Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Last Revelation

Old 03-07-18, 11:39   #1
Maverin

Default Impossible to lose to sennet

Hello everyone.

I'm playing through tomb raider 4 the last revelation and am now at tomb of the Semerkhet. I have not used any form of glitches or cheats. I am doing a no scratch run and used the beetles trick from xtimz but that shouldn't have anything to do with it.

so here is the problem: after retrieving the rules of the sennet and trying to play the game I always end up winning because the Senet doesn't even move his pieces. He does spin the cards but nothing ever happens forcing me to win every time. All of my earlier save files fail to solve this problem. Is there a trigger I missed somewhere at the very beginning of the level or something

update: even my way of winning is severely glitched. I can only move my blue and green pieces and not the red one. My blue and green pieces move tripple or more the squares they can normally move.. for example the green one ends up almost at the end square first turn. After the blue and green piece have reached the end (in almost no time) the red one just vanishes and I have won the game..

Last edited by Maverin; 06-07-18 at 10:08.
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-18, 12:31   #2
fallenangle

I don't think it is broken but it is definitely very difficult to lose. That means if you actually want to lose and get the, arguably more interesting, alternative route you often have to play it several times, badly, before it will allow you to lose.

The board in TR4 is a great simplification of the real game which is actually rather complicated:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9XIMkapokc

The rules in TR4 are provided but the route down and up the board is not that obvious the first time you play. The first square for each piece is not their 'home' colour square it is the first one (left) of the four squares adjacent to the 'home' ones. The diagram here explains it far better:-

https://tombraiders.net/stella/walks...semerkhet.html

If you didn't realise that it might seem the piece didn't move particularly if the 'throw' ended up with it adjacent to its 'home' square. For example if you throw a two and use it to move the blue piece it will end up adjacent to the blue square.

Once you understand the movement route it might make more sense what you're seeing. You also have to recognise the Ankh squares which give the players an extra 'throw'. Your opponent has an extra Ankh on his fourth square.

There is an outside possibility all your or your opponents pieces can't move because the furthest piece up the board is, for instance, three squares from the final Ankh and the second piece six squares from it and the third piece also six squares from that too. if you throw a six no piece can move.

Last edited by fallenangle; 05-07-18 at 01:03.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-18, 21:38   #3
Maverin

Thanks for replying fallenangle. I guess not too many people still play these games today, let alone remember the levels.. so I didn't expect an extensive response such as yours! I have to admit that I was confused about how the game worked and both links you provided as well as your explanation clarified some things I never completely understood.

However, the thing I described in the OP is most definitely a glitch. 100% sure of it. The Senet does never ever move any of his pieces, no matter the whites and blacks he may have thrown. And I have literately had my green piece move to the end in one turn, which is impossible since you can only move a max of 6 squares every turn. My red piece can't move but that's not even necessary in order for me to win the game, while during normal gameplay all three of the pieces have to reach the final square.

I've done extensive testing and still cannot make out exactly what causes the glitch. But my best bet is that it has something to do with saving a lot and reloading in the first area with the beetles (the one with the pole in the middle and the three niches). I did save a lot there to achieve my no scratch challenge. You can watch a video of Xtimz doing the same no-scratch challenge there (this may also clarify the area I'm referring to) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kRJH7A7RzQ.

For now I've just played from the start of the level up to losing the now non-glitched game without saving or reloading. This caused my no scratch challenge to fail but in exchange did not trigger the glitch. I've then used the fly hack briefly to regain my health, as I rightfully deserved. Not using any cheats or hacks again of course, I'm now happily continuing my challenge. Thank you so much for trying to help me though

If anyone knows about this glitch after all, please feel still free to share what you know. Might help some players in the future.

Last edited by Maverin; 06-07-18 at 10:06.
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-18, 05:09   #4
red_lion

Just one thing. The game is called "senet" not "sennet".
red_lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-18, 23:24   #5
akci

At first I was clueless, but your second post gave me an idea, where you narrowed it down to saving. It's still just a shot in the dark, so don't hold it against me if doesn't work.
The reach-in switches when they contain a pickup are known to cause a bug, both here in Semerkhet and custom levels. If you save during reaching in, appearently the pickup disappearing from the game world and appearing in your backpack is not exactly instantaneous, and if you manage to save just betwixt, within that tiny delay, you lose the pickup. Not if you keep on playing uninterrupted though, but if you actually use that savegame later and continue from it.
Now, this bug has nothing to do with your senet bug, but I'm thinking maybe if those reach-in switches can cause one kind of bug, they might cause another.
These switches have another peculiarity, they can be used a second time. Then they do absolutely nothing, so it's just a thing.
Can you remember saving during reaching in? If yes, and you still have a save from the glitchy senet game, it may worth a try to go back and use them again. There's small chance that it will solve the problem. Probably won't though.
akci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-24, 13:17   #6
CroftedManor

I ran the same situation. At first I tought the reason was I took the torch from the beetle room, but then I tried without using it and the bug remained.
CroftedManor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-24, 17:31   #7
CroftedManor

I think I found out the problem: you can't destroy the gourds at the sides of the gate opened from the beatles' room when it's open or can't reach the bottom of the room before landing on the floor of that gate.
I avoided those actions and Senet worked as usual.
CroftedManor is offline   Reply With Quote