Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 17-01-09, 23:57   #1
laralover_07

Default DLC Info and FAQ Thread

Hey guys.

I thought the Underworld forum needed something like this. I think the best way to put information across about stuff like this, without sounding dumb, was in FAQ style. So here's a TRF Guide to the Underworld DLC.

Please do read before posting.

Q. What does DLC stand for?

A. DLC stands for Downloadable Content. This means bonus features, add-on levels, costumes that you can pay for and download to enhance your game experience.

Q. Tell me about Tomb Raider Underworld DLC.

A. Tomb Raider Underworld is due to receive XBOX 360 exclusive content, in the form of bonus levels and costumes.

Q. Tell me about the Costumes.

A. So far, two outfit packs have been released on Xbox Live Marketplace. Each pack contains two outfits, that can be worn ingame after playing the Mediterranean Sea level. The two packs, "Classic Pack" and "Wetsuit Pack", contain Lara's Classic TR1 Outfit & Legend Style Outfit and Red Drysuit & Blue Wetsuit respectively. the "Festival Arcadia Pack" is yet to be released, and will contain outfits designed by winners of the Festival Arcadia Competition. Renders of the current downloadable costumes can be seen here. It is unknown if the costumes can be worn in the exclusive Bonus Levels.

Q. How much do the Costume Packs cost?

A. The two currently released Costume Packs, are available free of charge. Nothing is known about the pricing of the "Festival Arcadia" pack.

Q. Why are the Costume Packs only available on XBOX 360?

A. Eidos signed a contract with Microsoft, for exclusive XBOX 360 content, only available on that platform.

Q. Tell me about the Bonus Levels.

A. Microsoft has commissioned two Bonus Levels, "Beneath the Ashes" and "Lara's Shadow". Each after the events of Tomb Raider Underworld. For the full press release, see below or here.

Q. Tell me about Beneath the Ashes.

A. Beneath the Ashes is the first Bonus Level to be released on Xbox Live Marketplace. Due to be released February 24th, Beneath the Ashes is set after the events of Underworld, under the murky depths of the destroyed Croft Manor. At the moment, three screenshots have been released. All can be seen in glorious HD here. Alongside the Bonus Level, players are treated to six new, exclusive costumes and an extra 125 Achievement Points.

Q. Tell me about Lara's Shadow.

A. Lara's Shadow, the second Bonus Level to be released on March 10th. Set after Underworld, player take on the role of the devious doppelganger with only one mission. Annihilate Lara Croft.

Q. When can I download them?

A. Beneath the Ashes is released February 24th, with Lara's Shadow following on March 10th.

Q. How much will the levels cost?

A. Nothing is known about the price of the two levels. Gamestop has released special Points Packs, each with two 800 Microsoft Points cards enclosed. It has not been confirmed that the levels will be this price.

Q. Why are the Bonus Levels only available on XBOX 360?

A. Eidos signed a contract with Microsoft, for exclusive XBOX 360 content, only available on that platform.

Q. Will any of the content be released on other platforms?

A. Nothing is known about release of the content on other platforms at this point.

Q. I have an XBOX 360. Do I need the Underworld Disc to play the levels?

A. Yes, an Underworld Disc is needed to boot up the levels.

Q. How much Space do I need on my Hard Drive to download the Levels?

A. Keir has stated that at least 950mb will be needed to download both Beneath the Ashes and Lara's Shadow.

Q. I don't have an XBOX 360, does this mean I won't get the true ending?

A. No, not at all. The Bonus Levels will fill in a few plot holes, but nothing major. What you saw at the end at the end of Underworld was the true ending, you won't miss out on anything to do with the story.

Q. I heard at least 40% of the the full game was cut for the DLC, is this true?

A. No, this is a rumour. Developers did however, use concepts and ideas that were binned from the game, such as textures, objects, etc. But every game you play has things taken out, that were in the original plan. Eidos simply took the chance to recycle old ideas to produce the DLC. No code was cut from the game to produce the Bonus Levels.

Q. I've heard of Underworld XBLA themes, what are these?

A. Two themes have been released that take advantage of the new Xbox 360 Dashboard. One features background from the Southern Mexico level, complete with pillars and statues, and one focuses on Beneath the Ashes.

Q. I only have a free silver Xbox Live account. Do I need to buy a Gold membership for the DLC?

A. No, all downloads will be available for free silver account members.

Official Eidos DLC Press release:
Quote:
Eidos Interactive Ltd, creator of some of the world's leading videogame properties, today announced that Tomb Raider: Underworld - Beneath the Ashes, the first of two brand new downloadable levels in the continuing Tomb Raider adventures of Lara Croft will be available 24th February.

The second level, Tomb Raider: Underworld - Lara's Shadow, will follow on 10th March. Containing new gameplay levels and content for Tomb Raider: Underworld, both packs will be available exclusively on Xbox LIVE Marketplace for the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft.

Offering a new adventure specifically designed to extend the Tomb Raider: Underworld experience, Tomb Raider: Underworld - Beneath the Ashes sends Lara back to the remains of Croft Manor where she uncovers a massive series of never-before-seen caverns and age old crypts used to protect and hide a deadly source of power. The pack will also contain six new costumes and deliver an additional 125 achievement points.

Tomb Raider: Underworld seamlessly blends exploration, grand scale puzzle solving and combat, taking players on an archaeological journey to the ancient nether worlds of the Mediterranean, Thailand, Mexico, the Arctic Sea and more.

As fearless adventurer Lara Croft, gamers uncover proof of the existence of the Norse underworld and the mythical Hammer of Thor, and embark on a perilous journey towards a forgotten power that, if unleashed, could lay waste to all of civilization.

Lara's latest adventure introduces scores of new capabilities and state-of-the-art gear, including an active sonar map, multi-purpose grapple and an all-terrain motorbike. With fresh moves that are more intuitive and realistic than ever before, players must master these in order to navigate through treacherous environments and defeat a range of hostile enemies.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sticky Please Mods.

Last edited by laralover_07; 20-02-09 at 19:35.
laralover_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-09, 00:06   #2
william croft

Very good idea Laralover It'll help keep all DLC threads in one, way to think ahead.
william croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-09, 00:18   #3
Nick56music

Very good thread! How often did you write "More Info on Tuesday". If everything will be in this announcement, the announcement will be big (and ofc, EPIC).
Nick56music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-09, 00:30   #4
laralover_07

Thanks for that point Nick56music, I've added 'hopefully' as I don't actually know what the announcement on Tuesday will cover.
Old 18-01-09, 00:38   #5
Nick56music

Quote:
Originally Posted by laralover_07 View Post
Thanks for that point Nick56music, I've added 'hopefully' as I don't actually know what the announcement on Tuesday will cover.
That was no point. It was just a thought. But ok, maybe that's better. Otherwise, people could be disappointed and they would blame you for that, then.
Nick56music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-09, 00:52   #6
Ring_of_Fire

Quote:
Q. Tell me about the Bonus Levels.

A. Microsoft has commisioned to Bonus Levels, "Beneath the Ashes" and "Lara's Shadow". Each occur after and before the events of Tomb Raider Underworld respectively.
Fix your spelling mistake. to - two or to - 2
Ring_of_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-09, 00:54   #7
Catracoth
Inactive

Great idea, laralover_07! Finally, one big thread for all the little ones.
Catracoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-09, 01:40   #8
laralover_07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ring_of_Fire View Post
Fix your spelling mistake. to - two or to - 2
Thanks, I completely missed that when I was going over it.
Old 18-01-09, 01:54   #9
Camera Obscura

Quote:

Q. Tell me about Lara's Shadow.

A. Lara's Shadow is the second Bonus Level to be released for download on Xbox Live Marketplace. Little has been released about this bonus level. A spokesperson for Eidos stated that players would be introduced to "A new kind of playable character". Speculations are that the character is Lara's Doppleganger, introduced in Underworld. More info hopefully on Tuesday.
I'm still puzzled as to why people assume it's the Doppelganger. Amanda has as high a chance at being the playable character. We could play as her in the last level fighting off thralls and catching up to Lara. That would give CD a good reason to include a Thrall Doppelganger.
Camera Obscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-09, 05:07   #10
SykoSilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camera Obscura View Post
I'm still puzzled as to why people assume it's the Doppelganger. Amanda has as high a chance at being the playable character. We could play as her in the last level fighting off thralls and catching up to Lara. That would give CD a good reason to include a Thrall Doppelganger.
It's called "Lara's Shadow", so it's probably surrounding the Doppelganger in one way or another.

"Beneath the Ashes" is probably beneath Croft Manor...
SykoSilver is offline   Reply With Quote