Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 13-06-11, 20:23   #1
Jami393

Default How do you put music on to an iPod?

I am new to the whole iPods but have seen them many times and have just got given one by my friend in class, the only problem is I do not know how to put music on to it. Also someone said to me about iTunes or something along those lines, and i don't really want to doenload iTunes from Apple.
Jami393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-11, 20:27   #2
Capt. Murphy

I've never used them but I've always assumed you have to buy songs at the (edit) iTunes or whatever.

And that's what has kept me from even considering buying any iPod product. I like having the ability of using songs I already have on my computer and putting them on my MP3 device.

Last edited by Capt. Murphy; 13-06-11 at 20:32.
Capt. Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-11, 20:28   #3
Cochrane
Golden

iTunes. You install it, put all your music in there, and it handles the rest.

There are third-party solutions out there that claim to do away with iTunes. Googlemis your friend for them. I haven't tried any of them, and they are not supported by Apple, so if something doesn't work, you're on your own.

So in short, iTunes is the way to go.
Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-11, 20:29   #4
BlackRainbow

Well, as far as I know you NEED to use iTunes to put music/videos etc. on your iPod. The program's totally free to download.
BlackRainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-11, 20:30   #5
ozzman

you need to install Itunes, you can then ripp music off cds, or open digital music you already got in it and once you are ready, plug in your ipod and it will sync your music, you can also set witch songs you want/don't want too
ozzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-11, 20:31   #6
Cochrane
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Murphy View Post
I've never used them but I've always assumed you have to buy songs at the iStore or whatever.

And that's what has kept me from even considering buying any iPod product. I like having the ability of using songs I already have on my computer and putting them on my MP3 device.
Then you are misinformed. iTunes and iPods support MP3 and AAC files from absolutely any source as long as there is no DRM on them. In fact, the iPod is older than the iTunes Music Store.
Old 13-06-11, 20:35   #7
Jami393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
Then you are misinformed. iTunes and iPods support MP3 and AAC files from absolutely any source as long as there is no DRM on them. In fact, the iPod is older than the iTunes Music Store.
So if they accept MP3 file format then couldn't I just drag my MP3s to the iPod? Also how big in file size is iTunes and where do I get it?
Old 13-06-11, 20:44   #8
Cochrane
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jami393 View Post
So if they accept MP3 file format then couldn't I just drag my MP3s to the iPod? Also how big in file size is iTunes and where do I get it?
The part of the iPod where you save music does not appear in the Windows Explorer, because the iPod uses an internal filing system that is not the same as what you have, so it can give you better access depending in what you search. ITunes des the translation between the two formats.

You can get it at http://www.apple.com/uk/itunes/download/ . On my iPad it wont let me download it, but on Windows and Mac you'll see the size there.
Old 13-06-11, 20:51   #9
Jami393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
The part of the iPod where you save music does not appear in the Windows Explorer, because the iPod uses an internal filing system that is not the same as what you have, so it can give you better access depending in what you search. ITunes des the translation between the two formats.

You can get it at http://www.apple.com/uk/itunes/download/ . On my iPad it wont let me download it, but on Windows and Mac you'll see the size there.
Thanks for the link but could but I also have another question. Do you need to be online all the time when using iTunes if so then i will have a bit of a problem?
Old 13-06-11, 20:56   #10
lararoxs
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jami393 View Post
Thanks for the link but could but I also have another question. Do you need to be online all the time when using iTunes if so then i will have a bit of a problem?
I don't think so, I think you only need to be online to access updates and the itunes store.
lararoxs is offline   Reply With Quote