Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Technical Support

Old 10-08-08, 15:07   #1
Betal

Default Computer is *pip* up

Hello. I'm not very active here anymore but I need help.
I'm very unlucky when it comes to computers. I always have a problems with them.

I was stupid enough to download a fake video codec from a probably fake site yesterday. And now I got a virus.. Lol.

First of all the wallpaper is blue and says: Warning! Spyware detected on your computer. Install an antivirus or spyware remover to clean your computer.

And next to the clock in the bottom right of the screen it says at the moment: 17:02: VIRUS ALERT!

And when I click on start I can only choose to restart or turn off the computer or internet. Everything else is gone. So I can't go to my computer or anything.

I tried to start it in safe mode but that didn't work. So I put in my windows vista CD and restarted it. But I couldn't choose to boot with the CD. So I tried a XP cd after with the same result.

So I don't know what to do. All my anti spyware and virus tools icons are gone from the desktop expect Ad aware. So I'm scanning with that one.

BTW. I said computer but I'm using my laptop now. Don't know if that matters. : p
Betal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-08, 15:31   #2
Titanium

It sounds like you've been given a right hefty Malware/Virus.

Okay if you can access the internet with it, download Spybot Search and Destroy and an anti-virus program (Avast! or AVG). If you're able to take a print screen of the wallpaper and the virus alert, that would also be of great use. I just hope that the virus wont block the installation.

If it does block the installation, try Housecall.

Last edited by Titanium; 10-08-08 at 15:36.
Titanium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-08, 15:39   #3
Betal

I can't even go to those websites. They change to some random **** sides. So i guess the virus block those.

I just noticed I got Avira anti virus to work. Hopes it deletes the virus. =)

And BTW the wallpaper is just blue with a box in the middle. The box is yellow and blue. And Warning! Spyware detected on your computer is in the upper (yellow) part and the rest uned in the blue part. I don't want to print cause it will take like 100 years cause the laptop is slow as hell thanks to the virus.
Old 10-08-08, 15:47   #4
badboy70

Try booting in safe mode, then run the virus scanner
Edit : To enter safe mode tap F8 and then select safe mode.
badboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-08, 15:51   #5
Jacen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betal View Post
I tried to start it in safe mode but that didn't work.
What do you mean Betal? You weren't able to start in safe mode? Or you were, but it didn't help?
Jacen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-08, 15:51   #6
spikejones

boot computer in safe mode (yes it should work) - spam the hell out of the F8 key as soon as the computer comes up and you should eventually get a screen that prompts you to choose several different modes.

run full system antivirus scan
run full system spyware scan

run ardiag and post results when finished with that

Dont boot back into normal mode until you are sure the virus is gone.
spikejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-08, 16:09   #7
Betal

When I'm trying safe mode it says windows is starting and then when it's done I'm back at the normal windows and not safe mode anymore
Old 10-08-08, 16:13   #8
badboy70

Strange, could you post a screen of your desktop + the thing next to your clock ( if there is anyhthing ) ?
badboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-08, 16:17   #9
Betal

Ican't choose all programs in the start menu thanks to the virus so I can't open paint or photoshop. So I can't print the desktop.

Lol poor me.

Ok now I worked it out. Gonna take a pic now

Here it is. Anyway lets hope spybot s&D deletes the viruses. So far it found 14 viruses xD.

Last edited by Betal; 10-08-08 at 16:55.
Old 10-08-08, 17:00   #10
spikejones

run av and spyware scans anyway

no need to post a picture of the desktop cause all it is is a picture that the virus has manged to place as your wallpaper. I have seen this before.
if it is the same one i saw before, it will make a screen saver where little bugs are eating your windows up

and the popup messages will try to get you to buy/download a virus scan program - DO NOT do what they say cause you will infect your computer more

run a full system AV scan with AVG or Avira
run a full system spyware scan with Ad Aware 2008 free or Spybot S&D
post result of Ardiag when finished

if you don't do these things as instructed (especially the ardiag report) there is not much we can do to help you.

edit... now that i see your screen shot - that is exactly what i saw before.
smitfraud infection + others

after running spybot s&d, run the immunization so that it will build a hosts file to block bad domains from being accessed, and hopefully you will not get to sites that host viruses. Also, you should always scan you downloads before you install them.

curious though - why did you put in a Vista Disc when you are running XP?

Last edited by spikejones; 10-08-08 at 17:04.
spikejones is offline   Reply With Quote