Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 20-08-17, 20:15   #11
Kirishima

(Changing this post to become useful)

Final video dump, hopefully. This time of Area51. I'm including footage of the Area51 demo because it seems animated objects look more like how they do on the pc version.

PC:

PS1:

PS1 Area 51 beta:

Choose Sy SIN's video despite it being a Let's Play because it was the only one that I found that was I know for certain the gamma is at the default level. The PS1 video appears to be recorded from real hardware rather than a PC, but it could also be ps3 footage. The Area 51 beta footage appears to be recorded from a PS2.

Last edited by Kirishima; 21-08-17 at 01:46.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-17, 04:38   #12
Lara Coft Baby

I like how the pc version looks smoother, every thing seems like it fits in better. In the PS version the stair banisters seem to stick out like a sore thumb with their bright color. However the PS version ambient lighting looks brighter and prettier then the PC version. PC looks darker and a bit dull though but Lara seems to fit in better.
Lara Coft Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-17, 05:30   #13
Kirishima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara Coft Baby View Post
I like how the pc version looks smoother, every thing seems like it fits in better. In the PS version the stair banisters seem to stick out like a sore thumb with their bright color. However the PS version ambient lighting looks brighter and prettier then the PC version. PC looks darker and a bit dull though but Lara seems to fit in better.
You should check the ps1 Area 51 beta footage in the post above yours. From what I can tell, everything was supposed to be equally lit, but something changed, or broke, along the way and we got what we got today.

I should probably change the first post to remove those videos for real hardware recordings, but I have yet to find good enough replacements.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-17, 05:35   #14
Lara Coft Baby

I did see that, and it is quite a shame. I would have enjoyed a bit more of a colorful game. I felt like some of the levels were a bit dark.
Lara Coft Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-18, 20:13   #15
dcw123

PS1 is better IMO - mainly due to the added effects, reverb and most importantly - the lighting is brighter and more colourful.

Why the PC version couldn't do this, but in HD is strange.

I'm trying to remake Area 51 and so have studied both versions - and in particular the lighting in the PC version is pretty much gone.
There is this one room which looks really cool in PSX, yet on the PC you can hardly see the light colour at all - at least.. I struggle to.

Looks like I'll have to crank up the intensity for TRLE..

Here I made some comparison shots from Youtube - on the left is the PC version, which is HD, widescreen.
On the right is the PS1 version being emulated.. and it retains its colours while being relatively HD thanks to the emulator - looks MUCH better IMO

dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-18, 21:55   #16
Dustie

I totally feel you. I've always loved the more saturated look PS1 version has. But that's not just Tomb Raider - if you look at PS1 games in general they all had such saturated, colorful look. It must be something with the hardware, maybe the way the PS1 reads and displays colors. I'm convinced all information in the levels about lighting and textures is the same, except that PC hardware renders graphics differently and PS1 renders differently.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-18, 01:40   #17
JOHN30011887

You can give the game a color boost with dgVoodooSetup, thats what i did, also it fixed the line on the menu screens for me

i put dgVoodooSetup into each tomb raider game folder so it keeps individual settings and i dont need to back them up as there in the game folder
JOHN30011887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-18, 08:25   #18
Boobandie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw123 View Post
PS1 is better IMO - mainly due to the added effects, reverb and most importantly - the lighting is brighter and more colourful.

Why the PC version couldn't do this, but in HD is strange.

I'm trying to remake Area 51 and so have studied both versions - and in particular the lighting in the PC version is pretty much gone.
There is this one room which looks really cool in PSX, yet on the PC you can hardly see the light colour at all - at least.. I struggle to.

Looks like I'll have to crank up the intensity for TRLE..

Here I made some comparison shots from Youtube - on the left is the PC version, which is HD, widescreen.
On the right is the PS1 version being emulated.. and it retains its colours while being relatively HD thanks to the emulator - looks MUCH better IMO

That isn't proper widescreen, merely stretched to fit 16:9. I don't know of many youtube videos that have TR3 in the correct aspect ratio, but feel free to use mine for reference. I set the Gamma to 3 to try match the PS1 lighting, but so far I'm only up to Temple Ruins.

Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-18, 18:00   #19
HarleyCroft

Am I alone in vastly preferring the colours of the PC version?

They're so nice and contribute to the atmosphere in such a constant, understated way. On the PC London and the dark Nevada levels are mysterious and intriguing, even Lara's home has a much richer, warm feeling.

On the PS, the colours are so garish and cartoon-like. The contrast makes Lara a black blob running through the environment, not to mention the huge problem with darkness making half the game's graphical nuances invisible.

I miss gaming on my old PC so much, especially when playing TR3 on PS
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-18, 21:01   #20
jonusiescu

Well, in the comparison above, in the screenshot from PSX, I see almost black Lara in bright, yellow room, which is, to be honest, ridicoulous. It might looks good for a lot of people, it could be eye candy, but for me it is just strange, unrealistic and out of place.

So yeah, I prefer PC version. It's not perfect, but it's just more constant.

Last edited by jonusiescu; 12-01-18 at 21:03.
jonusiescu is offline   Reply With Quote