Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 18-06-18, 00:22   #1
Karen_Leslie

Default Playing TRII with a Steam controller

Just installed TRII on Steam, yaaay! I'm using the Steam controller, and it is working, but the bad news is, the configuration of the controls is completely different than what I'm used to. I want to customize the controls so that it's laid out like the Playstation version, and I'm 99% sure I can do that, but I couldn't figure out how. When I go to the controller settings on Steam it just gives me general stuff and no option to remap the controls.

What am I missing?
Karen_Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-18, 10:43   #2
Pigfaced

You can use the program JoyToKey to map the controller's buttons to those of the keyboard. So, if you want Square to jump or swim, then you can map it to Alt on the keyboard.
Pigfaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-18, 14:44   #3
Karen_Leslie

Thanks, I'll do that. I'm surprised there's no option to do that within Steam itself though...oh well. As long as it works I guess it doesn't matter
Old 18-06-18, 18:27   #4
Pigfaced

Yeah, I think that generally speaking, in the PC version of TR2 you can't change the controls like in TR4 for example (from the menus). That can surely annoy some people, but me not so much.
Old 19-06-18, 17:02   #5
Fantasy

Just change the controls from the in-game menu, that’s what I did
Fantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-18, 16:36   #6
Karen_Leslie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy View Post
Just change the controls from the in-game menu, that’s what I did
...you can do that?????

Uh let me go try that. I'm trying to use Joy2Key but my computer doesn't seem to know that the Steam controller is there....

EDIT: Okay, so you can change the inputs from the in-game controls menu, and I'm almost there. I've mostly got it set in the PSX configuration, except the action button just refuses to be set to the bottom button. So I can do everything except fire my weapons and grab, lol -___-

Oh well I'm almost there, I'll figure this out eventually.

Last edited by Karen_Leslie; 20-06-18 at 16:51. Reason: new info
Old 20-06-18, 18:52   #7
Pigfaced

Wait WHAT?? You can change the inputs from the in-game menu? It was so stupid for me to recommend downloading JoyToKey then. Sorry!
Old 21-06-18, 14:37   #8
Karen_Leslie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigfaced View Post
Wait WHAT?? You can change the inputs from the in-game menu? It was so stupid for me to recommend downloading JoyToKey then. Sorry!
Don't feel bad, I appreciate all the help I can get!

I can't figure out why I can't map the action button, so I'm going to get my husband to look at it later. I've been trying to fix it myself without running to my tech support for help, but maybe I'm just missing something obvious that he can fix. Worst case scenario is I can't map that button because the controller is broken and we need to buy a new one -____-
Old 22-06-18, 03:39   #9
Karen_Leslie

Hey, Fantasy-- were you using the Steam controller, or another controller altogether? Because it seems like the problem is that button is permanently reserved for "enter" on the Steam controller, and that's why I can't remap it.

Beginning to wonder if I can make this work...just mapping the action button to something else isn't that big a deal (I'd get used to it eventually), but the lack of a d-pad is proving to be a huge pain.

EDIT: Okay, figured out the problem with the action button-- I had "Use Steam Overlay" selected as an option. With that off, I was able to better map the controller buttons. Now it's just the lack of a dpad that's slowing me down, but I think I'm okay now.

And so the saga of the Steam Controller comes to an end, lol.

Last edited by Karen_Leslie; 22-06-18 at 13:53. Reason: fixed problem.
Old 22-06-18, 19:47   #10
Fantasy

I use a PS2 controller and just mapped the actions to what they were on the PS version... it did take me about four hours before I realised I could change them from the menu in-game rather then JoyToKey have you sorted it now?
Fantasy is offline   Reply With Quote