Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 11-08-17, 12:28   #1
ancientIo

Default What do you NOT want to come back from the classics?

On this forum the Classic games are often taken as inspiration for new mechanics. However the classic games are not flawless at least not to me, so there has to be something you disliked or just never cared for in those games.

What element from the Classics shouldn't come back to subsequent eras?
ancientIo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-17, 13:30   #2
Wooxman

Auto aim and controlling Lara with the d-pad, though I guess that the letter will never come back, anyway. Auto aim was kind of a necessity since the Sega Saturn and PS1 (at first) didn't have analogue sticks and thus there was no way to properly aim manually. But in the days of dual analogue controllers and mouse aim, this isn't necessary anymore and shouldn't be used again.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-17, 13:39   #3
ShutUpReyes

Not so much from the games themselves but annual releases. They do nothing but harm a franchise and the only benefit is short term monetary gain.

I think it's different for the series now, but we've seen the consequences of it for Tomb Raider with how Chronicles felt phoned in and Underworld being rushed.
ShutUpReyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-17, 14:22   #4
paulojr_mam

• The barebones-ity of the storylines, especially on the earlier games.
  • The dated high amount of block-pushing.

Last edited by paulojr_mam; 11-08-17 at 14:24.
paulojr_mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-17, 14:28   #5
ESCachuli

Auto aiming. That's all. I want everything else back.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-17, 14:31   #6
NoahCrofRaider

The harpoon gun.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-17, 14:47   #7
ThatSassyKid

The graphics.
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-17, 15:03   #8
Cochrane
Golden

What's with the hate for auto-aim here? I thought it was a good work-around for the issue that shooting things isn't really a lot of fun. It makes it possible to focus on the platforming, not the aiming. This has nothing to do with controls, it's just that aiming in one direction and jumping in another isn't really possible, so games always have to pick one - and TR picked jumping, until the reboot. That was a perfectly good choice.

Anyway, the old games never interacted well with wide-screen resolution, that was annoying. I also notice how I've gotten way too used to automatic saving at key points and level starts these days. And the industry-wide UI change that made "Continue" the top item of the main menu instead of "New game" was definitely the right decision.
Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-17, 15:28   #9
ESCachuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
What's with the hate for auto-aim here? I thought it was a good work-around for the issue that shooting things isn't really a lot of fun. It makes it possible to focus on the platforming, not the aiming. This has nothing to do with controls, it's just that aiming in one direction and jumping in another isn't really possible, so games always have to pick one - and TR picked jumping, until the reboot. That was a perfectly good choice.

Anyway, the old games never interacted well with wide-screen resolution, that was annoying. I also notice how I've gotten way too used to automatic saving at key points and level starts these days. And the industry-wide UI change that made "Continue" the top item of the main menu instead of "New game" was definitely the right decision.
It is not hate. I just want total control of the character. Old games have automatic aiming, New games have automatic Platforming. I want to control both.

Also, it would allow to have enemies with weakspots, puzzles involving shooting mechanics (better than the TR4 and 5 ones), and overall is more fun for me. Enemies in the classics are just "jump and keep pressing shoot button until one of us is dead". Imagine something like Vanquish or even RE6. Acrobatic shooting. It would fit TR.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-17, 15:52   #10
Nigel Cassidy

Auto-aim
Tank controls
Bitchy Lara
Animal enemies (especially bats and rats and crows and all that, dinosaurs are okay though)
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote