire series. These are in chronological order:

1. Main Theme (TR1) - Obvious reasons. I get emotional hearing any iteration of it, but this version takes the cake.

2. T-Rex Theme (TR1) - Also kind of a no brainer. This is the kind of stuff that is engrained in your head permanently. The immediate fear of what's around the corner just comes rushing back. This track hits hard.

3. Longing For Home (TR1) - So mysterious, and really captures everything in the first Tomb Raider quite well. It could honestly be placed in so many parts of the game and would nestle itself in perfectly.

4. Venice Violins (TR2) - So nostalgic. So well done. Fits the mood ridiculously well. Just perfect.

5. Skidoo (TR2) - I get really excited hearing this one because I can place it so well in a live action Tomb Raider 2 film even now and the thrill of it is just enticing.

6. Something Spooky in That Jungle (TR3) - Wow. Another stunning piece that would fit so well in a film like The Mummy or a live action Tomb Raider 3.

7. Last Revelation Theme (Paul Oakenfold Remix) (TR4) - Kind of a strange choice here, but I've always loved how trance-y this is and how it keeps the source theme quite intact. Also if I'm not mistaken this can be heard in a scene during Lethal and Loaded...brings back some good memories.

8. Main Theme (Angel of Darkness) - A beautifully epic, yet tragic piece. This entire soundtrack is really good, but hearing the dark tone integrated with the original theme via orchestra is something else. This just never gets old.

9. Main Theme (Legend) - There's something so beautifully heroic and bold about this one. I feel like I hear pieces and influences from cultures of every location in the game when listening to this...another knock out of the park for Tomb Raider's main themes.

10. Overture (Temple of Osiris) - I find this might be the most underrated piece of music in the series since its exposure was limited to Temple of Osiris. It's fun, it's epic, it's Egyptian, it's Tomb Raider. It doesn't incorporate a theme that we're used to hearing, but boy would I love to have this in a main game somewhere.

Honorable mentions:

All of Coastal Thailand's score (Underworld) - Stunning in every way. Immersive, subtle, you name it, its got it. Just magic. Reminds me of something I'd maybe hear in Tarzan.

A Survivor Is Born (Tomb Raider 2013) - I love how this is pretty far off from the rest of the game. It's a slow burner, and feels kind of ominous yet empowering. Something about the middle section reminds me a lot of the Pandora's Box music from Cradle of Life.

Last edited by laracroftswest; 23-04-18 at 22:18.
laracroftswest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-18, 06:40   #9
Lily.J

In some discussions on Youtube or the web in general, many say that Tomb Raider Legend is until today the best OST of Tomb Raider.

And I must admit that I quite agree. It is the longest, most colorful, varied, inspired and especially the most modern, alongside the charm of old opus.

Troels Brun Folmann highly deserved his two Bafta for the composition of Tomb Raider Legend.

But my heart remains personally loyal to Tomb Raider 1.
Lily.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-18, 07:17   #10
suli
Inactive

I agree Legend has the best overall soundtrack. The Nepal theme <333333
suli is offline   Reply With Quote