Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 04-08-10, 20:36   #1
feanor

Default PC Raider... Does it stack up ?

Ayup All...

I just thought I would sound everyone out considering what they thought specifically on ALL the PC versions of TR.

My PC is now about 2 yrs old, but is still OK and 'Fast' enough because I keep it Clutter-free in respect to other programs, pictures (all kept online), Music and all the other Dross one usually puts on, slowing its operation. It's an HP PC running Vista Home Premium .

I've seen some of the various TRs in Bargain Buckets for the PC and to date, I've never been interested, having all the rest on Playstation 1&2, with Underworld on XBox 360. But now having finished Underworld and being a little worried about the GOL format, I reckon its time to re-visit the Classics But use my swish (OK, OK it's 'Old' I know... LOL) PC. I have an XBox PC type controller for it, and well, I just wondered what you Guys thought. Should I 'Waste' 3 Quid a time and dive in ? or steer clear ? I'm pretty sure I've forgotten SOME of the old TR routes, puzzles and traps, so It's not like it'll be just an exercise in re-treading old ground !

What does everyone think ?

Last edited by feanor; 04-08-10 at 20:57.
feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-10, 20:49   #2
Ward Dragon
Golden

I like the PC version of the classics better because there is true save-anywhere in all of them, the graphics are a bit sharper, TR3 has gamma control to adjust the brightness, and I personally find the keyboard controls easier to use than the PS1 controller (but that probably depends on which one you are used to ).

If your gamepad has variable pressure triggers (if it can actually tell how hard you are pulling the trigger buttons) then the triggers probably will not work in the classics. You'd have to work around not using those two buttons if you wanted to use the gamepad.
Ward Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-10, 21:30   #3
ShadyCroft

I say go for it. I have always played Tomb Raider on PC and I don't think I could get comfortable as much anywhere else. The controls are easy and intuitive and they're just amazing and fun.
ShadyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-10, 22:04   #4
Dark Lugia 2

The classic PC TRs play better with the keyoard imo. They use simple controls and using a gamepad for those games would be a bit awkward. The gamepad is much more useful for CD's TRs.

I bought TR 4 recently and have been loving it on the PC, so I think its worth diving in.
Dark Lugia 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-10, 01:56   #5
irjudd

PC versions are 2.3 million times better. Get them. Smart AND awesome people do. You do want to be smart and awesome don't you?
irjudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-10, 09:45   #6
Dustie

Ward Dragon pretty much sums it all up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lugia 2 View Post
The classic PC TRs play better with the keyoard imo. They use simple controls and using a gamepad for those games would be a bit awkward. The gamepad is much more useful for CD's TRs.
I love playing the classics with a PSX-like pad, it's great, controls are very simple and you get used to it really fast.

I wouldn't be able to play current Tomb Raiders on a pad, due to camera-relative controls (I don't want to bother controlling both character and the view).

Last edited by Dustie; 05-08-10 at 09:46.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-10, 10:04   #7
igonge

I like playing the games on PC but using the keyboard with the classics hurts my hands
igonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-10, 21:45   #8
feanor

Ayup All...

Thanks. I'll start to pick them up as I come across them again.

@IRJudd...

ONLY 2.3 Million times? I hope you used a proper test that I can use to verify that. I'll use my Cabled Microsoft (XBox type) controller, so I should have no probs there. I don't do Keyboards... Only to type with.
feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-10, 21:49   #9
Sgt BOMBULOUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by feanor View Post
Ayup All...

Thanks. I'll start to pick them up as I come across them again.

@IRJudd...

ONLY 2.3 Million times? I hope you used a proper test that I can use to verify that. I'll use my Cabled Microsoft (XBox type) controller, so I should have no probs there. I don't do Keyboards... Only to type with.
I've heard good things about the X-box controller, so you should be set. Did you use your PC for TRU or a console?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lugia 2 View Post

I bought TR 4 recently and have been loving it on the PC, so I think its worth diving in.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with this... I used a Logitech Rumblepad II to play through TR2 and am now playing TR3... It feels no different than playing TR1 on the original PS1...

Last edited by Sgt BOMBULOUS; 05-08-10 at 21:51.
Sgt BOMBULOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-10, 22:18   #10
[Xmas]

I have all Tomb Raider games for PC
[Xmas] is offline   Reply With Quote