www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 07-08-12, 17:05   #1
lcroft_lc
Tomb Raider

Default Mafia (Series)

Mafia is a third-person shooter video game series that as of 2012 consists of two main games, first one was released in 2002 and the second one in 2010. The games appeared on the Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Cloud (OnLive), Java Platform ME, Mac OS X platforms. The third game on the franchise is rumored to be working for some time.

Main Series

Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven

Mafia (also known by its full title, Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven) is a third-person shooter video game initially made for Microsoft Windows in 2002 (and later ported to the PlayStation 2 and the Xbox in 2004). It was developed by Czech company Illusion Softworks and published by Gathering of Developers. The game allows the player to take on the role of a mafioso who has to accomplish various missions in order to advance in the game. It received strong critical reaction and continued to maintain a loyal cult following. As of March 12, 2008, Mafia has sold 2 million copies according to Take-Two Interactive.

Mafia: The City Of Lost Heaven Trailer

Mafia II

Mafia II is a third-person action-adventure video game, the sequel to Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven. It is developed by 2K Czech, previously known as Illusion Softworks, and is published by 2K Games. Originally announced in August 2007 at the Leipzig Games Convention, it was released on Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in August 2010. The Mac OS X edition of the game was published by Feral Interactive in December 2011. A version of the game for mobile platforms was developed by Twistbox Entertainment and released in 2010 by Connect2Media.

Mafia II Announcement Video
Mafia II E3 trailer
Mafia II Launch Trailer
Mafia II: Joe's Adventures trailer
Mafia II: The Betrayal of Jimmy Trailer
Mafia II: Jimmy's Vendetta Trailer

Mafia III
To Be Announced

A recent news of Mafia III
Mafia 3 in development for Xbox 720 & PS4 – Report

Quote:
Mafia 3 is currently in development for next-gen consoles, according to an alleged 2K Games source close to Eurogamer.cz.

The Eurogamer.cz report also states that Mafia 3 was originally due to hit Xbox 360 and PS3, but was pushed back to next-gen formats.

We contacted 2K Games for comment and a company rep told us, “2K does not comment on internet rumour or speculation.”

The source also claims Mafia 3 will launch 2013.
http://www.vg247.com/2012/08/07/mafi...20-ps4-report/
Old 07-08-12, 17:06   #2
Carbonek_0051

First game was amazing, the second one was ****. I am not interested in a third.
Carbonek_0051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-12, 19:31   #3
lcroft_lc
Tomb Raider

The first Mafia game is probably the best game I've ever played.

It was a tough job to make a great sequel of the first title. Story wise the second one is not even good. But I like the gameplay and Empire Bay city. I heard a rumor that Mafia III might be a direct sequel to Mafia II which I don't want. I want a new protagonist, a new era and a new settings. Just like Assassin's Creed do with each numbered sequel.
Old 07-08-12, 19:35   #4
ajrich17901
Tomb Raider

I loved the second Mafia games, the characters were really likable. Hoping for a third game soon.
Old 07-08-12, 19:47   #5
Agent 47
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonek_0051 View Post
First game was amazing, the second one was ****. I am not interested in a third.
Totally agree with this.

The original (which i still own the PC version of) is a splendid game indeed, the score was very well executed as was the writing. I liked playing Mafia II but i didn't enjoy it as much as the first, needless to say i sold it once i Platinum-ed it
Old 07-08-12, 22:27   #6
Mad Tony
Legend

The first Mafia game is a work of art. On the back of the case it's got a quote from same magazine which says "the video game of the best gangster movie Scorsese never made". Probably the best way of describing it.

Got the second game but haven't got round to playing it yet.
Old 08-08-12, 02:34   #7
Sir Croft
Legend

Love both of them, Mafia 2 wasn't as good ad the first one, but it was definitely one of the best games I played in 2010.
Old 08-08-12, 02:36   #8
Carbonek_0051

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Croft View Post
Love both of them, Mafia 2 wasn't as good ad the first one, but it was definitely one of the best games I played in 2010.
Didn't play many games did you?
Carbonek_0051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-12, 23:06   #9
jarekhanzelka
Tomb Raider

I'm surprised (pleasantly so) to see this much love for the original Mafia. I kept thinking it's just unknown around here.

As for Mafia II, I must admit the beginning of Chapter 2 could be one of my favourite gaming moments ever. It was brief, but still very memorable. Furthermore I greatly appreciated the occasional musical cameos from the first game, and of course the rather unexpected cameo of Tommy as well. Last but not least, I ended up liking the sequel's main theme notably better than the one of the first game (although I guess that's just because I heard the one from the first game way too many times now and just know it all too well).

The other aspects and moments of the game however proved to be rather disappointing. Don't get me wrong, I never expected the sequel to come anywhere near the excellence of the first game (quite simply because the first game truly is a one of a kind piece of work, not to mention Vávra leaving the development halfway through, and the fact the sequel never aspired for an equal level of realism and difficulty) but even so it was just...underwhelming. Too short, too easy and the audiovisuals aside completely free of any wow-factors.
Old 09-08-12, 03:28   #10
Lara's Nemesis
Relic Hunter

Have only played the 2nd one so far. Loved the part when the 2 drunk guys were singing in the back of the car.

Can't link to it on here because it has at least one f bomb.
Lara's Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote