Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 24-01-09, 05:42   #1
Melonie Tomb Raider
Golden

Default Any Good Anime Recommendations?

Ok, to get straight to the point, I've just finished watching Death Note in its entirety, and have become absolutely obsessed with it. However, now that it is over, I need something else to tide me over, so I need recommendations!

Buying full seasons isn't cheap, so I want to make sure I am not wasting my money and that I get something I actually like. So keep in mind that Death Note was absolutely perfect for me, and try to use that for recommendations. I'll list some of my preference regarding different things.

First thing's first, I don't want anything that is too sexually explicit. Death Note didn't have anything too sexual, other than the little glimpse of some of the female characters while showering, etc, but it wasn't anything out of hand, I was fine with that. However, less is better for me, I'm looking for something that has a bigger focus on story and action, as opposed to sexual content.

Secondly, I like a lot of action, and violence doesn't phase me, so don't worry about that.

I like fantasy elements, but am still content with some more modern and realistic ones as well. Death Note did a great job at blending the two, which worked really well.

So that pretty much sums it up. I hope there are enough of you that like animes to help me out here.
Melonie Tomb Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-09, 05:46   #2
Carbonek_0051
Inactive

I don't know if people consider it Anime. But according to wiki and people I talk to it is, I would suggest Avatar the Last Airbender. It shocked me, I thought it would be a kiddy cartoon but it deals with death, love, war, and politics (it gets very dark in season 2 & 3). There are a lot of beautiful action scenes, and M. Night Shyamalan is adapting the 3 seasons into a trilogy. IMO it is a great series and highly underrated.

Quote:
Avatar: The Last Airbender takes place in a fantasy world that is home to humans, fantastic animals, and spirits. Human civilization is divided into four nations: the Water Tribes, the Earth Kingdom, the Air Nomads, and the Fire Nation. Each nation has its own natural element, on which it bases its society. Within each nation exists an order called "Benders" who have the ability to manipulate the eponymous element of their nation. The show’s creators assigned each Bending art its own style of martial arts, causing it to inherit the advantages and weaknesses of the martial arts it was assigned. The Bending types are Waterbending, Earthbending, Firebending, and Airbending.

Each generation yields one person who is capable of Bending all four elements, the Avatar, the spirit of the planet manifested in human form. When an Avatar dies, he is reincarnated into the next nation in the Avatar Cycle. The Avatar Cycle parallels the seasons: autumn for the Air Nomads, winter for the Water Tribe, spring for the Earth Kingdom and summer for the Fire Nation. Legend holds the Avatar must master each bending art in order, starting with his native element. This can sometimes be compromised when the situation requires it, as Aang demonstrates in the show. For the Avatar, learning to bend the element opposite his native element can be extremely difficult. This is because opposing Bending arts are based on opposing fighting styles and disciplines. Firebending and Waterbending are opposites, as are Earthbending and Airbending.

The Avatar possesses a unique power called the Avatar State, which endows the Avatar with the knowledge and abilities of all past Avatars and acts as a self-triggering defense mechanism, although it can be made subject to the will if the user opens his bodily Chakras. If an Avatar is killed in the Avatar State, the reincarnation cycle will be broken, and the Avatar will cease to exist.

Through the ages, countless incarnations of Avatar have served to keep the four nations in harmony, and maintain world order. The Avatar serves as the bridge between the physical world and the Spirit World, allowing him or her to solve problems that normal benders cannot.

Another good one is Full Metal Alchemist.

Last edited by Carbonek_0051; 24-01-09 at 06:28.
Carbonek_0051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-09, 05:54   #3
Immortalis08

Not quite good art direction but the story is amazing and quite blasphemous!

[IMG]http://i40.************/16iy0zl.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i39.************/vgn79g.jpg[/IMG]

Quote:
Plot Summary: 4000 years have passed since humanity abandoned Earth. Earth (Lost Jerusalem) itself has mysteriously dissappeared which caused mankind to abandon it and terraform other planets and now only exists in deep space. Now humanity is faced with an unknown alien entity known as the Gnosis whose only known characteristic is their utter hatred towards humans. They are almost impossible to destroy and have the ability to kill or turn their victims into one of their own. As civilization lies on the brink of destruction an anti-gnosis humanoid weapon system known as KOS-MOS mysteriously self-activates and stands as humanity's last and final hope against the onslaught of the Gnosis. However, as the story progresses it appears that KOS-MOS has an agenda of her own...
The game/animation has a lot of biblical references (which can get blasphemous to a point especially in Episode 3)

Quote:
* The password into KOS-MOS' subconscious, "Ye shall be as gods" was spoken by the serpent to Eve while tempting her to eat the forbidden fruit.

* Zohar, the name of the monolith which appears in the series, is taken from the name of a group of books that form the most important work of the Jewish Kabbalah.

* Each Zohar emulator on the title cards displays a Hebrew number.

* Mech Weapons (ES) are mysteriously named after the 12 apostles.

Unfortunately this season only covers episode 1: Der Wille Zur Macht

You'll have to play Xenosaga Episode II and III to finish the trilogy on PS2. In fact I would actually recommend playing the games instead of the animation but to each their own. Some complained because the cutscenes would take as much as half an hour.

Last edited by Immortalis08; 24-01-09 at 06:20.
Immortalis08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-09, 06:12   #4
the hooliganz

You could try Spirited Away

or Howl's Moving castle

Last edited by the hooliganz; 24-01-09 at 06:13.
the hooliganz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-09, 06:18   #5
MattTR

OMG, you're seriously missing out if you haven't watched..

Only the greatest anime of all time!

Last edited by MattTR; 24-01-09 at 06:22.
MattTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-09, 06:20   #6
Immortalis08

Why do you want to kill the Pokemon?
Immortalis08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-09, 06:23   #7
MattTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortalis08 View Post
Why do you want to kill the Pokemon?
Oops.. that wasn't suppost to say that..

Was just a random Google search, anywho! That's fixed, can't kill those cuddley cute creatures!

Last edited by MattTR; 24-01-09 at 06:49.
Old 24-01-09, 06:44   #8
erosan

I would recommend Inuyasha or Neon Genesis Evangelion. Both are excelent.

erosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-09, 06:50   #9
MattTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonek_0051 View Post

Another good one is Full Metal Alchemist.

I never got what that silly Avatar show was all about, I always thought it was about a little square that was 128x128 and under 15k kb.. oh just kidding!

But.. Full Metal totally rocks, I used to love watching it on Cartoon Network! It's a shame I don't think they run it anymore.

And that reminds me, another one of my favorite anime's is Case Closed:

It was just awesome, agent Conan.
Old 24-01-09, 07:17   #10
Melonie Tomb Raider
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by the hooliganz View Post
I love both of those.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I've seen part of the first avatar season, but I'm looking for something more mature. Same goes with pokemon.

I'll look into these other ones and get back with y'all, thanks so much.
Melonie Tomb Raider is offline   Reply With Quote