Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 10-07-18, 08:23   #21
Al_x

I will not believe it until I see it. I'm done listening to them I don't want too hype myself for nothing.
Al_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-18, 08:34   #22
veigafd

With so many dlc's scattered around this time I hope They will give us these and the duals as well. Dlc's main purpose was exactly to add new content when the games didn't were prepared/or didn't had a way to deliver something to us atm.
So with dlc's being released until 2019 they have a pretty good time to work on something like this.
veigafd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-18, 08:40   #23
Princess_Paige
Golden

Why do people keep making out that the developers are liars? I don’t understand, what have they lied about in the past?
Princess_Paige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-18, 08:44   #24
JsotoTRSaga

I am scared to believe, I am scared to be hurt, not again.

My heart will not be able to take it.
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-18, 08:45   #25
veigafd

Yeah I don't remember any lies..it's more about a perception of 'hyping words'. An example to me was the controversy of the rape scene when in reality I didn't see all the fuss about it when I played it. Is it a horrendous situation? Yes. But not like what they make us believe back then.
veigafd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-18, 08:48   #26
biscuits

So much of the stuff they say is confusing and contradictory. Why can't they be straight with us!!???
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-18, 08:56   #27
Princess_Paige
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by veigafd View Post
Yeah I don't remember any lies..it's more about a perception of 'hyping words'. An example to me was the controversy of the rape scene when in reality I didn't see all the fuss about it when I played it. Is it a horrendous situation? Yes. But not like what they make us believe back then.
Wasn’t that scene hyped up by the controversy though? And then they came out and said it wasn’t an attempted rape scene like everyone was saying?
Old 10-07-18, 09:01   #28
LaraFan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Paige View Post
Wasn’t that scene hyped up by the controversy though? And then they came out and said it wasn’t an attempted rape scene like everyone was saying?
If I remember correctly, someone at CD said the islanders were going to try an rape her and later someone else clarified that sexual violence wasn’t a theme in the game or something like that. I can’t remember the names of the specific people involved though.

Edit: I just checked and the person who made the controversial statement was Executive Producer Ron Rosenberg. The person who corrected him was Studio Head Darrell Gallagher. Everything else in the post is correct.

Last edited by LaraFan08; 10-07-18 at 09:15.
LaraFan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-18, 09:13   #29
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Paige View Post
Here is an interview from Ron Rosenberg with Kotaku, also the point I started out-right hating Crystal. (well the new Crystal, alot guys got removed after underworld.)

In the past, Lara Croft didn't need protecting. She was a fearless daredevil, a crack shot in short shorts with enough attitude to scare off a pack of bloodthirsty gorillas.

But in the upcoming Tomb Raider reboot, things will be different. She hasn't become that woman yet. And executive producer Ron Rosenberg says you'll want to keep her safe.

"When people play Lara, they don't really project themselves into the character," Rosenberg told me at E3 last week when I asked if it was difficult to develop for a female protagonist.

"They're more like 'I want to protect her.' There's this sort of dynamic of 'I'm going to this adventure with her and trying to protect her.'"

"She's definitely the hero but— you're kind of like her helper," he said. "When you see her have to face these challenges, you start to root for her in a way that you might not root for a male character."

The new Lara Croft isn't just less battle-hardened; she's less voluptuous. Gone are her ridiculous proportions and skimpy clothing. This Lara feels more human, more real. That's intentional, Rosenberg says.

"You start to root for her in a way that you might not root for a male character."

"The ability to see her as a human is even more enticing to me than the more sexualized version of yesteryear," he said. "She literally goes from zero to hero... we're sort of building her up and just when she gets confident, we break her down again."

In the new Tomb Raider, Lara Croft will suffer. Her best friend will be kidnapped. She'll get taken prisoner by island scavengers. And then, Rosenberg says, those scavengers will try to rape her.

"She is literally turned into a cornered animal," Rosenberg said. "It's a huge step in her evolution: she's forced to either fight back or die."

It's some dark material, the type of content you might not expect from an action-adventure game like Tomb Raider. But Rosenberg isn't worried about alarming people too much. He says players will see right away that this is a darker, "more mature" version of Lara's story. He compared it to the origin story of a comic book like Spider-Man or Batman, saying he thinks it "has that feel to it."

"We're not trying to be over the top, shock people for shock's sake," he said. "We're trying to tell a great origin story."

I really disagree with this interview, Male characters can be relatable and there is no difference between male and female on the that aspect, I've said numerous times before how I think the reboot is an over the top mess that hurts Lara for shock value and I just find this interview disagreeable, to put it mildly.

Last edited by Samz; 10-07-18 at 09:39.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-18, 09:32   #30
Princess_Paige
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
Here is an interview from the Games Director with Kotaku, also the point I started out-right hating Crystal. (well the new Crystal, alot guys got removed after underworld.)

In the past, Lara Croft didn't need protecting. She was a fearless daredevil, a crack shot in short shorts with enough attitude to scare off a pack of bloodthirsty gorillas.

But in the upcoming Tomb Raider reboot, things will be different. She hasn't become that woman yet. And executive producer Ron Rosenberg says you'll want to keep her safe.

"When people play Lara, they don't really project themselves into the character," Rosenberg told me at E3 last week when I asked if it was difficult to develop for a female protagonist.

"They're more like 'I want to protect her.' There's this sort of dynamic of 'I'm going to this adventure with her and trying to protect her.'"

"She's definitely the hero but— you're kind of like her helper," he said. "When you see her have to face these challenges, you start to root for her in a way that you might not root for a male character."

The new Lara Croft isn't just less battle-hardened; she's less voluptuous. Gone are her ridiculous proportions and skimpy clothing. This Lara feels more human, more real. That's intentional, Rosenberg says.

"You start to root for her in a way that you might not root for a male character."

"The ability to see her as a human is even more enticing to me than the more sexualized version of yesteryear," he said. "She literally goes from zero to hero... we're sort of building her up and just when she gets confident, we break her down again."

In the new Tomb Raider, Lara Croft will suffer. Her best friend will be kidnapped. She'll get taken prisoner by island scavengers. And then, Rosenberg says, those scavengers will try to rape her.

"She is literally turned into a cornered animal," Rosenberg said. "It's a huge step in her evolution: she's forced to either fight back or die."

It's some dark material, the type of content you might not expect from an action-adventure game like Tomb Raider. But Rosenberg isn't worried about alarming people too much. He says players will see right away that this is a darker, "more mature" version of Lara's story. He compared it to the origin story of a comic book like Spider-Man or Batman, saying he thinks it "has that feel to it."

"We're not trying to be over the top, shock people for shock's sake," he said. "We're trying to tell a great origin story."

I really disagree with this interview, Male characters can be relatable and there is no difference between male and female on the that aspect, I've said numerous times before how I think the reboot is an over the top mess that hurts Lara for shock value and I just find this interview disagreeable, to put it mildly.
I don’t think they’re hurting Lara for shock value, I think it’s more about showing that she’s human. And at the start she was literally thrown into this awful situation that she didn’t know how to deal with. In Rise she had chosen to go out on her first expedition knowing the danger she faced, and she got hurt less as she was a little more experienced. And in Shadow she is at the height of her abilities, we really didn’t see her get hurt in the gameplay or the trailer and one of the devs said the other day that it’s not going to be like that in Shadow. Like I said i think it’s more been about showing her growth over the three games.

Anyway back on topic, I’m here for the braid and shorts. Although I’m a little surprised about the braid only because it’s been gone for such a long time. I wonder what it will look like though? Are they going to tame her floof as well?