Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 20-05-17, 21:55   #11
HRHCroft

There are so many different variations of these characters that have accumulated decades worth or history and lore, I think they could've easily made Miles work within the MCU as 'their' Spider-Man. They have such an ensemble thing going even outside of the Avengers movies, I think it would've been an easier sell to use an 'alternate' version of the character.

I'm certainly no expert when it comes to Marvel, but I know that the Avengers etc. as depicted in the movies aren't specifically based on any one particular version of their respective character verbatim. It'd be near impossible to do that because of how long they've all been in publication, not to mention the multiple timelines, universes, and the like.

@ggctuk I recall reading about the animated movie; totally forgot. I can imagine there was a 'Look, we'll give you the other Spider-Man but NO live action movies! Okay, Sony? No. Live. Action. MOVIES!' type discussion.

Last edited by HRHCroft; 20-05-17 at 22:36.
HRHCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-17, 22:08   #12
Mani_Man

When it comes to Spider-Man, i think Sony has the full rights to it when it comes to Live Action...so Disney/Marvel absolutly cant use the name Spider-Man...thats why in avengers they cant call the mutants, mutants.

Its all very complicated.

I dont get it myself, Marvel has the rights to the Comics and can do whatever they want there...but the movie rights seem to be something different.
Thats why i dont get the animated universe and how Marvel can do a movie about spider-man in animated style but not live action.
Mani_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-17, 06:05   #13
ggctuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani_Man View Post
When it comes to Spider-Man, i think Sony has the full rights to it when it comes to Live Action...so Disney/Marvel absolutly cant use the name Spider-Man...thats why in avengers they cant call the mutants, mutants.

Its all very complicated.

I dont get it myself, Marvel has the rights to the Comics and can do whatever they want there...but the movie rights seem to be something different.
Thats why i dont get the animated universe and how Marvel can do a movie about spider-man in animated style but not live action.
Um, the deal reached by Sony and Marvel DOES allow use of Spider-Man in their films, even by name. Also it's Sony making the animated movie, not Marvel.

Marvel sold the rights to use their characters in film to various companies when they were in financial difficulties. I believe this was in the 90s. For instance, Sony got Ghost Rider (which has since reverted to Marvel) and Spider-Man, Paramount got Hulk (and apparently still does own the main rights for a solo Hulk film) and Fox got Fantastic Four and X-Men.
ggctuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-17, 06:16   #14
Mani_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggctuk View Post
Um, the deal reached by Sony and Marvel DOES allow use of Spider-Man in their films, even by name. Also it's Sony making the animated movie, not Marvel.

Marvel sold the rights to use their characters in film to various companies when they were in financial difficulties. I believe this was in the 90s. For instance, Sony got Ghost Rider (which has since reverted to Marvel) and Spider-Man, Paramount got Hulk (and apparently still does own the main rights for a solo Hulk film) and Fox got Fantastic Four and X-Men.
Ah...its confusing.
Im more a DC fan, so i might confuse rumours and false information.

Last edited by Mani_Man; 21-05-17 at 08:49.
Old 22-05-17, 09:47   #15
Ceamonks890

Do not support Sony with this film, if you're wanting Spidey to still remain in the MCU beyond 2019. Otherwise, they'll take the film rights back from Marvel/Disney and put Tom Holland's Spidey in what will be yet another atrocious cinematic universe of TASM-proportions.

The Venom solo film is going to be a guaranteed rush job, in order to capitalize on ill-informed consumers of the MCU. So vote with your wallets folks!

Last edited by Ceamonks890; 22-05-17 at 09:48.
Ceamonks890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-17, 10:00   #16
ggctuk

http://collider.com/spider-man-homec...u-marvel-sony/

According to this article, they won't take the rights back, instead they'll revert naturally without a second deal after Homecoming 2.

TBH, I'm a wait-and-see kind of guy when it comes to this. I love Venom as a Spidey character but I'm less than happy with the way they've handled the franchise since Spider-Man 3. Then again, it could be that they learn lessons from having Spidey in the MCU, and from the successes of Deadpool and Logan. Again, wait and see.
Old 22-05-17, 10:36   #17
Ceamonks890

^ While I admire your sense of optimism mate, Sony(their film division at least) have proven time and time again, to never really learn from their mistakes. They're utterly incompetent, have no real game plan and are just leeching off the brand name of whatever license they've obtained that week, doing nothing of any real value with it.

We've seen their attempts at a Ratchet and Clank film, an unwanted female-centric Ghostbusters reboot that tried to start a cinematic universe equivalent to Marvel's, that incredibly generic RoboCop reboot in 2014, Passengers and do I need to mention the Amazing Spider-Man films?

Oh and we can also look forward to a live-action/animated Barbie hybrid, a He-Man film without Skeletor as the villain(instead being built up Thanos style), an Uncharted film done by a director with no respect for the source material(when the games themselves are supposed to play like you're in a Hollywood movie anyway), and a movie about freaking emojis for crying out loud! The bad decisions to point out for them, are basically endless!

So sorry, but the Venom film is going to suck based off past observations and experiences. And I refuse to support Sony's bastardization of good material, merely to make a quick buck.

Last edited by Ceamonks890; 22-05-17 at 10:38.
Ceamonks890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-17, 21:51   #18
HRHCroft

Not "Venom" news, but related to the discussion - The Wrap reports that a director (Gina Prince-Bythewood) is in talks to direct the proposed Black Cat & Silver Sable movie, described in the article as "Silver & Black."
Quote:
“Silver and Black” will follow Sony’s “Venom,” which has cast Tom Hardy in the lead role. It’s the latest push by the studio to create films based on characters in the Spider-Man universe. Neither will be set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which is spearheaded by Marvel Entertainment and Disney.

Matt Tolmach and Amy Pascal from Sony Pictures are producing. Palak Patel and Eric Fineman are overseeing for Columbia Pictures.
Full article. I have to say, I'm genuinely surprised; the idea of this film seemed so obscure and unlikely I was doubtful things would happen beyond the initial announcement, but they seem to be chugging along with it. I mean, it wouldn't be the first time a movie has been reported about with no follow through.
HRHCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-17, 21:59   #19
Mani_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHCroft View Post
Not "Venom" news, but related to the discussion - The Wrap reports that a director (Gina Prince-Bythewood) is in talks to direct the proposed Black Cat & Silver Sable movie, described in the article as "Silver & Black."

Full article. I have to say, I'm genuinely surprised; the idea of this film seemed so obscure and unlikely I was doubtful things would happen beyond the initial announcement, but they seem to be chugging along with it. I mean, it wouldn't be the first time a movie has been reported about with no follow through.
That seems so random and i dont want to imply anything here...so im waiting for more on this first, before assuming something.
Old 26-05-17, 13:49   #20
ggctuk

I haven't really seen Silver Sable in much, but how does Black Cat work without Spidey?