Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 19-08-08, 20:45   #1
TombRaiderTim

Default Apophis: The Meteor

It is unpredictable wheather this is true or not but this meteor may spell D.I.S.A.S.T.E.R to the human race in the coming 21 years from now.

But in any case, it can really **** people up huh? If this is my fate and no one can change the orbit of the meteor, then so be it cause we cannot do a thing about it if it all fails can we?

Share Your Thoughts

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...ation.research
TombRaiderTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-08, 20:53   #2
dizzydoil
Inactive

The percentage of this hitting the earth is very low. Although, scientists are sending a space ship or something to nudge it onto another course, just INCASE it doesnt pass Earth, and hit it.

Interesting subject.. I love everything like this.
dizzydoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-08, 20:54   #3
stereopathic

well, now... that sucks.

it's seems like it's pretty unlikely that it will happen. the article reads like, "in the unlikely even that -blah- happens, then that could cause -blah- to happen which could kill us all."

i guess if the right people are monitoring it and technology is being put into place to deflect it, then we should be okay. no use worrying about it now.

on the other hand, can we have a big vote to see who has to stand right at the impact site? i can think of a couple people i'd like to see smacked with a 390km-wide asteroid.
stereopathic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-08, 20:54   #4
tombraider123

These stories never scare me anymore, because I'm sure there is a new threat everyday yet nothing EVER happens.
tombraider123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-08, 20:55   #5
dizzydoil
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombraider123 View Post
These stories never scare me anymore, because I'm sure there is a new threat everyday yet nothing EVER happens.
Things happen all the time Just not world-wide disasters or end-of-the world scenarios.
dizzydoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-08, 20:57   #6
stereopathic

and aren't we only tracking something like 20% of the asteroids in our solar system? we might all die in a fiery explosion before Apophis here ever gets his dirty paws on us.
stereopathic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-08, 20:59   #7
tombraider123

I don't think it will be an asteroid that will be the end of the world, I think it will be our fault like WW3 or something.

Quote:
Things happen all the time Just not world-wide disasters or end-of-the world scenarios.
While I have been alive I am sure there has not been an asteroid hit the earth, yet I always hear stories "We will be hit in 2 years" and never have been. There was apparently a big chance of one hitting us on June 21st I'm sure, yet we are still here.

I really don't think we have anything to worry about.

Last edited by tombraider123; 19-08-08 at 21:02.
tombraider123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-08, 21:01   #8
Drone

woohoo nice thingy!
Drone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-08, 21:01   #9
Dakaruch

Once more we are victims of the media alarmists. We don't have to constantly live with the fear of being hit by a meteor. Earth is hit by meteors everyday, and yet it never caused us all to death. Why? Most of those meteors are disintegrated on Earth's atmosphere, and divide into small pieces, others hit the Oceans, and others hit the actual surface of the Earth, and leaves a crater.
This is a far bigger meteor, although it is very easy for a meteor to change it's course. Meteors are not like a planet, they don't have a constant orbit, a constant route, they suffer route alterations.
And in 21 years lot's of things can be developed. Even a missile system to destroy the meteor, far before it beginning to be a threat!
Dakaruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-08, 21:02   #10
MrBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombraider123 View Post
I don't think it will be an asteroid that will be the end of the world, I think it will be our fault like WW3 or something.
I'm pretty sure there won't be a WW3 the world has become too intertwined.. But like you said in your first post, I'm not scared about meteors either..

Only one thing to say to the thought of sudden death: carpe diem.
MrBear is online now   Reply With Quote