Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 21-07-07, 11:22   #1
Reggie

Default Anyone here who has studied psychology?

Yesterday, I arrived back from a University residential where I was able to get taster of subjects on offer and an idea of what student life is like.
One subject I particularly enjoyed was psychology, something which I've also been interested in before.

After doing the 5-day residential, I've decided to look into the subject more. I'm due to study psychology at college as well so whether you've studied psychology at college or Uni, it would be great to get some insight from you, my fellow TRF members.

Hopefully, some people who are in a similar position to me (be it considering the subject or needing to know what may be in store) will find any insights helpful.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-07, 11:24   #2
Ward Dragon
Golden

I can only give some general advice-- any class can be extremely interesting or painfully boring depending on who is teaching it. Try to get an idea of who the professors are before you sign up for their classes
Ward Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-07, 12:31   #3
tlr online
Tomb Raider Forums

Yup, I have. I preferred the biology behind the science (the neurons and how they react in the brain... etc) to the actual behavioural science, but both was very interesting. Of course, much of the science is still very speculative, IMO. I only went as far as A-level tho, I didn't study at Uni.
tlr online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-07, 12:44   #4
MiCkiZ88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Dragon View Post
I can only give some general advice-- any class can be extremely interesting or painfully boring depending on who is teaching it. Try to get an idea of who the professors are before you sign up for their classes
That'll be my advice aswell. I only had two months of psychology in my school. But gonna study some more this fall. And I hope that I'm going to get the better (=funny and sarcastic) teacher. It's far more enjoyable when the teacher is good. But it can be really dull if the teacher is someone who just mumbles something that you cant hear -.-
MiCkiZ88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-07, 14:23   #5
petujaymz

I don't need to...

petujaymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-07, 18:40   #6
Reggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Dragon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiCkiZ88 View Post
That'll be my advice aswell. I only had two months of psychology in my school. But gonna study some more this fall. And I hope that I'm going to get the better (=funny and sarcastic) teacher. It's far more enjoyable when the teacher is good. But it can be really dull if the teacher is someone who just mumbles something that you cant hear -.-
I never would've thought of looking into who actually teaches the subject wherever I choose to go to. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr online View Post
Yup, I have. I preferred the biology behind the science (the neurons and how they react in the brain... etc) to the actual behavioural science, but both was very interesting. Of course, much of the science is still very speculative, IMO. I only went as far as A-level tho, I didn't study at Uni.
You say you prefer the biology behind it. I'm thinking of choosing Biology as one of my I.B. subjects (its similar to A levels but with a broader range of subjects and some other differences) instead of Environmental science.

I'm quite atracted to the subject being speculative though. I like to speculate and make theories about things as opposed to following known facts, that's how I seem to work judging by which subjects I'm best at which are usually based more on ideas.
Old 22-07-07, 04:53   #7
Little-Lara

I think the thing about the teacher only matters to an extent, and the rest is upto yourself 50/50. I only studied Evolutionary Phychology and it was interesting as heck. I use it everyday. U could ask me things. I learned.......

men seek status and women seek partnership, as least how it used to be.
Women seek the best genes and good income in a partner so her children will be happy and healthy (supposedly.)
A sibling wants to keep 75% to him/herself more than another sibling since birth.
Autism is very interesting, but hard to describe. There's a cute little cartoon in my book which I have to scan to share with u...
When a pigeon sees food, it cries out "food." Then it fights with the other pigeons that was just called to the food.
Tit for tat reciprocity = you help me and I'll help you. (Remember the episode from Friends where Chandler accidentally sees Rachel naked?)
The way we look now is because of Sexual Selection. Nudity allowed for the best of body types to be selected.
Jealousy is still here because jealousy was able to hold on to a partner and have children.

Wooosh I'm so tired now, but you could ask if u have any questions.
Little-Lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-07, 10:55   #8
Reggie

I find all of that to be very interesting. Its amazing how much of an insight you get into things with this subject. Thanks for sharing that

How long have you been studying psychology?
Old 22-07-07, 15:55   #9
Dac_10

ive just finished A level psychology and am taking it up at uni in september, its by far the most interesting subject. if you have any specific questions ill try my best to answer them
Dac_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-07, 02:20   #10
Little-Lara

I studied it for just one quarter, I had to take it as a General Ed subject, I had no choice but to take it. Turns out, I loved it, but it was soooooooo freakin' hard. Some took tape-recorders with them. BTW, u must take a tape-recorder and ask u'r teacher on the first day of class if u can use it for the whole quarter (everyday).

FYI: It's illegal to use tape-recorder on someone without their permission, unless u have permission from the FBI, as far as I know.
Little-Lara is offline   Reply With Quote