Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Comics, Books and Novels

Old 03-06-18, 16:25   #1
Pyro99

Default Classic Comics' Timeline

I recently started reading the classic Tomb Raider comics, and I wanted to see what you guys think: The Survivor comics are obviously part of the current canon, but the classics belong to a separate timeline. If you had to fit them into one of the main timelines, would you consider the Lara of the classic comics to be the same as Core Lara? On the one hand, they were published during the Core era, and it's nice to attribute a few more adventures and personality traits to classic Lara, but at the same time, she feels similar to Angelina Lara, who partly inspired Legend Lara's lifestyle.

(In the same way, I'm curious about whether Lara's fun adventures in the Revisioned animated series can fit into the Legend timeline seeing how they were released around the same time, even if it's a different voice actress)
Pyro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-18, 17:29   #2
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro99 View Post
I recently started reading the classic Tomb Raider comics, and I wanted to see what you guys think: The Survivor comics are obviously part of the current canon, but the classics belong to a separate timeline. If you had to fit them into one of the main timelines, would you consider the Lara of the classic comics to be the same as Core Lara? On the one hand, they were published during the Core era, and it's nice to attribute a few more adventures and personality traits to classic Lara, but at the same time, she feels similar to Angelina Lara, who partly inspired Legend Lara's lifestyle.

(In the same way, I'm curious about whether Lara's fun adventures in the Revisioned animated series can fit into the Legend timeline seeing how they were released around the same time, even if it's a different voice actress)
The Top Cow comics are their separate canon. In fact, the Tomb Raider games exist within the Top Cow comics as fictional work based on the "real" Lara Croft life.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-18, 18:11   #3
TrustyBow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
The Top Cow comics are their separate canon. In fact, the Tomb Raider games exist within the Top Cow comics as fictional work based on the "real" Lara Croft life.
Wait, really? That's pretty awesome.

I recently started reading them too, and I have to say, I'm not too big of a fan. Mostly because of Carver. I feel like he's just typical, witty love interest that isn't a love interest.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-18, 19:21   #4
Pyro99

Quote:
oh, really? ive read very little about them, but i suppose thats a cute way to tie everything together
Pyro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-18, 21:41   #5
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
Wait, really? That's pretty awesome.

I recently started reading them too, and I have to say, I'm not too big of a fan. Mostly because of Carver. I feel like he's just typical, witty love interest that isn't a love interest.
You take that back right now! -_-

Jk, of course, but I personally really like Chase Carver and his dynamic with Lara. But different tastes I guess…
Old 04-06-18, 18:34   #6
michaeldt

I love those classic comics so much. Top Cow Lara is the perfect Lara imo, even better than Core Lara in some respects
michaeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-18, 22:47   #7
TrustyBow

Quote:
You take that back right now! -_-

Jk, of course, but I personally really like Chase Carver and his dynamic with Lara. But different tastes I guess…
haha I'm probably being a bit too harsh considering I only read the first 5 issues. I think I just prefer Lara to be alone during her adventures.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-18, 06:44   #8
Boobandie

The timeline of the comics doesn't really mesh with Core's games so I don't try to make them the same canon.

However much like the Five Night's at Freddy's books are a different canon to the games, we can use the comics to fill in some of the blanks. It's likely a lot of these adventures did happen, in albeit different ways. Like how TR1 and Anniversary are about the same artefact in different continuities.

For example in the comics Lara's mother's is referenced to as Andrea, her name was never said in the games or booklets but it's likely that's what Core would have if not directly chose to be her canonical name. Namely because her father is correctly called Lord Henshingly in the same scene lending the information credibility, and Andrea is a developer name (Andrea.trc files in TR5) .
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-18, 18:01   #9
Cezar

Quote:
Really? Great, could you tell me in what comics is the confirmation of this?
Cezar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-18, 22:20   #10
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cezar View Post
Really? Great, could you tell me in what comics is the confirmation of this?
The very last one.

Mild spoilers ahead: The comic starts in a sort of "Lara Croft Museum" where visitors are greeted by a blocky Lara Croft hologram which, when asked about her blocky appearance, says she is not based on the real Lara Croft, but on the first models used on games based on her life.