www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 26-01-10, 13:51   #1
Mad Tony
Legend

Default UK economy emerges from recession

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC News
The UK economy has come out of recession, after figures showed it had grown by a weaker-than-expected 0.1% in the last three months of 2009.

The economy had previously contracted for six consecutive quarters - the longest period since quarterly figures were first recorded in 1955.
There have been recent recovery signs - last week, UK unemployment fell for the first time in 18 months.

The UK's had been the last major economy still in recession.
Europe's two biggest economies - Germany and France - came out of recession last summer. Japan and the US also emerged from recession last year.

The weak level of growth took its toll on the value of the pound, which fell against both the dollar and the euro on the money markets.

'Below expectations'

"We can say that Britain has just crossed the line in coming out of recession," said BBC chief economics correspondent Hugh Pym.
"It [the growth figure] was below analysts' expectations. The figure could be moved down, or indeed upwards."

Our correspondent said the move out of recession had been greatly boosted by the government car scrappage scheme.

Joe Grice, from the Office for National Statistics (ONS), said the UK's production and service sectors each grew by 0.1% during the quarter.
The ONS figures also showed that GDP fell by a record 4.8% in 2009.
"The Q4 GDP figures are a major blow to hopes that the UK economy had emerged decisively from recession in Q4," said analyst Jonathan Loynes at Capital Economics.

"No doubt some commentators will claim that the figures are under-estimating the true strength of the recovery and will be revised up in time.
"That is certainly possible. But it won't change the big picture of an economy still operating way below both its pre-recession and trend levels of output.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8479639.stm

Well this is good I guess, but it doesn't really mean much. We've only just caught up with the rest of the western world and unemployment is still pretty high. We are in for a very long and slow recovery and no doubt David Cameron will get the blame for that if he gets elected as PM this year.

I just wonder when (not if) Gordon Brown will start using this to his advantage and if it'll backfire on him. After all, he helped to cause this and it's not like Labour did anything to help the economy.

Last edited by Mad Tony; 26-01-10 at 13:53.
Mad Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-10, 14:12   #2
Jack Croft
Relic Hunter

Exactly now we have to recover from it, just because were 'out' doesnt mean its finished.
Old 26-01-10, 14:32   #3
disneyprincess20
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Tony View Post

I just wonder when (not if) Gordon Brown will start using this to his advantage and if it'll backfire on him. After all, he helped to cause this and it's not like Labour did anything to help the economy.
It is pretty galling to know that he's going to start preaching about how he's "brought this country out of economic recession" when he's the one that put us there. He could have held on to some of our gold reserves instead of selling them off when the price was a rock bottom. That might of helped during the recession.

Oh wait, he said there's be no more recessions. He said he's caused the end of "boom and bust econimics".

The sooner a general election, the better. Maybe we can actually elect our leading party (and by proxy, it's leader) for once.

Last edited by disneyprincess20; 26-01-10 at 14:35.
disneyprincess20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-10, 14:32   #4
Mad Tony
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Croft View Post
Exactly now we have to recover from it, just because were 'out' doesnt mean its finished.
Well, the recession is finished but economic hardship for many people certainly isn't.

@disneyprincess20: I agree. Gordon Brown is by far the worst prime minister this country has ever had.
Old 26-01-10, 15:06   #5
Phys
Professor

It's funny how the newly elected always seem to get the blame. Gordon Brown was definitely the main blame for this but as you said, David Cameron will most likely get alot of it.
Old 26-01-10, 15:06   #6
T-Sex
Archaeologist

Uh, cool i guess.
T-Sex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-10, 15:16   #7
Mad Tony
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phys View Post
It's funny how the newly elected always seem to get the blame. Gordon Brown was definitely the main blame for this but as you said, David Cameron will most likely get alot of it.
Well, we'll just have to wait and see. While Labour are happy to blame the recession solely on the United States at the moment, once they become the opposition I'm sure they'll have no qualms about blaming Cameron and the Tories for the slow recovery. They'll probably even blame them for the huge debt as well.
Old 26-01-10, 15:55   #8
lara c. fan
Tomb Raider

I swear a politician said we were out of it quite a while ago....
Either my brain or stupid politicians...
Old 26-01-10, 16:04   #9
Mad Tony
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara c. fan View Post
I swear a politician said we were out of it quite a while ago....
Either my brain or stupid politicians...
Link? I've not heard anything about that before.
Old 26-01-10, 16:06   #10
Chocola teapot
Tomb Raider

Yay for us!