Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 13-05-11, 01:18   #1
Lizard of Oz

Default Genpets - Bioengineered Household Pets

Have you guys heard of the new "Genpets" that have come into the market recently? They are produced by a company named BioGenica, and they are a hybrid type of animal created by the genetic make-up of different animals.

From the website:

Quote:
Say Hello to the all New Genpets™ from Bio.Genica!
The Genpets™ are Pre-Packaged, Bioengineered pets implemented today!
That’s right, Genpets are not toys or robots. They are living, breathing genetic animals.

We use a process called "Zygote Micro Injection" which is quickly becoming a favourable method to combine DNA, or to insert certain proteins from different species. Most notably it was used in 1997 to splice mice with bioluminescent jellyfish (link) and has since been used to create glowing rabbits, pigs, fish, and monkeys (link). Since then, human DNA has been injected into rabbits, chimpanzees, spider DNA into sheep, and now, Genpets have arrived!

Read National Geographic's site for more information on human animal hybrids

We’ve gone one step further by packaging the Genpets™ into plastic packages unlike any other. Each Genpet™ package has a fully functional heart rate monitor and Fresh Strip to better gauge the state of each pet while it lies in its hibernation state.

From there we’ve broken it down even further. While each Genpet may look the same, really they aren’t. Each Genpet™ comes with a color-coded personality. For example, a child that wishes to have a Genpet™ that is very energetic would choose a Red Genpet™ (see features section for details).
Engineered DNA, engineered personalities, and engineered lifespan, it doesn’t come any better than that. Bio-Genica has you covered on all bases. Just leave the details to us.

In the Packages
As you’ve noticed, each Genpet™ comes pre-packaged as a fully self-contained unit. This packaging is part of what truly separates the Genpets™ from every other product on the market today. Each package has an embedded microchip that monitors and controls the state of the Genpet while it is asleep waiting for you to take it home. Better yet, it displays the status of the Genpet™ with a Fresh Strip, as well as a fully working heart monitor in the top right of the package.

Out of the packages, Genpets™ have limited mobility. Like dolls, puppies or human babies, they must be looked after and cared for. Upon waking from its dormant state the Genpet™ will immediately bond or imprint to your child.

The Genpet™ line-up pulls its basis from a natural1 stage of evolution in the market. Dolls and robotic toys quickly become tiresome, while traditional pets require a high level of upkeep. Genpets™ however, learn and adapt 2. They are living pets, but better, modified2 to be as reliable, dependable and efficient as any other technology we use in our busy lives.

Read on the frequently asked questions. These are some of the ones I found most strange:

Are Genpets Real animals? How?
Genpets are living, breathing mammals. Bio-Genica is a Bioengineering Company that has combined, and modified existing DNA to create the Genpets lineup. Genpets have blood, bones, and muscle; they will bleed if you cut them, and die if mistreated just like any other animal. The electronic components are only in the packages and are for basic life support, outside of the packages the Genpets are wholly organic

Genpets are packaged like toys though.
Genpets are designed to be sold on retail store shelves, not traditional pet stores. This is why they are packaged in plastic.

Do Genpets feel pain?
Yes. However the Genpets have limited vocal chords so they will not create a large amount of noise when disturbed.

Do Genpets come out of the packages?
Yes, after purchase Genpets can be removed from their package; we will soon be doing a photo shoot to make this more clear through the website. Think of Genpets as living dolls. Genpets are designed to move more like a newborn human child, thus their range of motion is rather limited.

Do Genpets grow hair or fur?

Very Little. Genpets only grow a small amount of hair under their armpits. The Genpets are designed to resemble human babies and be hypo allergenic.

Do Genpets bite?
Genpets should not bite, however Bio-Genica does sell the tooth remover kit.

How are the personalities controlled?

The Genpet feeding packs are color coded and specially formulated with a custom drug mixture that can be used to control the Genpet, much like human drugs can such as Ritalin or Lithium and other behaviour modifying drugs. Thus we can calm them, or stimulate them without extra tampering to the DNA structure.

What do I do with my Genpet once it dies?
A Genpet can be buried in your backyard like any other pet, or they can be sent back to a Bio-genica service center for bio recycling.

Is Bio-Genica playing God?
A question we unfortunately receive far too often. The collie, the poodle, the common house cat, the ferret, and countless other animals have been bred by human beings over the last few thousand years long before bioengineering.

Isn't it inhumane to pack the Genpets into packages with only small breathing holes?
While the Genpets are in their packages they are clean, well fed, and most importantly asleep. Now compare this to the current pet store situation where multiple animals are encased in small cages or glass aquariums together, not always fed or cleaned regularly, and going over the trauma of hundreds of people poking and taping at the cages, small children screaming, birds chirping, and all the smells that may not bother your nose, but are far more intense for a small animal. Bio-Genica has developed the most humane form of pet transport that is beneficial to both the you and your Genpet.

This is genetic engineering at it's worst. I find the whole industry sinister and inhumane. What do you guys think? Do you support the company? What do you think about the product concerning the ethic of science? Would you ever buy one and why?
Lizard of Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-11, 01:23   #2
larafan25

At first glance it's really cool!

Then you read the ****ed up information and it's like out of some frigged up horror movie. This is terrible, those poor lifes.

Is it real?:/

edit: Creepy ass ****!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn86mRupu-E

I want to buy them all and save them!

Last edited by larafan25; 13-05-11 at 01:25.
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-11, 01:26   #3
xXhayleyroxXx

Someone tell me this isnt real or I'm having a nightmare. Thats ****ing screwed up.
xXhayleyroxXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-11, 01:27   #4
Lara's Nemesis

What the hell is that thing the guy is cuddling in the 1st picture?
Lara's Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-11, 01:29   #5
larafan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXhayleyroxXx View Post
Someone tell me this isnt real or I'm having a nightmare. Thats ****ing screwed up.
Say goodbye to your career, say goodbye to your loved ones, say goodbye to life as you know it.

From this moment on, our disgusting inhumane future propels us to become masked heroes. Running through the night stealing Genpets.

We'll need a plan to save them.

Sorry that just felt right.:/

I'm still in shock that this is real. How much can they move their limbs?

If souls are real...man would it suck to get put into one of them. D:
Old 13-05-11, 01:30   #6
leglion
Inactive

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/genpets.asp
leglion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-11, 01:31   #7
larafan25

Oh thank God.>.>
Old 13-05-11, 01:32   #8
Lizard of Oz

I'm still trying to convince myself this isn't real.

EDIT: OMG, phew!!! Thanks legion!!

Last edited by Lizard of Oz; 13-05-11 at 01:41.
Lizard of Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-11, 01:33   #9
xXhayleyroxXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
Say goodbye to your career, say goodbye to your loved ones, say goodbye to life as you know it.

From this moment on, our disgusting inhumane future propels us to become masked heroes. Running through the night stealing Genpets.

We'll need a plan to save them.

Sorry that just felt right.:/

I'm still in shock that this is real. How much can they move their limbs?

If souls are real...man would it suck to get put into one of them. D:
Why... I can't get my head around it. Limited vocal cords? so they wont scream as much if you cut them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leglion View Post
still.... the reactions of the kids and the fact it was even thought of...
xXhayleyroxXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-11, 01:36   #10
Simochka

I knew from the beginning it was fake. I mean.... come on
Simochka is offline   Reply With Quote