www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Modding

Old 04-05-08, 19:31   #11
tomblover
Tomb Raider

tl's Paint.NET corner!
Keep checkin' here for Paint.NET tips and tricks!

Recoloring something in a simple way

1. Open up your texture.

2. Select the area you want to recolor with any of the select tools. You can also not select anything to recolor the whole image. You have three choices:

The rectangle select is the most easy to use. Selects square areas. However it's mostly only useful for small areas. (If you want to recolor a finger or something.)

The ellipse select makes a round select. Useful for eyes. Also, this select depends very much on where you click. You have to be pretty precise to get a perfect circle around an eye.

The lasso select is very advanced. You must be careful. I suggest not trying this until you get more precise with your mouse. Feel free to experiment with it if you like but I suggest backing up your texture before you try it. In case you mess up.

3. When you've selected your area, click on the "Adjustments" dropdown menu. "Select Hue / Saturation..."

4. Here's a simple guide to the sliders:

Hue: Changes the color of the picture. You may get weird results if you're trying to recolor two textures together. (For example hair + skin selected in the same area. The skin may turn yellow and the hair may turn another weird color.)

Saturation: The colorfulness. Slide it all the way to the left for a black & white image. Slide it all the way to the right for a really strong color.

Lightness: Light or darkness. All the way to the left for a black image or all the way to the right for a white image. (Note: If you choose "Brightness / Contrast" from the "Adjustments" dropdown menu you may get better results if you're trying to get a brighter/darker image. Lightness is more "extreme.")

5. Make your choices, and then click OK!

Now you know how to recolor stuff in a simple way!

Making things invisible

1. Open up your texture.

2. Select the area you wanna make invisible using any of the tools explained in the previous tutorial.

3. Now choose the "Gradient Fill" tool.

4. In the tool menu. Click the red, green, blue and black square and select transparency mode. Note that you cannot make anything transparent in game with this. If you try, it's either totally invisible or totally visible.

5. Now, click WAY outside of the selected area. It should turn into a white/grey-checkered space.

Great! That means it's invisible! You're done!

Pasting images into your texture image

1. Open up your texture.

2. There's no need to select anything as the image you paste won't be confined to that particular space.

3. Go on and find your image you wanna paste. Save it if you haven't already.

4. Open your other image. Now select the whole image (Or a part of it.) and choose "Copy" from the "Edit" dropdown menu.

5. Now open up your texture again. Select the "Edit" dropdown menu and choose "Paste". It should appear somewhere on the texture image. You'll notice that it has a "box" around it and you can extend or minimize the texture by clicking and holding onto the small squares or circles on the "box" and dragging them. Keep in mind that it may look seriously ugly if you stretch it too much. You can also move the pasted image by simply placing your mouse right on top of it, click on it (And hold the mouse button.) and you can place it anywhere you like. Keep in mind that you can only manipulate the image this way as long as that "box" is there. If you accidentally remove it you can always "Undo" until the box pops up again.

Note that if you use an image that is transparent in some way you need to click "Paste in to New Layer" instead of "Paste" for the transparency to take effect. The "box" around the image still acts as a square though. When it saves it'll ask you if you want to "flatten" the image because you're using an image format that doesn't support "saving" layers. That means that next time you open the image the separate layer won't be there. It's for the best if you keep a backup in a format that has support for layers if you're unsure if you're done or not.

Last edited by tomblover; 07-05-08 at 18:56.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-08, 20:16   #12
Quasimodo
Tomb Raider

How to make Lara's eyes follow you (the camera)

First discovered by the legendary Zipper!

First, color the original eye texture black.

Enlarge the shiny texture - this is the texture that makes it appear that light is shining on her eyeball - (when you log it, it looks like a black box with two or three white spots) a bit and put the eye texture on it, spreading the whites of the eyes to fill the box.

(Eye texture by Not Again!)

voila, flirty gaze

Last edited by Quasimodo; 07-05-08 at 20:21.
Quasimodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 16:13   #13
Rexie

Paint.NET Blush

First, Create a new layer, then choose the colour you want the blush to be and colour the area you want to place it, like I did here, I used he Biker No Jacket texture here, Im going to use pink:

Then go to Effects ---> blurs ----> gaussian blur and chooce what fits you best 90 gave me this result:

when youre happy with your result,, press Image ----> flatten

same thing goes to the eyeshadow, and many more things!!

How to get the "Round Lasso tool" fit perfectly to the eye

Just make a random cirkle around the eye with the Elipse tool

Then, choose the Move Selection Tool ( the white arrow) and just make the perfect cirkle moving the Squares:

Have fun!!
Rexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-08, 22:01   #14
Quasimodo
Tomb Raider

Default Modding FAQ for the Absolute Beginner

Modding FAQ for the Absolute Beginner

Q: What program do I use to create and use mods?
A: There are two programs you can use to create and use mods: Tomb Ripper and TexMod. TexMod is the most popular and easy to use. You must use Tomb Ripper to run mods made with Tomb Ripper; you must use TexMod to run mods made with TexMod.
Follow this link to download a free copy of either program. TexMod is in the box to the right, Tomb Ripper is in the box to the left. You'll also find links in each for a basic tutorial to run each program.

Q: I downloaded an outfit and put it in Texmod/Tombripper to run it, but I can't find the outfit in the game!

A: There a few ways to troubleshoot this-
*You must unlock the outfits in the game before you can use the outfit mods you download. For example, you must unlock the Biker outfit before you can use a mod that replaces the Biker outfit. Either complete the game including all rewards and time trials, or download a savegame from the Hub.

*Make sure you're not trying to use a Tomb Raider Anniversary mod in Tomb Raider Legend, or vice versa. TRA mods will only work with the TRA game, TRL mods will only work with the TRL game.
Q: What can I do with TexMod/Tomb Ripper?
A: TexMod and Tomb Ripper can only change the textures in the game, not the meshes. For example, you can make Lara's hair blonde but you cannot make it longer or turn it into a mohawk.
You can:
-Change the color of a texture
-Make parts or all of a texture invisible

You cannot:
-Change the shape/form of the meshes of the game. You can't make Lara's hair any longer or turn her into a unicorn.
Q: What programs can I use to edit textures?
A: Almost any image editing program will work for editing textures. The best all-round program you can use is Photoshop. If you cannot afford Photoshop, there are free programs which will work just as well: The Gimp and Paint.NET . Microsoft Paint will also allow you to make some basic texture edits, but it's trickier to make parts or all of a texture transparent.
Quasimodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-08, 22:34   #15
Mytly

Location: In the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy
Default An Addition to Quasimodo’s Modding FAQs for the Absolute Beginner

What format should my textures be in?

TexMod supports 9 formats, out of which the most popular are PNG, TGA, DDS, JPG and BMP. Whatever paint program you have, you should be able to work with at least one of these. They all have positive and negative points. Some of the characteristics of the three of these that I personally use:
PNG - supports transparency, file sizes not as large as BMP or TGA
DDS - supports transparency, file sizes very small, some types of textures are best logged in DDS format; but you need a plugin to make it work on Photoshop, saving DDS files is a bit complex
JPG – small file sizes; but does not support transparency

Tomb Ripper supports only DDS – if you want to make outfits for Tomb Ripper, you’ll need to download the DDS plugin and learn to work with DDS files. But if you only want to run Tomb Ripper outfits, there is no need to have the DDS plugin.
Mytly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-08, 08:01   #16
saskewoo
Student

Default How to save some dds files when using Tomb Ripper

Saving dds files can be quite tricky, because if you don't save your moddings in the correct size, Lara's lips might be somewhere on her chin etc, when running the game with the modded textures.
So I have made a list for some outfits of both TRA and TRL (including the ID's to find them in Tomb Ripper):

Tomb Raider Anniversary

Legend Outfit:

Face, ... :
333 – 1 bit alpha – Generate MIP maps → 10

Lips, legs, eyes, ... :
334 – 1 bit alpha – Generate MIP maps → 10

Hair :
336 – explicit alpha – Generate MIP maps → All

Hair 2 :
337 – explicit alpha – Generate MIP maps → All

Braid :
338 – 1 bit alpha – Generate MIP maps → All

Clothes :
331 – 1 bit alpha – Generate MIP maps → All

Anniversary Outfit:

Face, ... :
153 – 1 bit alpha – Generate MIP maps → 10

Lips, legs, eyes, ... :
154 – 1 bit alpha – Generate MIP maps → 10

Braid :
167 – 1 bit alpha – Generate MIP maps → All

Hair :
156 – explicit alpha – Generate MIP maps → All

Belt (For Pistols) :
168 – 1 bit alpha – Generate MIP maps → All

Shirt, ... :
151 – 1 bit alpha – Generate MIP maps → All

Pants, ... :
152 – 1 bit alpha – Generate MIP maps → All

Tomb Raider Legend

Swim Suit:

Body :
4507 – 1 bit alpha – Generate MIP maps → All

Legend Outfit:

Hair :
144 – explicit alpha – Generate MIP maps → 1

Clothes:
152 – 1 bit alpha – Generate MIP maps → 9

Body (eye, lips, legs, ...) :
147 – 1 bit alpha – Generate MIP maps → 10

Face :
146 – 1 bit alpha – Generate MIP maps → 10

Evening (Ripped):

Dress :
3657 – 1 bit alpha – No MIP maps

Purse, Panties :
3655 – 1 bit alpha – Generate MIP maps → All

Body (Legs, arms, ...) :
3654 – 1 bit alpha – Generate MIP maps → 10

Hair :
3653 – explicit alpha – Generate MIP maps → 1

Yeah, I know... not an outfit

Bolivia Level - Water:

Big Waterfall (down the mountain) :
20231 – 1 bit alpha – Generate MIP maps → 8

Water (looks like the Ocean) :
20230 – 1 bit alpha – Generate MIP maps → All

Water (moving / Waterfall) :
20228 – 1 bit alpha – Generate MIP maps → All

I hope this will help
Old 19-05-08, 16:57   #17
Lafa Cvoft

Smile some little tutorials

Invisible stroke .PNG in game
( only in PS)
1. Find Textures and make it into .PNG
2. Delete eveything you don't wanna see
3. Saving:
Save -> Save for Web... -> PNG 24
4. Choose your folder and save it And it works better

Making Net Texture
1. Open basic PAINT
2. Create a new file
3. Choose width of lines
4. Now you have to press SHIFT and make a line in 45 d.
5. Paint 2 lines
6. Use selection tool and press invisible button ( down of the window)
7. Replace This texture over all the oicture
8. Same as in 6
9. Click RMB and choose reverse
10. Net Made
11. If you wanna see some new variations, you have to resize in Paint this net texture.

Some ready textures:

and Net Chick ( UGR) net texture ( DON'T USE IT!)

Hope it is helpful
Lafa Cvoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-08, 19:51   #18
C.C. 13
Student

How to make a perfect outfit,skin,makeup,gear...with PHOTOSHOP
Solution for all Modders with little problems!
By C. C. 13

Ok...Now you are wondering how is this stupid post going to help you...
Actually,It's not stupid,I would rather call it U.S.E.F.U.L.And I hope many of you will after you read it.
I decided to write down the things that most bothered me and my friends...

1. I am a beginner,what now?

The first thing you MUST do is slow down!
Try editing an outfit for start,it is easier somehow...or just the hair,gear...don't start with a level mod,besides-it's not that interesting!!!

a)This is the first step. You're here now,you have everything you need - texmod or tombripper (personaly I use texmod) and photoshop.
This is your first mod so you won't experiment much and you'll just make a simple color change.
You have many options,either to use the Color Balance or Hue/Saturation option. Now I am going to edit the color with the color balance.
Go to Image/Adjust/Color Balance... and asjust the colors. Of course,you can select the area you want to adjust.
It should look something like this:

DOUBLE EFFECT:
If you change the Brightness/Contrast option by going to Image/Adjust/Brightness and Contrast you'll get a better effect! Try...

Save it and test it either using texmod or tombripper...You can always come back and edit the colors!

b) Try doing something more difficult,but actually easy. Let's add some good quality pictures to your texture!
Search for jeans pictures in google picture browser.
When you find what you want,make sure it's high quality or your texture won't be so good... To be honest,It'll be ugly...
For example,I used this:

You will have to fix and rotate some parts of the jeans,that's what I did,and this is the IN-GAME result:

DOUBLE EFFECT
You can add some lines in yellow,pink,white or any other color that is a good contrast to your jeans color.
Also,try sharpening your texture (remember that it won't turn out so good sometimes,but can help)

2. HELP? How to change the skin color and make a good makeup,eyebrows,lips and face texture?!!!!!!!

Well,the only way I know so far is to either use the Hue/Saturate option,adjust brightness,contrast or make a new layer,paint it in eg. brown and change the layer opacity to 60% or 50%....

There is one more way to edit your face and make a good skin!

Lets make Adriana Lima eyebrows and makeup!
For a good mod,you will use a face that looks strait at you-this way it will be easier to make a face skin.

STEP BY STEP:

Now,I changed the color of my face texture so now it is brown. Just to tell you so you don't get confused.
First,we will make the eye makeup and eyebrow.

Paste the Adriana Lima eyebrow and eye into your texture image.

Change the [B]layer opacity/B] to 50% so you can see where will you put the layer.

Now change the layer opacity to 100%.
Use History Brush tool and delete some parts you don't need.

Now,save it. Go to file,save as and replace it with the original texture.
Build with texmod and this is how it looks in the game:

You can do even more: change the lips,nose,ears and the whole face texture!
But,it is more difficult.

DOUBLE EFFECT : A LITTLE BEAUTY TRICK!

If you are using a dark skin such as I used in the above pictures,paint the nose in white! But not the whole nose! Just the one line(see example in above image) .And before painting,change the brush opacity to 20% or 30% .

More to come soon!
C.C. 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-08, 18:31   #19
Tomb Raider Master
Tomb Raider

Arrow

Extracting and Editing Models (part 1)
by badboy70

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy70 View Post

Chapters

1. Getting started and extraction

1.1 : The tools needed
1.2 : Explanation of 2 methods in 10 steps
1.3 : Questions ? Answered here

2. Importing in your Editing software

2.1 : Files
2.2.1 : 3DS Max
2.2.2 : Meta
2.3 : Questions ? Answered here.

3. Editing files

3.1.1 : 3DSMax : Meshes
3.1.2 : 3DSMax : Biped model
3.2 : Meta
3.3: Textures

3.4 : Questions ? Answered here.

4. Editing In-Game Files

4.1 : Textures
4.2 : Cheats, Trainers and Hacks and references

5. Credits

6. Questions
(organized per chapter)

*will be updated when new parts appear*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Getting started and extraction

1.1: The tools needed
Before you download, have a look at both methods and see which one you find easiest.

method 1 :
trltool
Graverobber

method 2 ( 3DS MAX RECOMMENDED ! ) :
3DRipperDX
1.2 : Explanation of 2 methods in 10 steps
I recommend using the second method because you'll know what you get.

Method 1

Before you start, you must know that you'll have to retexture it all. I'd only use this method if you only need the objects.

*note : I'm using trltool because it has proper filenamesThis method is fairly easy and doesn't require runing the game.
1. Run trltool and select the game you want to extract from.

I'm going to use Legend since that filelist is more complete.

2. I'm going for evening Lara.

The Hash code is next to the star; if you want to use the same one you can look for that code to find it easier.

Drag and drop the file in a folder.

3. Now run Graverobber
4. Press "Open..." and locate your file. Open it
5. Now we have a list of files with many "unkown" as extension.

6. You can preview "trltex" and "trlmodel"
7. Select all "trltex" and "trlmodel" to be safe
8. There are 3 "tlrmodel"s, I'm going to use the first one; this is the one before the fight. Mind that her clothes will not be there.

*note if you only want the model, and not the textures you can only tick the preferred model. Or vice versa.
Don't forget to preview ( right click --> preview ) if you want only one or a couple of things !

9. Now they're all ticked right click and select "Extract and convert"

The files will be put in the folder where you've originally put the file that you extracted with trltool.

If all goes well you should see this in the left corner

10. You'll get an OBJ and many TGA files. Of course, the OBJ files is the model itself. Congratulations ! You've now extracted a model.

Method 2
1. ( Install the application and ) run it.
2. Select the game and folders where to put the extracted files.
3. Make sure that
-You've selected the game exe

Legend : C:\Program Files\Tomb Raider - Legend\trl.exe
Anniversary : C:\Program Files\Tomb Raider - Anniversary\tra.exe

- You know the capture key
- You've ticked the four boxes on the right
- You've specified the 3 output directories

I'm using Anniversary.

4. Press "Launch"
This will run the game.
5. Once it runs there should be "Ready to capture" in your top left corner.
6. Load the desired level and outfit.
7. What's on the screen is what will be saved, that means that Lara and the scenery will be saved into an editable file.

8. Once ready, press the Capture key ( for me it was F12 )
9. There will be read text above "Ready to capture" telling you what it's doing. Wait till no more red text appears.
10. Done ! You can close the game. The files have been extracted to the folder you wanted.
*note: what's in the folders ?
Frames = 3DR, MTL, OBJ
Shaders = PSH, VSH
Textures = DDS

Tomb Raider Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-08, 18:33   #20
Tomb Raider Master
Tomb Raider

Arrow

Extracting and Editing Models (part 2)
by badboy70

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy70 View Post
2. Importing in your Editing software

2.1 : Files
For now, it's best not to move the files.
For the 3DRipperDX files, I recommend using 3DS Max. Because you can simple open the 3DR file which is fully textured.

2.2.1 : 3DS Max

If you used method 1: Open the OBJ file

If you used method 2
: Open the 3DR file
OBJ is untextured.

1. Got to file --> Import
2. Go to the folder where you saved the files (find the Frames folder )
3. Select the file and open (.3DR )

*note : Don't use the MTL file, they are only strange spheres ( for me, that is )

2.2.2 : Meta

If you used method 1: Open the OBJ file

If you used method 2
: Open the OBJ file

*note : it will NOT be textured when using the OBJ file
*note : Don't use the MTL file, they are only strange spheres ( for me, that is )
Tomb Raider Master is offline   Reply With Quote