www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Fan Artwork, Pictures, Movies and Writings

Closed Thread

Old 20-02-10, 05:46   #1
Ward Dragon

Default Tomb Raider Fanfiction Competition #6 - Entries

Alright, so here's the backstory -- Lara has been poisoned (oh noes!) and she only has 24 hours to live. She must find the antidote to the poison in an ancient tomb. All of the details are up to you.

Who poisoned her and why, or was the poisoning an accident with nobody else involved? Where is the antidote located? How will she obtain it? Will she obtain it? Does she have any help or is she going it alone? Will she make preparations for her death or will she not consider failure to be an option? Be creative, answer these questions in your own unique way and come up with your own ideas that build upon the backstory. The questions are a guideline for inspiration but don't feel restricted to them if you have a different approach (as long as it follows the backstory)

The deadline is March 20th (one month from this thread being posted)

Rules:
  • Word limit suggested between 100 - 5000 words (I expect most entries will be around 2000 words, but I like giving flexibility if it is needed -- see quote below)
  • Use proper spelling and grammar
  • Leave a blank line between paragraphs for the purposes of posting the entry on the forums
  • The entry must follow the backstory outlined above (but answering all of the questions is optional)
  • The entry must be original, your own work, and specifically written for this competition
  • The entry may refer to anything from the official games, but not to another person's fan-created content
  • One official entry per person (if you post more than one that's fine, but indicate which entry will be voted upon)
  • All entries must be posted in this thread by the deadline
  • Every participant must vote in the subsequent voting thread in order to have their own entry count

I think I got everything important (and these rules can be adjusted if absolutely necessary) so venture forth, start typing, and have fun Also, credit to Eddie Haskell for giving me the idea of poisoning Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodo View Post
Instead of a word limit, I'd propose simply warning writers that when it comes to voting, they'll likely be judged by how well they 'hook' the reader rather than on the strength of the story as a whole.

Last edited by Ward Dragon; 20-02-10 at 21:41.
Old 20-02-10, 14:37   #2
Eddie Haskell
Tomb Raider

What a great idea!

I'll dust off MS word and get something done. Don't know if I can stay under the word limit and create something worthwhile, but I'll try.
Old 20-02-10, 14:43   #3
Ward Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Haskell View Post
What a great idea!
Naturally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Haskell View Post
I'll dust off MS word and get something done. Don't know if I can stay under the word limit and create something worthwhile, but I'll try.
Whoa, do you really expect to write more than 5,000 words? Well I suppose creativity comes first, so write the story and then we'll see if it's over the limit or not
Old 20-02-10, 15:05   #4
Minty Mouth
Tomb Raider

I will enter this time, I will!

In fact I will start it now, as otherwise I will porobably forget about it again . . . .
Old 20-02-10, 15:06   #5
Rai

Excellent idea Jenni (and Eddie).

I will certainly give this a go, but it's quite a challenge. *puts thinking cap on*
Old 20-02-10, 15:19   #6
Eddie Haskell
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Dragon View Post
Naturally

Whoa, do you really expect to write more than 5,000 words? Well I suppose creativity comes first, so write the story and then we'll see if it's over the limit or not
Well, I don't put a word count on my creativity. Whatever flows out and gets attached to the page is in it. So I set no limits, partularly if I happen to hit upon something that "clicks".
Old 20-02-10, 17:30   #7
Lemmie
Professor

What a fantastic competition idea! I'm in!
Old 20-02-10, 17:59   #8
aurora89
Archaeologist

Quote:
The entry may refer to anything from the official games, but not to another person's fan-created content
Could you clarify this a little? Does this mean I can't, say, have Amanda working with Lara later on after the games?

Hoping to enter; I have a ton of homework the next few weeks so we'll see, but maybe over spring break...
Old 20-02-10, 18:05   #9
Ward Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora89 View Post
Could you clarify this a little? Does this mean I can't, say, have Amanda working with Lara later on after the games?
You could do that What I meant is that you can't use unique ideas from someone else's story. So, if someone wrote a story where the Doppelganger worked with Kurtis and killed Karel (hee hee) you can't refer to that in your own story as if it actually happened. First of all, people may not have read any other fan fics but they should still be able to understand everything that's going on in your entry. Secondly, since this is a competition, it's not fair to use someone else's ideas as part of your entry (especially if they didn't give permission). So I thought it best to put that directly in the rules
Old 20-02-10, 19:13   #10
ShadyCroft
Tomb Raider

Oh I may give this one a go ! I hope I dont write more than 5000 words. I kinda already have an idea but it sounds too complicated to be less than 5000.

I'll try my best.