Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 15-08-11, 00:41   #1
TheGermanLlama

Default Scottish people! I call for aid!

*If this is in the wrong section, you may move it*

I'm planning a sci-fi series set in 2241 AD about two Scottish captains.

Now, in 2241 AD, Scotland is now an empire, dominating the entire British Isles. The noble people call themselves the Scottish Highlanders. It's the reigning superpower next to the Serbian Empire (which dominates all of Asia, Eastern Europe and most of North America (The United States is now the American Kingdom dominating what was once the original thirteen American colonies, the rest of North America is the Serbian Empire and New Canada)) and the French Empire (which dominates the rest of Europe and some of Africa).

My problems:

#1- I want to have a name to call the Scottish Empress. A name that's truly Scottish, one that inspires and intimidates.

#2- The Scottish flag. While the current Scottish flag is fine to use, I want to modify it so it pretty much screams to the rest of the Earth "I AM POWER!" This was my idea: Take the flag and put the icon of a crown with a sword and scepter in the back, crossing each other. Directly above that is a lion.

I welcome and appreciate any advice! =D
TheGermanLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-11, 00:45   #2
Encore

I am not scottish but I just want to say that your idea is awesome.
Encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-11, 00:54   #3
TheGermanLlama

Thank you, my friend! =D

I had some ideas to call the Scottish Empire:

The Scotia Empire

I think I need to draw this stuff down on a blank map of the world to see what it looks like...

I also have no idea what to do with Central and South America, besides merging it and calling it "The American Union", 'cept it clashes with "The American Kingdom".

Hmm....

Le' Edit: Found a blank map. Now to start drawing out the idea. Good idea if I post it here?

Last edited by TheGermanLlama; 15-08-11 at 00:57.
Old 15-08-11, 00:59   #4
robm_2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGermanLlama View Post
I also have no idea what to do with Central and South America, besides merging it and calling it "The American Union", 'cept it clashes with "The American Kingdom".

Hmm....
Your idea sounds fun

As for Cen and South America, if they are to be the same entity, you could call them the The Latin Conglomerates, or something
robm_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-11, 01:02   #5
TheGermanLlama

*snaps fingers*

THE UNION OF LATIN AMERICA!

robm, you're a genius!
Old 15-08-11, 01:04   #6
BtoFu

First name for the Empress that came to mind was Morag. Then I laughed because it reminded me of Take the Highroad.

I always liked Kara, Morna and Chrisselle if that's any help. Frankly I don't hear many unique names in and around the city (Glasgow) - reckon you hafta hit up some of the islands to sample more.
BtoFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-11, 01:05   #7
robm_2007

Quote:
*snaps fingers*

THE UNION OF LATIN AMERICA!

robm, you're a genius!
That's not what I even suggested
robm_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-11, 01:09   #8
Funto

Quote:
#2- The Scottish flag.

This was my idea: Take the flag and put the icon of a crown with a sword and scepter in the back, crossing each other. Directly above that is a lion.
Is this on top of that cross in the scottish flag? Why not put Mel Gibson's face while you're at it? I think there's too much going on. You can make it scream power and badassery with less info. I'd look for flags in fantasy films, games, books. They usually have something cool (and often simple) going on.

Other than that, this is an interesting idea indeed. I'd watch some sci-fi Braveheart.
Funto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-11, 01:14   #9
TheGermanLlama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funto View Post
Is this on top of that cross in the scottish flag? Why not put Mel Gibson's face while you're at it? I think there's too much going on. You can make it scream power and badassery with less info. I'd look for flags in fantasy films, games, books. They usually have something cool (and often simple) going on.

Other than that, this is an interesting idea indeed. I'd watch some sci-fi Braveheart.
Or I can just leave the Scottish flag how it is. That's good too. =)

But I do love this idea myself. Already drawing up what the world looks like in 2241 AD.
Old 15-08-11, 01:16   #10
Encore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funto View Post
Aren't you just stereotyping here? I honestly see nothing of Braveheart in the OP, in fact, it's quite the opposite. Where in Braveheart the scots were pretty rough people, fighting for survival and freedom, in this story they are a super power. I can't see any parallels.
Encore is offline   Reply With Quote