www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 14-03-10, 00:18   #21
dizzydoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by irjudd View Post
"Video games aren't art"

I'd be interested to know what the thousands of creative designers and graphic artists that put their heart mind and soul into the creation of some of the most beautiful vistas and art direction in some games, would have to say about that.

I tend to say that anyone that questions video games as art needs to go spend a few hours in Oblivion. Travel from north to south, east to west, and watch the sun come up and down. Watch the weather change. Just the views are an absolute work of art. It takes a creative vision to come up with the things you'll see there. I don't buy that there wasn't any personal expression and creative processes involved.

I couldn't agree more.
dizzydoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-10, 00:42   #22
]{eith
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encore View Post
And this, is my opinion. Sorry if I offended anyone's sensibilities.
Well when you state something like a fact like this;

Quote:
Video games aren't art. I wish some people would just get over it already. What's wrong with comic books being about super heroes and video games being about fun? Maybe I'm just too old school to comprehend the importance of video games' "affirmation" or whatever..
Then it doesn't really seem like it's your opinion.

Anyway, on the subject at hand, of course videogames are an art form. Art has no restrictions. It's an expression, and can be expressed through the medium of videogames. The conceptual artwork used for the first 7 Mortal Kombat games is evident of that. The artists behind those games were so creative, everytime I got a new game I'd hurry to unlock the concept art just my jaw could hit the floor.
]{eith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-10, 02:14   #23
Uzi master
Relic Hunter

but, would you want to play a game thats not fun? I think that many games have compelling asspects but the main focus of a GAME is fun, A game with no fun is a game that wont sell. Also take the sims games, from simcity to the sims 3 they dont have violence(unless you count some small asspects) but there fun, as an example. Also sport games raceing games, simulation games like rollercoaster tycoon, but I think I lost my point, ahh no-one would really buy any of those games if they werent fun, and they dont really have "juvenile violence" and to suceed you must not be "stupid", that line ****ed me off

Also, seriously games arent all about violence, out of all the games I've had there is at least some emotional orromantic or something in it, he doesnt really look past the gameplay does he?

Last edited by Uzi master; 14-03-10 at 02:20.
Uzi master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-10, 04:18   #24
oocladableeblah
Relic Hunter

If games are not art than why am I going to an art school to get into the gaming industry.

Games are art, if you don't think so just look at flower, that game is art and is very beautiful.
Old 14-03-10, 04:46   #25
interstellardave
Tomb Raider

Quote:
True art is personal expression without restraints. A Video game, primarily designed to be played out by other people, will never be able to achieve that status.
By your definition I'm not sure how much "true art" is out in the mainstream population in ANY form, be it books, movies, games, etc. Often creative people are forced to make some compromises for various reasons--particularly when they are funded by others. Does this diminish their artistic expression to nothing?
Old 14-03-10, 04:49   #26
just*raidin*tomb
Tomb Raider

In my opinion any form of creative expression is an art. There's ALOT of art behind video games. Story telling, concept arts, character design, art style. The whole process is an artistic one! Much like film making...that's definately an art.
Old 14-03-10, 05:01   #27
interstellardave
Tomb Raider

This guy is right on the money, by the way. Most games are primarily nothing more than a macho power trip... and that's why the medium hasn't broken out and become even more popular than it already is.

A game like Heavy Rain won't change that by itself. We need several Heavy Rains, and games that, while not exactly like it, are also more than just macho power trips. That's the only way to make gaming bigger than it is now, because the "I like to blow people up" audience is already on board. Other audiences need to be drawn into gaming so the industry can broaden it's appeal even more.

And he's right, also, by saying that games that are mostly mindless fun won't by going away in this process... not at all; their movie counterparts are usually highly successful as well.

NOTE: You didn't watch the video if you think he's saying games shouldn't be fun. You also didn't watch if you think he's saying that games are only fun because of violence. He's simply saying that simple fun (whether it's mario jumping on heads or heads being blown off in Gears Of War) is just about ALL that the gaming industry is offering. He's not saying it needs to stop offering that, just that it should also start offering more than just that.

Last edited by interstellardave; 14-03-10 at 05:07.
interstellardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-10, 06:59   #28
Uzi master
Relic Hunter

Still, I think that the gameing industry is more than what this guy thinks, but perhaps I just have a different set of games than most people, I myself would never act like that guy described but when I look at a friend of mine (who's not a fan of TR, to say the least) is rather offensive towards games that arent shooting and hacking.
Uzi master is offline   Reply With Quote