www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 18-01-09, 20:31   #21
Pietras
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SykoSilver View Post
I'm still waiting to see the PS2 sales of Underworld before jumping to any conclusions.
Let's be realistic. PS2 version won't sell a million of copies. It won't even sell half of that. If TRU's lucky, it will sell 2.5 million. At most.
Old 18-01-09, 20:32   #22
NympHadorA

Quote:
I'm still waiting to see the PS2 sales of Underworld before jumping to any conclusions.
Well, I agree with you about it. PS2 sales are going to be really effective on TRU sales...
NympHadorA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-09, 20:35   #23
xMiSsCrOfTx
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mona Sax View Post
We can discuss what defines TR and where the series should go in the future all day long (not to mention things like Lara's hairstyle and the color of her boots), but the actual problem is that TR has lost its importance. I think TR1 was not only a success because it was a damn good game, but also because it was unlike anything ever done before - something revolutionary. It hasn't been able to offer anything we haven't seen in other games - often better - in quite a while.
Exactly. Until they come up with something groundbreaking/different to throw into future games, Tomb Raider will continue flickering at a dim wattage.
Old 18-01-09, 20:39   #24
SykoSilver
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
OK, you are right there. The problem I have is that I don't actually expect a super awesome game from Eidos anytime soon. My negative point of view is because the last three games, while nice, weren't revolutionary in any way.
Yes, but Eidos is working on some changes now, aren't they? I do think that another publisher with more resources (particularly financial and human resources) would be better, but let's wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietras View Post
Let's be realistic. PS2 version won't sell a million of copies. It won't even sell half of that. If TRU's lucky, it will sell 2.5 million. At most.
I don't think that's horrible, considering the economy.
SykoSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-09, 21:20   #25
Pietras
Relic Hunter

Quote:
I don't think that's horrible, considering the economy.
The economy excuse is not relevant to the video game industry. The sales are increasing and everything shows that games are recession-proof.
Old 18-01-09, 21:27   #26
SykoSilver
Student

Quote:
The economy excuse is not relevant to the video game industry. The sales are increasing and everything shows that games are recession-proof.
Lol. Games are not recession proof.

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/ne...ays-npd/?biz=1
Old 18-01-09, 21:31   #27
Anarae

Quote:
Good point. It's also worth to note that despite adding more and more systems to release on with Legend, Anniversary and Underworld did NOT help the sales increase at all, and with Underworld, they've actually started to decline even further.

TR1 - 7 million (released on Sega Saturn, PS and PC)
TR2 - 8 million (released on PS and PC)
TR3 - 5 million (released on PS and PC)
TLR - 4 million (released on Dreamcast, PS and PC)
TRC - 2 million (released on Dreamcast, PS and PC)
AoD - 3 million (released on PS2 and PC)
Legend - 3 million (released on Xbox, Xbox 360, PS2, PC, GameCube)

Anniversary - 1 million (released on Xbox 360, PS2, PC, Wii)
Underworld - 1.5 million, will end up on little more than 2 million (released on Xbox 360, PS3, PC, Wii, PS2)
Wait, am I seeing this correctly? The Failure and the Savior sold the same? And AOD sold 3 million on two platforms, but Legend which sold on serveral made the same sales. Either your math is wrong or I have a brand new statistic to use in my debates.

I hope Underworld sells well when the PS2 version comes out. The declines are seriously not good. Dropping almost half each time.
Anarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-09, 21:38   #28
SykoSilver
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarae View Post
Wait, am I seeing this correctly? The Failure and the Savior sold the same? And AOD sold 3 million on two platforms, but Legend which sold on serveral made the same sales. Either your math is wrong or I have a brand new statistic to use in my debates.

I hope Underworld sells well when the PS2 version comes out. The declines are seriously not good. Dropping almost half each time.
Legend sold around the same amount but in less time and with good reviews, so it had more potential.
Old 18-01-09, 21:53   #29
da tomb raider!
Relic Hunter

Location: Within a Zilog Z80 8-bit microprocessor designed by Zilog and sold from July 1976 onwards

Meh, as far as I'm concerned, Tomb Raider has already ended. TRU was a good game, but as a Tomb Raider game it was still unaccpetable, just like the last two games.
Old 18-01-09, 22:29   #30
Pietras
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Lol. Games are not recession proof.

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/ne...ays-npd/?biz=1
Did you even read the article? It says that although the recession had some effect on the video game industry, it's still growing great, with 1 out of every entertainment dollar being spent on the games and the customers having no plans to spend less on the games in the future. What's most important, the sales are still INCREASING. Not AS fast as they used too, but still (movie industry's grosses decreased by a bit for example in 2008). And those are still significant increases ranging from 7-12 percents. Which means TRU's sales should be increasing too. The fact that they're not big has pretty much nothing to do with the economy.

Last edited by Pietras; 18-01-09 at 22:31.
Pietras is offline   Reply With Quote