Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Drenthe, The Netherlands
Here's the list of all tutorials listed in this tutorials section.
Levelbuilding - general
These tutorials deal with the basics, but also with the more advanced skills of levelbuilding.
Installing the Level Editor
Installing Custom Levels
Level Editor Tutorial - for the beginner
- This tutorial teaches you, step by step, the basics of shaping, texturing and lighting a room and making the level playable.
Tomb Raider Level Editor Tutorial for Beginners (The Basics)
- VIDEO TUTORIAL!!
- This tutorial teaches you, step by step, the basics of shaping, texturing and lighting a room and placing objects.
Creating A Level- Covering Many Aspects
How to make a "working" levelset
Advanced lighting to create atmospheric level
Tutorials on how to make your level look better
Very Very Basic (and bad) Tutorial on Meshing and texturing... (Flash)
How to make a horizon
Uvavoo's Data Sheets
Some scripting and segmenting walls for proper texturing
Understand and Calculate Global Coordinates
[Fixing] Prj crash due missing PCX/TGA
"I did something wrong with my PC and now TRLE tools won't work!" - answered here
Sound Issues: audio and sfx
No sound? Sounds missing? Wrong pitch? Come here for solutions to your problems!
Puzzle and other objects setups
Mine detonation setup
The Mutant Egg setup
Pole Swinging, Tightrope and Zipline tutorial
How to add more waterfalls to your wad
Creating a Water Light Reflection
- create a shiny watersurface using an object
Fog bulbs and bump mapping
How to create, nice, shiny polished floors
How to set up a Global Lens Flare
Overlapping water room trick (Snow effect)
Load Camera Coordinates explained
Customizing texts and item coordinates in the inventory
OCB code list
TRLE Sprites - The Complete List
- Sprites are images used for certain effects ingame, like fire, smoke, water, etc.
- This is the complete list of the sprite numbers and for which effect they are used.
Guide, Von Croy and Jean Yves
How to make watery greatness
- A tutorial on how to make water more realistic by layering textures.
Faster texturing in Blender
Textures - Where to get them?
Textures - Where to get them?
- not a tutorial but a thread with links to various texturesites/downloads, including links to various remade classic TR texturesets.
The tutorials listed below can only be used if you are creating your level using TRNG. TRNG is an updated version of the original TRLE, called NGLE, and it has its own tomb4.exe.
TRNG allows for a whole lot of new possibilities for both gameplay and graphics.
TRNG - Advanced Puzzle with Rolling Balls (Exploding RollingB.)
- This tutorial describes how you can make two rollingballs collide and explode when they hit each other.
- You can create the illusion that something is hidden inside the rollingballs.
TRNG - Animation Scripting
- Make all sorts of new moves possible through scripting.
- The tutorial only covers some of the moves that were previously made possible with TREP.[/LIST]
TRNG - Audio: changing an audio when Lara enters a certain environment
- Change the background audio when Lara enters a different environment in which the audio can't be changed through regular triggering.
- The tutorial covers a change of background audio when going underwater.
TRNG - Customized switch sequences
- This tutorial is about setting up multiple switches and only the specific order in which the switches are used will trigger the event.
TRNG - Customizing texts and item coordinates in the inventory
- Not strictly a TRNG tutorial but there is a paragraph about specific TRNG stuff in it.
TRNG - Diary + Load + Save in one item
- a tutorial on how to put Diary, Load Game and Save Game options all in one object, like in TREP.
TRNG - Fix binoculars bug
- fixes the bug that the binoculars are not visible when Lara is looking in a mirror through the binoculars.
TRNG - Force Lara to unhand at a polerope's end
- By default Lara keeps climbing even if a polerope has ended, either above or below the placed poleropes.
- This tutorial teaches you how to make poleropes which end, like the poles and stalactites in TRA/TRL/TRU.
TRNG - How to create a trap using flipmaps
- Use flipmaps to create a trap.
TRNG - How to make Lara teleport
- With TRNG you can make Lara instantly teleport from one place to another within the level.
- This tutorial teaches you how.
TRNG - Instruction sheets
- Usefull instructionsheets to help you better organize your TRNG stuff, like the script.
- NOTE: link in the tutorial seems to be dead...
TRNG - Iron door with wheel switch (TR2-TR5 style)
- This tutorial shows you how to set up a door which has to be opened with a wheelswitch that's attached to the door. Like in TR2 and in TRC, the submarine levels.
TRNG - "Lara's Home" in Main Menu
- With TREP it is possible to add an extra "Lara's Home" entry to the main menu, kinda like you could select Croft Manor from the Main Menu in TR1-TR3.
Now, with some scripting, this is also possible with TRNG.
- The "Lara's Home" (or whatever you want to call it) can't be selected with the cursor: a hotkey is needed.
TRNG - New audio engine
- Audio can play at two different channels simulateously, volume can be changed, etc.
- All WAV formats, MP3 adn OGG can now be used. No more converting to the lower quality TRLE wav format needed!
TRNG - Ocean watersurface reflection tutorial guideline
- This tutorial is about how to make an endless looking oceansurface with a detailed horizon around, instead of distant fog
TRNG - Save Game panels
- Tired of the default gamebackground when loading or saving a game? Learn more about the SaveGamePanel here.
TRNG - Single Pistol & Single Uzi
- This tutorial is about turning the dual pistols and uzis into single guns.
TRNG - Spinning objects on pedestal
- Objects can be made to spin without having to animate them.
- This tutorial teaches you how to make a pickup item spin.
TRNG - Trigger an FMV
- FMV's can be used with the TRNG engine.
- This tutorial tells you more about it.
TRNG - Underwater Actions
- This tutorial thread contains multiple examples on how to make Lara interact with objects when she is underwater.
- UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!!
TREP is the Tomb Raider Engine Patcher. It is a program which can be used to patch the original (or XP-patched) tomb4.exe so you can use new features in your levels.
It can not be used with the TRNG tomb4.exe!!!!
Ledge Climb control with TREP
Making Guns And Ammo, and Other Items
Making pistol ammo limited
TREP Flipeffect Editor and Timer Editor User Codes
TREP Exploding patch - What works
Using TREP's custom patch editor to give Baddy1 unlimited ammo
Animation and cutscenes
The tutorials listed below are about animating objects (including Lara) and making cutscenes.
Creating Custom Animations
Lara's animations - the complete list
Metasequoia (Meta for short) is a program used to edit meshes.
So you can use this program to make your own custom objects for your levels, including new outfits and inventory for Lara.
Meta tutorial of a lantern
Creating objects with Metaseqouia
Creating a horizon
Creating new outfits
Meta - several video tutorials of making objects.
Meta - How to "draw" an object in 3D
The following tutorial is not really a tutorial on how to use Meta.
It is more of a "tips and tricks" tutorial on how to make natural looking plants, using Meta and
How to make custom plants
How to apply textures in Meta
Meta2TR can be used to enhance the graphics of your level by exporting all rooms and objects with meta2tr.exe. You can then edit the extracted .MQO files in Metasequoia after which they can be converted again to a new playable tr4.
Meta2TR - Tip on how to animate tree leaves fastly
STRpix is a program used to texture objects, give them lighting (only possible on static objects) and to export/import DFX files for editing in Meta.
STRPix is also used for "remapping vertices" which is often needed to make Lara's joint meshes connect to her skin meshes properly.
Another feature is the possibility to adjust collision on static objects.
A guide to remapping outfits
Remapping vertices with Strpix
The Light Editor
COLLISION - Adding collision to statics and animatings
Editwad tutorial: Merging 2 Objects without retexturing
Wadmerger allows you to add and remove objects from your levelwad, as well as adding sounds to a wad/object.
Wadmerger also has a Sound Manager, Animation Editor, Sprite Editor, Switch Manager and AI Editor.
COLLISION - Adding collision to statics and animatings
Image editing and objecttexturing
These tutorials show you some tips and trick when it comes to editing images, like textures and fonts, and how to prep textures for use on objects.
Custom Font Tutorial
Texturing Tutorial part 1
Creating Textures with Photoshop
Setting up for making custom UV textures via Metasequoia
Seamless scrolling waterfall object texture
Teme9's texturing & modelling method for enemies and complicated objects
TextureAdd is a program which can be used to add new textures to your wad.
If it walks like a duck and if it quacks like a duck, it is a duck.
Last edited by Titak; 28-03-13 at 16:23.