www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Legend

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 20-07-07, 18:35   #11
Izzie404
Archaeologist
 
Izzie404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,053
Default

That's a good point, and I think you are right. But when I play a game, I always try to look at it in a good way.
__________________
GET READY TO BRAWL -- NA: 10 February, 2008 [UK: [TBA]]

Last edited by Izzie404; 20-07-07 at 18:36.
Izzie404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-07, 19:19   #12
Corky_123
Hobbyist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior_K View Post
This "ostrich" attitude isn't particularly right...you can hide your head in the sand as long as you want but it won't solve the problem.
Although ignoring problems may not be very constructive, neither is taking every possible opportunity to criticise something as some people seem to do.
__________________
'Now lets get off this roof, and I'll buy you a milkshake'.
Corky_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-07, 19:33   #13
Eddie Haskell
Tomb Raider
 
Eddie Haskell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dunwall
Posts: 12,497
Default

All I could think about as I was playing it was that this was the last time that I would play a TR game, since the series that I really enjoyed for a decade was irrevocably altered and ruined in so many ways. I could see that there would be many that would like this style, controls and camera and therefore realized that the game that I cared for was gone forever.

So while I criticized at first, eventually I came to the conclusion that it would not be a worthwhile pursuit. I held out some hope (not much really) for Anniversary but after suffering through 5 minutes of the demo I deleted it from my pc and put an end to my suffering. But there are plenty of games out there for me so I don't worry about it. Everyone by all means enjoy the new glitz and gadget Spiderwoman, eh, I mean Lara!
__________________
“All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward." ~Ellen Glasgow

Last edited by Eddie Haskell; 20-07-07 at 19:44.
Eddie Haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-07, 20:11   #14
FomarThain
Archaeologist
 
FomarThain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Har' A'kir
Posts: 1,216
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink_Oracle View Post
Many people said that Anniversary was an improvement on Legend and that Crystal had “listened to us”.
That was the criticism they had acted on to make those improvements. Complaining isn’t pretty but it gets things changed.
I think its Legend II that will be the proof that they "listened". From my point of view I think TRA is as it is because they pretty much just made a remake, not so much because they "listened".

TRL II will be when we find out since that is when they will be able to flex their creative muscles freely again without having a past game to guide them.

Personally I love Legend and I have faith that they won't make a copy of TRA, I say that even as much I am in love with TRA. As much as I like both I think they are such extremes in game design to one another that I think the next one needs to be a hybrid of the two. Legend action and TRA tomb raiding in some what equal amounts.

Now on topic....

I went to see Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. Went in expecting it to be dreadful be wanted t some viewing fun. I got the fun enjoyed the ride because I mostly succeeded in pushing out the fluff. So I left pretty happy. As the days wore on and I thought more about I started to think damn, that was a pretty terrible movie.

Point is though, I went in low expections but was ready to put them aside to have some fun.

Same with Transformers and Harry Potter movies. I saw both yesterday (double feature ftw). I was pleased with the Harry Potter one as I have been with all of them. I could have picked apart Transformers though. But I didn't and just sat back. It had some of the best action I have seen. So I left having had some fun and without regret that I had spent my money on it.

I will say after a few days after FF Rise of the Silver Surfer the only thing worth paying for was to actually see the silver surfer. So I did kinda regret spending that money. But you get my point.

Last side note... I think the worse thing is to take your argument to the extreme nit-pick second hand knowledge and find faults before you even experience something. Yeah it can work friends tell and what not... but still... you run the risk of missing some really cool stuff along the way cause you never gave it a chance!
FomarThain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-07, 04:56   #15
tranniversary119
Relic Hunter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Panem
Posts: 9,396
Default

Quote:
I think its Legend II that will be the proof that they "listened". From my point of view I think TRA is as it is because they pretty much just made a remake, not so much because they "listened".

TRL II will be when we find out since that is when they will be able to flex their creative muscles freely again without having a past game to guide them.

Personally I love Legend and I have faith that they won't make a copy of TRA, I say that even as much I am in love with TRA. As much as I like both I think they are such extremes in game design to one another that I think the next one needs to be a hybrid of the two. Legend action and TRA tomb raiding in some what equal amounts.
I AGREE!
tranniversary119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-07, 05:04   #16
Indiana Croft
Archaeologist
 
Indiana Croft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Beyond you, silly...
Posts: 2,127
Lightbulb I agree

TRL is awesome! I love that game, as I have said over and over. I think the critics are just too picky. I mean, AoD didn't even HAVE tombs! How can Legend be worse than that?
__________________
"So I hate you? C'est la Vie."
Indiana Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-07, 05:15   #17
kryptonite23
Tomb Raider
 
kryptonite23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Manila,Philippines Gender: Male
Posts: 23,895
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie404 View Post
That's a good point, and I think you are right. But when I play a game, I always try to look at it in a good way.
It is an element to play a good,nice game.
__________________
~Pain is Pleasure~
kryptonite23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-07, 08:16   #18
Ward Dragon
Moderator
 
Ward Dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Temeria ♀
Posts: 37,794
Default

I don't consider it to be nit-picking when I am annoyed that, for example, every time I try to go somewhere I run into an invisible wall. That's a fundamental gameplay issue, not something minor. I don't think it's nit-picking if I don't like that I am constantly bombarded by headset chatter, on-screen prompts, and other sorts of unwanted hints. It's not nit-picking to be annoyed that everywhere I go in the game, I run into hundreds of generic mercenaries. I don't like fighting too much in games, so it's really not fun for me to go from cutscene to random battle to random battle to yet another cutscene without any exploration in between. I also really hated the motorcycle levels because they were so pointless (I didn't like the chariot races in Prince of Persia T2T either, and I went into that game expecting to love the chariot races from the trailer...) I don't enjoy Legend because everything I liked to do in previous TR games was minimized or cut out entirely in favor of things I don't like to do. I can't help it if I keep trying to grab ledges that look like they should be grabbable, or if I keep trying to jump up onto ledges that are only a foot or two above Lara's head. That's a fundamental part of playing games for me, and every time I try to actually play Legend, the game reminds me that it is extremely limited and only wants me to go down a single narrow path. That is why I only played the game once. I've tried the demo a few times since playing the game, but the feeling won't go away so I haven't yet bothered with trying to play the full game again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Croft View Post
TRL is awesome! I love that game, as I have said over and over. I think the critics are just too picky. I mean, AoD didn't even HAVE tombs! How can Legend be worse than that?
Yes it did. AOD had several tombs or classic-themed areas. These are my favorite:

-St. Aicard's Graveyard
-The Archaeological Dig
-Tomb of Ancients
-The Hall of Seasons
-The Vault of Trophies
-Bio-Research Facility
-Aquatic Research Area

http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/...ugh/index.html

Pretty much everything after level 5 is classic TR goodness I don't go by number of levels because that doesn't take into account level size. Rather, I go by how long the game takes me to play it through. AOD takes me much longer to play through than Legend, even if I don't count those first five levels of AOD. I also enjoy everything past level 5 much more than I enjoyed anything in Legend. Legend had so much potential but failed to achieve it.
__________________
We all make choices. But in the end, our choices make us. ―Andrew Ryan (BioShock)

Last edited by Ward Dragon; 21-07-07 at 08:20.
Ward Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-07, 09:07   #19
maximum_123
Relic Hunter
 
maximum_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dorset, England Gender: Male
Posts: 5,690
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Dragon View Post
Pretty much everything after level 5 is classic TR goodness I don't go by number of levels because that doesn't take into account level size. Rather, I go by how long the game takes me to play it through. AOD takes me much longer to play through than Legend, even if I don't count those first five levels of AOD. I also enjoy everything past level 5 much more than I enjoyed anything in Legend. Legend had so much potential but failed to achieve it.
Agreed
__________________
love in this life that's what really matters
maximum_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-07, 09:21   #20
Mona Sax
Tomb Raider
 
Mona Sax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Noir York City
Posts: 15,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FomarThain View Post
I think its Legend II that will be the proof that they "listened". From my point of view I think TRA is as it is because they pretty much just made a remake, not so much because they "listened".
I think it's a case of part-part. The level design and atmosphere (silence!) were probably greatly influenced by TR1, but there's also a lot of stuff that I don't think would've been in TRA if we hadn't said anything. The manual grab or partly optional hints, for example, or harder puzzles (many of them original).
__________________
~: nothing says goodbye like a bullet :~
Mona Sax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.