www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tutorials and Resources

Old 28-11-07, 16:53   #1601
Trey87
Student

@Ensi: is it possible to have the new secret_map patch without to have the clear menu patch enabled? Because I use custom backgrounds...
Old 28-11-07, 17:07   #1602
Pyuaumch
Historian

Just activate clear menu backgrounds patch, it won't overlap your custom backgrounds (on contrary, it'll minimize menu loading speed).

But custom backgrounds patch should be heavily re-worked, because for now it reloads bitmap image from HDD 30 times at a second! There are already some builders complaining that custom background patch sends their PCs to knees. I'm now searching for decent external library that can work with formats other than BMP. Then we'll be able to use JPGs or PNGs instead of heavy BMP images.
Pyuaumch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-07, 17:18   #1603
GeckoKid
Archaeologist

how about biks
GeckoKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-07, 17:44   #1604
eTux
Student

As always - am absolutely amazed at all the new possibilities - I can hardly keep up exploring them all

Some ideas I've had when testing some out - am sorry if these have been asked before - but as always - not knowing the mechanics behind this - these are just things I think would be cool to have and am totally ok if they are not possible to implement for whatever reason

Multi - Purpose bar:
1) Is it possible to implement a(n optional) critical blinking sector like for the Oxygen and Health bars? Like - it starts blinking when the bar is at 10% or less.
2) Is there a fixed value size for the MPB's value/size? Can it be custom defined? Or alternatively - is it possible to use fractions as decrease/increase value? For example - the current value with a decrease level set at 1 - I reckon it takes about 5 minutes for the bar to decrease to zero. With either possibilities above it would be possible to make it a more customizable element. Not that there aren't any other ways to make the things I have in mind work - but just a suggestion

Is it possible to implement a Gamma adjuster in the options as in TR3?

I might be way behind with this one - but I was wondering if its possible to somehow implement the screen deforming thing as in when Lara is poisoned with help of a flipeffect -or associate it with other events (for example - Lara gets dizzy when the gas meter is running out) - and somehow modify the intensity of it all?

Also - I think I nicked this idea from someone else who suggested this - but is it possible to set for example small medipacks to work only as antidote to poison (or any other effect) and large medipacks as health boosts exclusively? So one does a specific purpose, but not the other.
eTux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-07, 19:12   #1605
Trey87
Student

Is there a way to activate a flyby camera with IF_PRESSED ACTION command? I've tried with ACTIVATE_ITEM, but when I press action nothing happens...

Last edited by Trey87; 28-11-07 at 19:18.
Trey87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-07, 19:26   #1606
Kikiloco
Historian

Quote:
Can i create class in tomb4.exe itself?
Technically yes, you are already able to add new code to tomb4.exe did you?, however you will need to know how to create/call/release DX objects using assembler.

Quote:
I don't want to mess with any external files.
Kind you have already doing that when you call BASS.DLL, that external file is creating Directsound Objects for play the sound and music.

You should consider using a High level language to code stuff into a DLL and include functions that can be called from tomb4.exe, that way you can have your own memory space, new variables, counters, arrays,etc, easy float values operation and more stuff; that is the aproach that Paolone is doing, note how in NGLE he included tomb_nextGeneration.dll; you can too build your Ensi.DLL

Quote:
And can i create extra DI8 device profile for the same hardware, or it will interfere with already opened DI6 interface?
interfere most likely yea, in a way where same hardware is trapped for both DX objects if you want the new interface handle the hardware too; i guess it is like having two mouse connected in the same time managed by two persons...however just creating a new DX interface it dosent mean automatically is it interfere.

Last edited by Kikiloco; 28-11-07 at 19:30.
Kikiloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-07, 01:14   #1607
GeckoKid
Archaeologist

i think i have a bug with the cold breath patch, i dunno what I did wrong, I have set the coldbreath = disabled in script2, but sometimes (no, it doesn't happen everytime) the entire level gives lara cold breath, but I only needed this effect in about 10 rooms (i use the cold room method), why?

i also tried not having that parameter in the script file in the first place, but she still breathes out cold air (that doesn't sound right.. but you know what i mean) in places i don't want her to.

edit: hmmm, i just downloaded the latest versions and recompiled them again, and it seems to work again (but i still don't know why it reappeared in the first place)

Last edited by GeckoKid; 29-11-07 at 01:58.
GeckoKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-07, 06:18   #1608
Pyuaumch
Historian

Update for SECRET_MAP patch:

Now it produces special text tooltip in the bottom right corner, when Lara is in object's interaction zone. This will help to indicate if object is interactable or not (so player won't need to test every single object with ACTION key to get some info). This is how it looks in game:

Moreover, you can use two different tooltips. For example, if you have some NPCs in your game, you may want to show "Talk" tooltip nearby them, but if you also have other objects with interaction capabilities (like road signs, wall inscriptions, etc.), you can use different tooltip, so it will show "Examine" text or whatever.

WARNING: update your STRINGS2.TXT file with two extra strings placed after "Lara's Diary" string, or else game will crash when you'll approach any of SECRET_MAP objects! If you still don't understand what i'm babbling about when i say "add extra strings to your STRINGS2.TXT file", just go and download sample STRINGS2.TXT file from TREP webpage, and look at the bottom part of this STRINGS2.TXT file until you'll understand what you should do, because i'm tired explaining such simple things .

SETUP:

By default, each object uses first tooltip message (it's set to "ACTION - examine" in my sample STRINGS2.TXT). To show second tooltip message (set to "ACTION - talk" in my STRINGS2.TXT), add 20000 to OCB. Then it will show second tooltip instead.

So, the general setup now is:

1. OCB = text string number - produces "ACTION - examine" tooltip, show text in the bottom.
2. OCB = 10000 + text string number - produces "ACTION - examine" tooltip, show text in the center.
3. OCB = 20000 + text string number - produces "ACTION - talk" tooltip, show text in the bottom.
4. OCB = 30000 + text string number - produces "ACTION - talk" tooltip, show text in the center.

Sorry for this complicated setup, it's all because stupid TR4 engine have only one 2-bytes long OCB . We really need secondary and tertiary OCBs for such objects.

Last edited by Pyuaumch; 29-11-07 at 06:22.
Pyuaumch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-07, 06:29   #1609
ReeceMix
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyuaumch View Post
Dude this is AWESOME!, With the larger fonts now I'd rather create little icons for push/pull/talk/interact by using unused letters like the @ symbol

My toy story level has alot of unique things in I feared some players wouldnt understand, so Ive been leaving little clues but this would be much better!

Last edited by ReeceMix; 29-11-07 at 06:33.
ReeceMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-07, 06:32   #1610
GodOfLight

this is great. it reminds me of the hand icon that always appeared in aod. i wasn't really a fan of it, because i feel it makes the gameplay too easy. but this is a really great feature to have for other things. it would certainly not require us to have constant legend-like voice moments of lara or someone on her headset saying "i could move this."

great job pyuaumch the patches keep getting better every day.

now study!
GodOfLight is offline   Reply With Quote