www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 30-08-08, 01:42   #1
tlr online
Administrator

Exclamation More-of-the-same-McCain picks Sarah Palin as running mate

Republican presidential hopeful Sen. John McCain picked Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his vice-presidential running mate, a surprising choice that adds youth to the ticket and could help the GOP attract more women voters.

Palin, 44, is the second woman to be picked as a vice-presidential candidate by a major U.S. political party and the first in the Republican Party. She's popular in her home state with approval ratings hovering near 80%, but Palin is unknown nationally and has no Washington experience -- a point Democrats were quick to make.

The selection of Palin reflects an effort by the McCain campaign to tilt the balance in a close presidential race.
Susan Carroll, senior scholar at the Center for American Women and Politics at Rutgers University, said the pick could energize Republican women "to go out and actively work for this ticket to a greater extent than they otherwise would have. For Republican women in the party, [Palin] potentially could be a very important mobilizing factor."

Rich Galen, an independent GOP strategist, also said the choice is an attempt by McCain to siphon off women who supported Hillary Clinton during her bruising but unsuccessful primary battle with Barack Obama. McCain has already been running ads centering on a former Clinton female delegate who now plans to back him.

Market Watch
tlr online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-08, 01:51   #2
Quasimodo
Tomb Raider

I like her
Quasimodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-08, 01:54   #3
EmeraldFields
Tomb Raider

At least they can't complain about Obama's experience

3 reasons why I don't want her as VP.

1. She belongs to the NRA (p.s. I get the whole people kill people thing but, without guns it would make it a whole lot harder to accomplish this goal)

2. She wants to take Polar Bears off of the endangered species list.

3. She's for off-shore drilling.

I'm sure she's a nice person, though

Last edited by EmeraldFields; 30-08-08 at 02:14.
EmeraldFields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-08, 02:00   #4
Death Mask
Archaeologist

I don't like either presidential candidate, but I sure as hell don't want Obama to win.... ever.
Old 30-08-08, 02:03   #5
tlr online
Administrator

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Mask View Post
I don't like either presidential candidate, but I sure as hell don't want Obama to win.... ever.
Why?
tlr online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-08, 02:07   #6
pizzabob18
Archaeologist

After watching obama's speech, which contained messages of peace, American revivalization, and hope for everyone in the future, I'm truely confident that he will help restore America to the prosperous nation we used to be.

If anyone hasn't watched his speech, no matter what political party they support or country they are from, I'd highly recomend viewing the whole video.

It's a speech that contains the truthful words and ideas a true leader would say and promise to act on everything he says he will.

After the speech was over, I felt confident knowing that with Obama and Biden as his VP, America, and the world in general will become a better place.

Last edited by pizzabob18; 30-08-08 at 02:16.
pizzabob18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-08, 02:14   #7
Mr.Burns
Tomb Raider

Interesting thing about charismatic politicians: They can promise the world and people will believe them. They could tell you the world is about to end and they have the only rocket out of here and the public will wish them well. Okay so that was a bit over the top but Obama is a very charismatic person and he's using that to get him into office. I worry about what he will actually do once in office. Personally I'm thinking of obstaining this year. Regarding Palin, she makes up for the ideological deficiencies that McCain has, which is a plus in keeping the core Republicans from jumping ship.
Old 30-08-08, 02:15   #8
Death Mask
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr online View Post
Why?
I am originally from a South American country (Colombia) and over the last 8 years that country has been doing very well, the violence has decreased, the kidnappings have decrease, the economy has gotten much better and a big part of than is thanks to its good relation with the U.S., I recently read somewhere (don't know the source) that Obama intends to stop supporting Colombia, something that doesn't benefit me or my country, there are other reason why I don't want Obama to win but that's my #1 reason why I don't want him to win.

Last edited by Death Mask; 02-09-08 at 04:34.
Death Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-08, 02:18   #9
EmeraldFields
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Burns View Post
Interesting thing about charismatic politicians: They can promise the world and people will believe them... I worry about what he will actually do once in office.
I think everyone worries what the winner will do. Obama or McCain, or anyone for that matter. Trust is important in politics but, it is often the most corrupt.
EmeraldFields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-08, 02:19   #10
Quasimodo
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Burns View Post
Interesting thing about charismatic politicians: They can promise the world and people will believe them. They could tell you the world is about to end and they have the only rocket out of here and the public will wish them well. Okay so that was a bit over the top but Obama is a very charismatic person and he's using that to get him into office. I worry about what he will actually do once in office. Personally I'm thinking of obstaining this year. Regarding Palin, she makes up for the ideological deficiencies that McCain has, which is a plus in keeping the core Republicans from jumping ship.
I'm worried about that, too, if he gets elected. When Obama chose Biden, I was completely repelled - McCain's choice of Palin makes me feel a bit better about voting for McCain (which I would've done regardless of whether he chose a woman or not for VP candidate).
Quasimodo is offline   Reply With Quote