Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 06-12-10, 00:35   #1
lord gaga

Default Religous holidays.

Hey guys and gals of the forums. I would like to talk about religous holidays as christmas is coming up. I feel as if the children are forgeting what the true meaning of these holidays mean. I mean look at what they think of it now.

Christmas:
Really about the birth of jesus and how happy this day is supposed to be to us we give each other gifts to represent the 3 wise men's gifts of happiness. Now it's about santa clause giving gifts to good kids and giving coal to bad one.

Easter:
The death of jesus and how we should really look at it as a good thing as he saved us from sin. Now it somehow turned into a big rabbit hiding eggs all over the place. Now how did that happen?

Even halloween which was about warding off evil spirts by dressing even more grusome turned into kids getting candy by wearing clown outfits.

Now really i think we are losing the true meaning of these holidays and wonder is there are anyone else out here that feel this was. Sorry if you do not conform to christianty and feel offened by this thread.
lord gaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-10, 00:47   #2
Trigger_happy

All public holidays change meanings. However, I don't think Christmas is now entirely about presents. If you only ever watched telly ads, then you might think that, but now its about bringing family together and spending the whole day having fun. The presents are nice, but now I'm at an age where playing with my presents isn't possible on the day, and I think I look forward to Christmas even more. Its a time of not having to work, of being free from responsibility, or meeting family and having laid back fun.
Trigger_happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-10, 00:51   #3
disapearing-boy

I don't feel offended, it's a valid discussion. Although halloween was never a christian festival. It was a pagan ritual practised by the Celts who believed the gateway to the underworld/after life would open. So they'd sacrifice some cows and burn their bodies as a sacrifice to appease the spirits and wear masks scare them away. So I would personally choose candy over burning dead animals any day, so at least that tradition improved! Now we just burn wood and tyres (and the occasional cat)..

I never understood the whole easter bunny thing, it's not really used in Ireland. No-one hides easter eggs here, but we do eat them. I agree that these holidays have lost their meaning and are completely commercial nowadays. I'm not really religious but I sympathise and can understand your frustration.

Although wikipedia says
'The egg is widely used as a symbol of the start of new life, just as new life emerges from an egg when the chick hatches out'

So it was a pagan symbol but it did fit the Christian beliefs of the resurrection, so I guess they kept it after converting. The chocolate bit was obviously just someone trying to make money. It worked:/

Last edited by disapearing-boy; 06-12-10 at 00:57.
disapearing-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-10, 00:52   #4
Lara's home

Well, I wouldn't mind getting gold for christmas either.
Lara's home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-10, 00:54   #5
larafan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara's home View Post
Same.

I also wouldn't mind being treated as the son of God.
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-10, 00:58   #6
Squibbly

Most religious people I know celebrate the holidays you mentioned for the Christian reasons you mentioned (except Halloween - the families I know either don't celebrate that at all or dress up and go trick-or-treating).

Non-religious people or those not strict about it do not celebrate these holidays for the religious purpose of them, obviously. What's the issue? I wouldn't say kids are "forgetting the meanings". Rather, kids are celebrating these holidays in ways they were raised to.

Last edited by Squibbly; 06-12-10 at 01:03.
Squibbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-10, 01:01   #7
Chocola teapot

I love the holidays, They truly make life.

[IMG]http://i55.************/qxj37p.jpg[/IMG]
Chocola teapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-10, 01:05   #8
Legend of Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara's home View Post
Be prepared to toss around some small bombs for that to happen.
Legend of Lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-10, 01:10   #9
oocladableeblah

I don't see anything bad about the meaning of holidays changing. All religions have similarities.
For Christmas not celebrating the day because of Jesus isn't bad not everyone believes in that, but they might find something about Christmas like the family getting together nice and thus they incorporate it into their beliefs. Things change through time.
oocladableeblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-10, 01:12   #10
Lara's home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend of Lara View Post
Be prepared to toss around some small bombs for that to happen.
I actually think you're on to something.. I see, now..

It was Jewatrice, all along.
Lara's home is offline   Reply With Quote