Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Legend

Old 23-02-10, 21:16   #1
domino92

Default Tomb Raider Legend Review

(I am not a journalist, just a fan. Thank you all for your support and encouragement)

Tomb Raider Legend (TRL) was the first game in the series to be created by a developer other than Core. The selected developer was Crystal Dynamics, a developer that goes way back with Eidos. Rather than a sequal to AOD, this game cretaes a whole new Tomb Raider series. I believe that this was an absolute necessity after AOD. Many fans were skeptical about how Tomb Raider could continue, but let me ease your worries by saying that Lara's still Lara, and perhaps better than ever. A few things keep this adventure from being better than ever.

The gameplay in TRL is different from previous TR games. Lara must still get from point A to point B by defeating enemies, solving puzzles, and zvoiding traps, but now the way Lara does it is so much different... and better! Climbing is a huge part of TRL. Lara will automatically grab onto a ledge when you jump near it, and from that ledge you can shimmy around, jump up or down, or jump of left or right. This creates so many possibilties for Laras quest. Along with ledge climbing Lara can swim, pole swing (not THAT kind boys), climb verticle poles, climb ladders, and use her grapple. The grapple functions as the ropes did. Find a piece of metal that the magnet can grab hold of and swing around. These moves create are used immensly in the game, and it plays really well. You'd be surprised how easily scaling cliffs are now.

Combat is much different now. Laras lock on now has a riticule, and you can select between enemies with the right stick. You still have your Unlimited ammo pistols, but your other gear is paired down. You can only hold one other weapon, and ammo for that weapon is limited to how much you can hold in your backpack. The alternate weapons include an Assault Rifle, SMG, Shotgun, and a Grenade Launcher. May I just say that Lara's totally badass? How so? Now she can physically fight her enemies. Lara can kick, slide into, or leap off of her enemies. If this isnt your style, then dont worry, these skills arn't necessary to play the game.

Level design took a step forward from AOD, but went didn't go very far after that. Levels are pretty linear, meaning you'll never be in the same room twice. And the puzzles are much easier. To make the game easier are two helpers, Zip and Alister, who provide hints and tips from home. But the game's length is kind of a let down. Previous games took days or even weeks if you decided not to use a walkthrough. TRL can be completed in a day. And you dont even have to use a walkthrough.

Graphically, TRL is absolutly gorgeous. Every character is almost flawlessly detailes, and levels have beautiful textures. I have nothing bad to say about the graphics of TRL, only that they get better in TRA.

As far as PS2 games go, TRL is a must have. No PS2 gamer should be without it. Even if your not a fan of creepy tombs, awing puzzles, great gun fights, or sizzling boss battles, then you at least have to admire the way they redesigned Lara. If you can find a copy thats worth $15 then great. Thats how much I'd pay for it. Xbox 360 players can get this game with Next Gen graphics, which arn't as good as they're supposed to be, but still look pretty damn good.

Graphics 9/10
Combat 8.9/10
Exploration 8/10
Gameplay 8.4/10

Overall Enjoyment 8.8/10 (This is not an average)
domino92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-10, 21:26   #2
Lara Fan 4Life

What are you talking about? Legend on 360 looks amazing!
Lara Fan 4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-10, 21:36   #3
domino92

If it does, sorry. Ive only ever seen screens of it and it hasnt majorly impressed me, but thats just my opinion. But as I said they still look pretty damn good!
Old 23-02-10, 22:37   #4
larafan25

I enjoy your first paragraph

thanks for this
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-10, 22:55   #5
domino92

No problem. I really enjoy making these

Next up on my list is TRA.
Old 24-02-10, 09:07   #6
almayah

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92 View Post
(I am not a journalist, just a fan. Thank you all for your support and encouragement)

Tomb Raider Legend (TRL) was the first game in the series to be created by a developer other than Core. The selected developer was Crystal Dynamics, a developer that goes way back with Eidos. Rather than a sequal to AOD, this game cretaes a whole new Tomb Raider series. I believe that this was an absolute necessity after AOD. Many fans were skeptical about how Tomb Raider could continue, but let me ease your worries by saying that Lara's still Lara, and perhaps better than ever. A few things keep this adventure from being better than ever.

The gameplay in TRL is different from previous TR games. Lara must still get from point A to point B by defeating enemies, solving puzzles, and zvoiding traps, but now the way Lara does it is so much different... and better! Climbing is a huge part of TRL. Lara will automatically grab onto a ledge when you jump near it, and from that ledge you can shimmy around, jump up or down, or jump of left or right. This creates so many possibilties for Laras quest. Along with ledge climbing Lara can swim, pole swing (not THAT kind boys), climb verticle poles, climb ladders, and use her grapple. The grapple functions as the ropes did. Find a piece of metal that the magnet can grab hold of and swing around. These moves create are used immensly in the game, and it plays really well. You'd be surprised how easily scaling cliffs are now.

Combat is much different now. Laras lock on now has a riticule, and you can select between enemies with the right stick. You still have your Unlimited ammo pistols, but your other gear is paired down. You can only hold one other weapon, and ammo for that weapon is limited to how much you can hold in your backpack. The alternate weapons include an Assault Rifle, SMG, Shotgun, and a Grenade Launcher. May I just say that Lara's totally badass? How so? Now she can physically fight her enemies. Lara can kick, slide into, or leap off of her enemies. If this isnt your style, then dont worry, these skills arn't necessary to play the game.

Level design took a step forward from AOD, but went didn't go very far after that. Levels are pretty linear, meaning you'll never be in the same room twice. And the puzzles are much easier. To make the game easier are two helpers, Zip and Alister, who provide hints and tips from home. But the game's length is kind of a let down. Previous games took days or even weeks if you decided not to use a walkthrough. TRL can be completed in a day. And you dont even have to use a walkthrough.

Graphically, TRL is absolutly gorgeous. Every character is almost flawlessly detailes, and levels have beautiful textures. I have nothing bad to say about the graphics of TRL, only that they get better in TRA.

As far as PS2 games go, TRL is a must have. No PS2 gamer should be without it. Even if your not a fan of creepy tombs, awing puzzles, great gun fights, or sizzling boss battles, then you at least have to admire the way they redesigned Lara. If you can find a copy thats worth $15 then great. Thats how much I'd pay for it. Xbox 360 players can get this game with Next Gen graphics, which arn't as good as they're supposed to be, but still look pretty damn good.

Graphics 9/10
Combat 8.9/10
Exploration 8/10
Gameplay 8.4/10

better then ever?? BETTER THEN EVER?? IT's the stupidest Lara in the series, hello hwo else makes jokes while 20 henchman are shooting??
almayah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-10, 09:15   #7
Double Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by almayah View Post
IT's the stupidest Lara in the series, hello hwo else makes jokes while 20 henchman are shooting??
Duke Nukem ('hail to the king, baby!', 'your face, your ass... what's the difference?'), Shadow Warrior's Lo Wang ('huh huh, you look like a stoopid!', 'I KEEL YOU!!!', 'you're half the man you used to be!' - this after cutting an opponent in half) and Blood's Caleb (although I can't remember anything specific at the moment).

But you're right... Lara is absolutely horrible as a character in that game.

EDIT:

Quote:
Level design took a step forward from AOD, but didn't go very far after that. Levels are pretty linear, meaning you'll never be in the same room twice.
For the record, it might seem like a rare occurrence but you do get to retrace your steps here and there. In Peru, for instance, you get to negotiate the ‘cutscene pit’ on your own and make your way back through the freshly transformed environment after solving the main puzzle. In Ghana, you return to a certain chamber after activating the waterwheel (or whatever the thing is called) and you end up high above the initial area at some point (which allows you to take another dive into the water if you feel like you’ve missed something). You launch into a fairly adventurous detour in order to activate the Tesla gun in Kazakhstan. And, finally, the last section of the England level practically amounts to backtracking.

Last edited by Double Mac; 24-02-10 at 10:44. Reason: Backtracking in Legend
Double Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-10, 13:11   #8
tranniversary119

Quote:
Originally Posted by almayah View Post
better then ever?? BETTER THEN EVER?? IT's the stupidest Lara in the series, hello hwo else makes jokes while 20 henchman are shooting??
That's his opinion which he's entitled to...but anyways, another great review!
tranniversary119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-10, 16:23   #9
almayah

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranniversary119 View Post
That's his opinion which he's entitled to...but anyways, another great review!
I know, and THAT is my oppinion
almayah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-10, 20:44   #10
!Lara Croft!
Inactive

Quote:
Graphics 9/10
Combat 8.9/10
Exploration 8/10
Gameplay 8.4/10

Graphics : i agree

Combat : i partially agree, AOD was better.

Exploration : What the Hell! There is none. You just run around in passages. And if there are any big rooms there is only one way to traverse them. Also event the slightest hint of actuall exploration is deistroyed by zip and alister saying 'stand on that pressure plate'. I dont want them to tell me, i want to do it myself.

Gameplay : i disagree, i found this the most difficult lara to control (on PC), to sucessfully play you need three hands, one on the E, F, G, H, keys, one on the up, left, down and right keys, and one on the mouse, i dont know about you but i dont have three hands. Especially after coming from the sencible core lara. Ctrl is action, Alt is Jump and SPACE is draw/holster guns.

Overall Enjoyment : It is an enjoyable game, but not as a tomb raider game.
!Lara Croft! is offline   Reply With Quote