www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > New Member Introductions, Birthdays and Congratulations

Old 12-09-17, 18:24   #1
Alpharaider47
Tomb Raider

Exclamation Returning After a Long Hiatus

It's been awhile tombraiderforums! Many of you may not remember me, some of you might. I've been a member for quite some time, but was mostly active back around 2010-2012 before I started college. I was much younger then and had just moved from California to Washington (the state, not the DC), and was having a difficult time adjusting. This website was a frequent favorite of mine prior to the move, and the friends that I made here helped me weather the next two years after my move. I wouldn't have put much stock in the importance or value of internet friends had I not been in need of them myself, but the community here really did make a difference in my life. However, the trials and ordeals of a four year university took up my time and my posting and visiting here diminished.

Since my last period of real activity here I went to college, earned a bachelor's in Archaeology, became an archaeologist, joined the United States Navy (hooyah), got married, and completed the Navy's Nuclear Power Pipeline. Today I am a Nuclear Electrician's Mate aboard the U.S.S. George Washington, and I'm ashamed to say I play more Uncharted than Tomb Raider these days... That being said, I've still got a soft spot for our lovely lady, and recent projects have turned my attention back to this forum.

When I joined the Navy, I expected to go out to sea and deploy. Instead, I find myself helping my ship conduct refueling and overhaul, and it is my wife- not I, who is traveling the world. She recently left for the Peace Corps and is en route to Morocco to pursue youth development projects there. And thus, I have the time to dedicate to this place once more, which has helped me endure life's challenges in the past.

Now that you've got my life's story since I left, I will fill you all in on a couple projects that I've got going right now. First and foremost, I've managed to acquire one of Sideshow's 1/6 Lara Croft figures from TR Legend and I will be working to customize her and bring her into this decade at the very least. We shall see where she goes from there. I'm also working on building a 1/144 scale remote control U.S.S. Enterprise CV-6. This is a personal project for me, as the Big E is my favorite ship. I'm partial to CVN-65, but she and the Nimitz carriers are a bit large to be doing in the scale I want, and I don't think I can manage the detail required there at my current skill level and time.

Anyhow, hopefully I can manage to frequent here more often than in the past, and I look forward to catching up on some of the goings ons that I might have missed!
Old 12-09-17, 19:04   #2
Alex Fly
Legend

Smile

Welcome back to TRF! Looks like things have been going pretty well for you, it's great to read these. Congrats on your new job too!
Old 13-09-17, 14:38   #3
Greenapple968
Relic Hunter

Welcome back.
Old 13-09-17, 15:39   #4
HarleyCroft
Student

Damn, you've got an interesting life!

Congratulations on all your accomplishments From what you've written, you seem to have many more coming in future
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-17, 15:24   #5
TheRCroft
Tomb Raider

Hey, I do remember you! Quite the story, glad to have you back on TRF
Old 15-09-17, 19:26   #6
Alpharaider47
Tomb Raider

Thanks guys, and hey I see a few familiar usernames here!
Old 15-09-17, 22:39   #7
robm_2007
Legend

Location: Te voy a dar una paliza que no vas a olvidar en tu vida, ˇinválida del demonio!

I don't think I knew you got married! That's fantastic! It's like you went and got a whole life...while some of us have...not

Welcome back!
Old 16-09-17, 22:37   #8
Alpharaider47
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by robm_2007 View Post
I don't think I knew you got married! That's fantastic! It's like you went and got a whole life...while some of us have...not

Welcome back!
Yeah, it's been two years now. My wife and I met in college a little over 5 years ago, that was a little after I stopped frequenting here. I joined the Navy about 2 1/2 years ago now. If I hadn't done that, I wouldn't have much of a life myself right now haha! I kind of pulled an Indiana Jones and had a falling out with my mentor, which led to my exiting archaeology as a career. I had trouble finding work after that and the Navy was the best opportunity to travel and help pull my weight at home. Little did I know I was destined for a carrier that won't deploy until long after I'm back at a shore command. So much for my "sea" tour
Old 18-09-17, 17:39   #9
Reggie
Tomb Raider

Wow. I've been stuck at university for the last seven years. Thought about joining the Navy next year to bust out of my rut. This makes it all the more tempting.

Good to see you back and doing well man. You're not alone in preferring Uncharted these days!
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-17, 15:07   #10
Alpharaider47
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Wow. I've been stuck at university for the last seven years. Thought about joining the Navy next year to bust out of my rut. This makes it all the more tempting.

Good to see you back and doing well man. You're not alone in preferring Uncharted these days!
I had a similar motivation when i joined. I had recently finished college, my boss quit, and my wife was paying pretty much all of the bills. I had two retail jobs that I managed to get into last minute to make ends meet, but I wasn't going anywhere.

I have really enjoyed *almost* all of my time in the Navy, but the nature of the nuclear program is quite grueling unless you have an aptitude for math and are able to digest advanced technical information in a short amount of time and be able to regurgitate it on weekly exams. When I chose my job, they didn't tell me any of that. Partially because my recruiter worked in Aviation Ordnance, but also because the Nuke recruiters don't want you to know- it can be quite discouraging at times. In A-School and Power School (the first two training commands), we worked 8 hour days with mandatory study hours, but our material is classified so you can't bring it home- so if you had 20 hours of mando study to do, you were doing it at work. The last 6ish month portion of my program was called Prototype, and I worked on a training submarine learning different reactor systems and standing different watches in the plant. 12 hour days but on rotating shift work, with a 4 day weekend each month. Tough, but doable.

The rest of the US Navy is not quite the same, the nuclear program is sort of like its own special community within the Navy. We don't always play by the same rules, so that makes it interesting. That said, I have a couple non-nuke friends who enjoy their work and their communities. Not quite as stressful. And big Navy is implementing changes after the unfortunate recent events surrounding the Fitzgerald and McCain. I hear we are expecting some quality of life improvements fleet-wide, we will see if that impacts the nuclear field.

All of this to say that I can't speak to other country's navies, but I enjoy mine. It's good work, challenging, and has given me opportunities that I would not have otherwise had.