Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 07-12-10, 01:01   #1
robm_2007

Default Are all religions and mythologies canon in the Tomb Raider universe?

We've delved into many religions and mythologies in TR, some of the letter being regarded as an actual religious-type belief system in ancient times.

Whether it be Roman/Greek Mythology (TR1), Egyptian Mythology (TR1 and LR), Hinduism (TR3), Christianity (AOD?), Buddhism (TR2?) Norse (TRU), Mayan (TRU and GOL), etc.

So, how can all of these belief systems all exist, and all be real? (in the TR universe, that is).

Even if you take only the belief systems used in Core's and CD's respected games, there are still religious/mythological groups that would seem to impossibly exist together.
----------
Has anyone else wondered about this?
robm_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10, 01:03   #2
Tombraiderx08

nvm, misread

Um... I dunno . Maybe it all falls back on that atlantean mother culture thing?

Last edited by Tombraiderx08; 07-12-10 at 02:13.
Tombraiderx08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10, 01:59   #3
Squibbly

I've never thought about it, no, but my initial response would be: because the Tomb Raider games are works of fiction.

Varying religions and mythologies are just interpretations of basically the same idea, so it's possible for all of them to coexist in our world (but won't since endless fighting will forever be present, no changing that). As for the Tomb Raider world, it's not meant to be taken seriously, as you know. I don't think anyone working on the series ever considered it.

Last edited by Squibbly; 07-12-10 at 02:01.
Squibbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10, 02:09   #4
benjamin_2010

Well, seeing as there is no one "correct" religion, the game creators can basically go into any myth or religion and make them as real as they like. I prefer that they do this, it not only allows for more games but keeps the game rather neutral in this sort of debate. Who says all of those religions aren't "real"? What exactly is a "real" religion...

Now that I think about it, I really don't enjoy those instances when Lara (since TRL, anyway) utters "My God!" as a form of surprise.
benjamin_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10, 02:14   #5
robm_2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin_2010 View Post
Well, seeing as there is no one "correct" religion, the game creators can basically go into any myth or religion and make them as real as they like. I prefer that they do this, it not only allows for more games but keeps the game rather neutral in this sort of debate. Who says all of those religions aren't "real"? What exactly is a "real" religion...

Now that I think about it, I really don't enjoy those instances when Lara (since TRL, anyway) utters "My God!" as a form of surprise.
It's just a saying. She's not claiming ownership to this God she speaks of.

Anyways, i was just wondering how so many religions and mytholgies can exist togehter, yet them not be contradicting one another. Which God is the real God? whether it be the God of all Gods, or a God or Goddess of a certain area (War, Wisdom, Knowledge, Sea, Underworld, etc.)
robm_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10, 04:02   #6
QiX

Easy answer: all the monotheisms are false, all the polytheisms are true. Each religious system which claims their God is the only one contradicts the other 5 thousand religions in the world. That's why the devil is so popular. My God is true, all the others are different forms of the Devil. Wich is a lame excuse.
QiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10, 05:12   #7
Dark Lugia 2

This is one thing that used to fascinate me about TR More notably, The Hindu(?) statue that comes to life in the first TR film
Dark Lugia 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10, 05:34   #8
Alpharaider47

Quote:
Originally Posted by robm_2007 View Post

Anyways, i was just wondering how so many religions and mytholgies can exist togehter, yet them not be contradicting one another. Which God is the real God? whether it be the God of all Gods, or a God or Goddess of a certain area (War, Wisdom, Knowledge, Sea, Underworld, etc.)
The way I always looked at it(in real life and in gaming) is that perhaps, every religion is simply worshiping the same god using different name(s). So in that sense, it could all just be their take on things, and perhaps within the game world, it's all got some truth to it? I'm not quite sure how to word my answer, but yes, I think it could all coexist in the game universe
Alpharaider47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10, 05:43   #9
Mikky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squibbly View Post
I've never thought about it, no, but my initial response would be: because the Tomb Raider games are works of fiction.

Varying religions and mythologies are just interpretations of basically the same idea, so it's possible for all of them to coexist in our world (but won't since endless fighting will forever be present, no changing that). As for the Tomb Raider world, it's not meant to be taken seriously, as you know. I don't think anyone working on the series ever considered it.
My thoughts exactly. Except my version of thoughts wasn't as complex.
Mikky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10, 06:32   #10
silver_wolf

I look at it the same way I do in the Indiana Jones movies. There are supernatural forces at work, some more powerful than others. Which is the ultimate is unclear... and probably a matter of personal choice.
silver_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote