www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 16-05-18, 08:51   #1
Joey79100
Professor

Default Retarget animation meshes for other objects?

Not sure how to phrase it exactly.

Basically I have a Lara in the Von Croy slot, so even if the meshes have been replaced, they're still not in the same order as in Lara's object.
It wouldn't be a problem, but I want to copy/paste animations directly from the Lara object to the Von Croy object, and this is where I'm stuck.

Is there any way to automatically "change" mesh order in the TRW file to be able to import the original animation into the Von Croy slot?
I guess I have to export the TRW file to CSV (that I can't do right now as TRW Editor won't run), change some column names, maybe add missing columns and that's all. Is that right?
Old 16-05-18, 09:10   #2
LGG_PRODUCTION
Historian

There's a program called TRWad Reorganizer
It can be used for changing the order of the meshes of an object
Old 17-05-18, 17:41   #3
psiko
Archaeologist

faster solution, and more successful, is have a wad with voncroy and this lara object, then substitute every mesh one by one. Just export lara meshes and reimport one by one in the voncroy slot.. You'll have everything almost fine, you'll only need to move some of Lara's meshes in wadmerger's animation editor to fit her joints.
psiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-18, 20:26   #4
RocketLombax
Hobbyist

I've tried methods like these to use animations from other characters on the Lara object, and it does work to some degree, but it takes a massive amount of fixing to get any borrowed animations to both look okay and do what you want.

Like for example, I used the Wad Reorganizer Tool to change the order of Larson's mesh parts so that I could copy his run and walk animations, and while it worked pretty well, I had to fix all the movement, state IDs, and state change settings. It's worth the effort when things finally function properly, but it might be worth considering how big of an undertaking it may be.

I wish you luck though! I'd love to see an authentically animated, fully functioning NPC Lara!
RocketLombax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-18, 06:20   #5
Joey79100
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by psiko View Post
faster solution, and more successful, is have a wad with voncroy and this lara object, then substitute every mesh one by one. Just export lara meshes and reimport one by one in the voncroy slot.. You'll have everything almost fine, you'll only need to move some of Lara's meshes in wadmerger's animation editor to fit her joints.
I've already done this actually (well, I just used LARA_SKIN meshes so she has big holes for now), the only thing I've already planed to change in the mesh tree is using the additional unused meshes (the 4 jacket strips and the 2 bags) for her braid (that will be hand-animated).

I don't know if it's wise to change other meshes order though? As I know there are hardcoded meshes.
These are the meshes:
  • 7: torso, that rotates to follow the player's location (fortunately it's also mesh 7 for Lara)
  • 18: left hand, for the knife
  • 21: head, rotates with the torso

So what's best, changing meshes order, or just "convert" the animations?

EDIT: Alternatively, do you think I could "convert" the animations using 3DS Max? I cannot run TRW Editor on my computer it seems.

Last edited by Joey79100; 18-05-18 at 13:24.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-18, 19:45   #6
RocketLombax
Hobbyist

I'm certainly no expert myself, but if it were me, I'd say your best bet is to rearrange the mesh order of Von Croy so that you can copy the Lara animations to it. You don't even have to use 3DS Max or Meta for it!

If you rearrange the mesh parts in the Wad Reorganizer tool, it automatically fixes all the animations to work with the newly rearranged joints. So for example, if you make a copy of Von Croy, and rearrange all his meshes to match Lara's joint arrangement, you should technically be able to copy Lara's animations to the Von Croy object. For the rearrangement, I'd note the joints and their purposes from both objects in a note document or something. As well as their 'pop' and 'push' settings, definitely. You could probably put all Von Croy's extra joints that Lara doesn't have after mesh 14 so that they'd be outside of anything Lara's animations would affect, and like that too, you can arrange the extra joints to be used as Lara's braid. It's going to look like a huge mess after the process, but once you add Lara's meshes to the right slots, and make the unused meshes invisible, it'd look more like it should.

I will be honest though, I don't know what effects the 'look around animations' would have on this arrangement, but it's a possible idea. For all I know, the looking around animations might even be based on the 'push and pop' settings rather than the actual joint numbers specifically...

This sounds like a fun experiment though! I may have to try something like this myself!
Old 18-05-18, 20:57   #7
Joey79100
Professor

Ohhhh, thanks to you I just realized I could as well change Von Croy's meshes order to fit Lara's meshes, import the animation, and then if needed reorganize the meshes like they were initially so the engine still uses the right meshes for hardcoded effects. In the end TR animations will be imported and the mesh tree will still be correct.
Gotta try this as soon as possible!
Old 18-05-18, 23:19   #8
Kapu
Professor

It's possible to "convert" animations in this fashion by using Fragmotion. I can't remember the process exactly, but I converted some of Von Croy's animations to Lara flawlessly this way. If I remember right, you import your Lara animation first, then add one of the Von Croy (or other animating) animations and Fragmotion will ask you to reassign each mesh to one of Lara's meshes. It's time consuming to do one by one, but the results were perfect. The meshes you don't reassign are discarded. When I have some more spare time I'll open up Fragmotion and see exactly how the process works and share it here.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-18, 18:32   #9
RocketLombax
Hobbyist

I really do hope it helps! I love what you've got planned here.

In theory it should work! Since all the animated items in the games are based on the joint rotation coordinates only. Technically, you could rearrange almost any character or enemy in the game's body parts however you want, and they'd still function if the states and state changes are set right!

Just be really thorough in getting the pop and push settings right! If anything is set wrong, in some cases body parts flat out disappear...