Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 23-02-13, 05:12   #1
Alister's_Brain

Question "Hopefully we won't become murders too."

Is this foreshadowing something? Or is this some kind of warning to the player?

Tomb Raider follows this method of rewarding the player with experience for Lara. What we get is visceral combat. The player is also lucky to witness Lara brutally kill enemies in many different ways. The irony sets in as we see Lara, a strong, young, smart girl essentially transform to being a vicious murderer. The recent guide to survival showcased Lara's skills in combat. Lara smashes faces, stabs necks, and shotguns a scavenger head into pieces. I wish combat was more graphic so that the player would reflect on how disturbing murdering is. We also see different types of finishers. It is clear that the finishers get upgraded or maybe change later in the game as Lara gets consumed in violence. This is true as you see the first stealth kill is a quick arrow to the head. The next one is a bow neck break. This you can upgrade to an axe to the back while Lara violently rips it free from the scavengers dead corpse.

The arrow stab shows Lara thrusting it in the scavengers neck, she then looks away as she rips it out in a continued motion. As Lara gets more experience and becomes more confident in killing, this finisher changes to a rushing charge neck stab where Lara grunts violently and kicks off the enemy as she could care less~

See where I'm getting at here? It is just speculation, and we only have a few days till the game is in our hands. I just hope in some way Lara reflects back and is disgusted with herself, or even breaks down as the helicopter/boat/whatever carries what's left of her crew. They can tell Lara has changed, not in a natural way.

I hope there is a subtle hint at player interaction with the story. As we all know, finishers are optional. Same with Upgrading stealth kills with the axe. It would be great if the game knew how much the player kept using brutal finishers. That way people who just shoot and people who viciously murder enemies could get different endings. Ultimately, the game will probably ignore this theme and continue with a happy ending. Lara embraces whats left of the crew, and becomes the once popular Lara Croft: Tomb Raider. (Subconsciously ignoring the faces of death that still haunt her.)

Last edited by Alister's_Brain; 23-02-13 at 11:19. Reason: So people don't get confused with the whole violence = real life murders 9_9
Alister's_Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-13, 05:21   #2
BigR4444
Golden

If this is some sort of statement about violent videogames, and their relation to creating mass murderers, or their contribution to violence in society in general... save it...

I played DOOM... I played Mortal Kombat, did the ol' sub zero head rip 10000 times... I played all the GTA games... I even murdered a hooker and took my 20 bucks back...I even played Manhunt... in all its brutal, killing glory...

I dont have an arrest record, Im not prone to violence or violent outbursts... Beat a dude up here and there, but they were either drunk and/or asking for it, and I always feel really bad about it afterwards...

Videogames dont create bad people...I dont buy it, and I never have
BigR4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-13, 05:32   #3
Alister's_Brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigR4444 View Post
If this is some sort of statement about violent videogames, and their relation to creating mass murderers, or their contribution to violence in society in general... save it...

I played DOOM... I played Mortal Kombat, did the ol' sub zero head rip 10000 times... I played all the GTA games... I even murdered a hooker and took my 20 bucks back...I even played Manhunt... in all its brutal, killing glory...

I dont have an arrest record, Im not prone to violence or violent outbursts... Beat a dude up here and there, but they were either drunk and/or asking for it, and I always feel really bad about it afterwards...

Videogames dont create bad people...I dont buy it, and I never have
I understand, but I'm trying to figure out what will become of Lara. They hired a writer to flesh out the story. And you already know that Lara kills many, many men! If they want a realistic story, I wouldn't believe the typical "yay I out of the island! I'll go home and explore another island/mountain/tomb in the next game!"

Humans can't recover that fast, especially what Lara goes through.

Edit: I'm not trying to talk about violent video games = real life murderers (Rather stupid subject.)

Last edited by Alister's_Brain; 23-02-13 at 05:40.
Old 23-02-13, 05:36   #4
BigR4444
Golden

Oh ok, so its more about Lara...

Im not worried about where Lara will stand after this...

I dont necessarily see her as psychologically damaged or anything... But she will probably a little unfreindly to others, and slow to trust...
BigR4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-13, 05:46   #5
Stevo505

It's foreshadowing... and it's kind of ironic because Lara wants to remain innocent and unscathed by this traumatic event, but she ultimately has to murder dozens of people even if she doesn't want to.
Stevo505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-13, 05:47   #6
Spitfire

That's my biggest question mark about this game. The developers have been very keen on administering Lara's story with a sense of human emotion and urgency. It sounds perfect, but it's also a promise made over and over by many other developers. Normally that idea only lasts about a 1/4 of the game before it completely falls apart next to what the gameplay has you actually doing and where the story quickly ramps into a chaotic murder fest for game's sake.

I'm hoping this time, maybe they can really pull off Lara with some depth and leave her psychologically scarred and greatly impacted and have that show. Not just end with the "well i survived and now I'm a bad ass, time to go on my next adventure, end scene, roll credits." I'd much prefer something a little more subtle with some depth. And what will her motivation be for her next adventure, why would she continue doing this when this whole scenario could be so paralyzing in retrospect. Why would she want to go out and put herself in this kind of situation again. Crossing my Fingers for some solid storytelling!
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-13, 05:56   #7
Sir Croft

I think they deliberately made her combat skills messy. Stabbing people with arrows, smashings their skulls with a pickaxe, none of this is pro stuff. I think what they're trying to convey is her desperation to just do it quickly and be done with it before she gets killed, which is beyond the point of "She should feel bad about", because she probably does, but there are many things at stake for her to just stop and sob about the brains she pierced through with pointy things.
Sir Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-13, 05:57   #8
Alister's_Brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
That's my biggest question mark about this game. The developers have been very keen on administering Lara's story with a sense of human emotion and urgency. It sounds perfect, but it's also a promise made over and over by many other developers. Normally that idea only lasts about a 1/4 of the game before it completely falls apart next to what the gameplay has you actually doing and where the story quickly ramps into a chaotic murder fest for game's sake.

I'm hoping this time, maybe they can really pull off Lara with some depth and leave her psychologically scarred and greatly impacted and have that show. Not just end with the "well i survived and now I'm a bad ass, time to go on my next adventure, end scene, roll credits." I'd much prefer something a little more subtle with some depth. And what will her motivation be for her next adventure, why would she continue doing this when this whole scenario could be so paralyzing in retrospect. Why would she want to go out and put herself in this kind of situation again. Crossing my Fingers for some solid storytelling!
Yes, I'm a bit worried too. It's just this game revolves around combat like it's the main thing about it. Sure you can explore and solve puzzles, but that leads to more salvage and experience to what? Upgrade weapons and get more skills to help in combat or get more salvage and experience.

I'm trying to picture how the ending could shape up. They did mention tons of times that the island will leave a mark on Lara, lets hope it's believable.
Old 23-02-13, 06:05   #9
James_Rutland

I think she should ultimately be a badass, but not like the older ones where shes just a robot. She needs to have depth and show emotional trauma.

She is psychologically damaged, and that is her reason for being the way she is. She goes on adventures because shes nuts tbh. Shes never interested in men because she doesn't trust them after defeating all of the islands scavengers (who are also and exclusively male)

The only way for Lara to live past her experience, is to well, live. In danger. Because when shes endangered her mind isn't set on her horrible experience before but the thrill of getting out of a current situation. It's hard to make sense of, but there is sense there.

I mean, what would make Lara feel worse? Sitting in her manor thinking about what happened whilst sitting on the sofa watching TV, or going out into the big wide world with her mind set on the thrill and danger of a new adventure?
James_Rutland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-13, 06:07   #10
MouseNo4

Moral of the story is, Lara hates men. After all... how many women will she kill on the entire island? Not even one?

Destined to live the rest of her life alone. :`(
MouseNo4 is offline   Reply With Quote