How to Mod - A Guide for Beginners
A Step by Step Walkthrough on How to be a Modding Master
By Cute Lil Dragon
Additional Help By Tiddlyfish13

Tutorial 1: Placing Enemies

There are certain tools required for this tutorial:
Fexmerger:http://www.aspidetr.com/download/trl..._1.2_rev_0.zip
TRItem:http://www.laraslevelbase.org/stuff/...25&name=tritem

Greetings Tomb Raider Fans! I have decided to make a tutorial series on how to do all sorts of things in the modding world of Tomb Raider 2 and 3. This guide can be helpful with beginners, and perhaps a bit more experienced modders. I will be using Croft Manor for all these tutorials as it is the easiest level to mod. In this tutorial I will show you how to place enemies. The first thing you need to do is make a copy of all your Tomb Raider 2 or 3 files. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT because if you do not back it up, and you make a mistake, than you may have a problem.

Once you have that done open up Fexmerger, I think we will mod Tomb Raider 2 for today. So go under the "File" option on Fexmerger and press "Open Source" once the new windows is open go into "Local Disk C" then go into "Program Files" followed by "Core Design". Here you will see the files for all the Tomb Raider games, because we're modding Tomb Raider 2 we will open up the "Tomb Raider II" file, then go to "Data" You should see a list of all the levels. This is where we get our enemies. So what's a good enemy? I know! How about the boss from the Opera House! So click on "OPERA.TR2". Now all the enemies, animations, etc. should load into the "Source" side on Fexmerger. You're doing great so far! Once you have that done once again click the "File" option on Fexmerger, but this time click on the "Open Target" option. A new window should open up, and once again go to the "Data" folder. (C:\Program Files\Core Design\Tomb Raider II\data) once in there click on "ASSAULT.TR2", (this is also known as Lara's Mansion).

You should then be returned to Fexmerger with all the animations, doors, etc. loaded onto the "Target" side. You're doing so awesome! I'm proud of you! Now lets get the boss from Opera House into Assault. Look over at the "OPERA" bar. You see the names of Lara's Animations and the Enemies? Good! Now look closer, do you see the name "Shotgun Goon"? Great! To the left of "Shotgun Goon" is an empty box. Left click on it. Now the box should be checked. Once you have checked the box click the "Merge" button that's under the character picture. It's going to say "The Process May Take A While, Are you sure you Want to do it?" Well click yes! That's just the evil Microsoft Bunny trying to keep you from all the goodies! Once it is finished merging press "File" and "Save As", for the third time, return to the "Data" file (C:\Program Files\Core Design\Tomb Raider II\data) and save over the ASSAULT.TR2 file. Don't worry, your safe. Congratulations! you can now close out the Fexmerger window, but there's MORE work to be done

Open up TRITEM, we're close to being done, I promise , once inside TRITEM press the "File" option followed by "Open" go to the "Data" file (I'm not telling you where it is this time ) and click ASSAULT.TR2. Oooh! a map of Lara's Home, or, partially a map. The first room your viewing is underneath the maze. But we don't really want to put the Shotgun Goon in here. Where should we put him? Oooh! How about Lara's Bedroom! So click the "Room" option and scroll down and click on room "56" (Lara's Bedroom) Now you should see a view of Lara's Room. We're about to place the enemy!!! Let's place him right in front of the Gun Cupboard. So left click on the square in front of the cupboard door and press the option "Trigger Item" a small new window should open up. Find the "Shotgun Goon" trigger and press OK. ONE LAST STEP! Now we need to select the tile that triggers him. I recommend the tile that leads into the bedroom from the Great Hall. So left click the Wood Panel connecting the two and press the "Trigger 1" option. BOOM! that's it! Now press the "File" followed by "Save" option! And your done! Now close TRItem, start up Tomb Raider 2, play Lara's Mansion level, and run up to Lara's Bedroom! There's a surprise waiting for you! Hee Hee

MORE TUTORIALS COMING SOON!

Last edited by CuteLilDragon; 17-10-11 at 23:17.
CuteLilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-11, 19:16   #2
Tiddlyfish13
Professor

Yes! I will test this now!
Old 05-09-11, 23:19   #3
CuteLilDragon

Tutorial 2: Music

There is 1 tool required for this tutorial:
TRItem:http://www.laraslevelbase.org/stuff/...25&name=tritem

Hello again Tomb Raider Fans! Today I will teach you the ways of music. Music may be one of the most easiest things to do. First, open up TRItem, no Fexmerger required this time. Once TRItem is up and running go to the "Data" file under Tomb Raider 2 like last time. Once again we will do Lara's Mansion, so click on "ASSAULT.TR2". Now you need to select the room to play the music. Let's choose Room 64 (The Main Hall). So go to the "Room" option and scroll down to 64. Now you should see a map of the Main Hall. If so, than give yourself a pat on the back, because your close to being done. Firstly, click on a square of your choice that triggers the CD track, the square in-front of the front door is a good one, because you can not avoid it if you want to go inside. Once you have the square selected, click on the "Special" option and a new window should pop up. Left click on the option "Play CD Track", then it comes down to a really big choice, what track to play. There's an option on the right that should say "play cd track" with a little 0 under it. Type in the number of the track you want to use, it can be any number (as long as it's not TOO high). You really have to experiment with it to know what track to use. Let's choose track 44, that's a pretty good short one. Press OK and you should see that little T on the floor. Save your file and then close TRItem, Open up Tomb Raider 2, and listen to that short little tune.

Last edited by CuteLilDragon; 05-09-11 at 23:54.
Old 06-09-11, 00:47   #4
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Default Six is the number !

Thats a good tutorial

That TRitem is more usefull than I thought, especially on triggers.

One important point, is that try not to trigger too many baddies at the one time as they could end up in the same area and on screen at the same time.

The game engine will not cope with this and parts of the baddies will dissapear as lara rotates her view, and if you have a low spec computer the gameplay will slow down.

So SIX baddies plus Lara is really the limit.

Note that six is also the maximum for vehicles in the one screen, due to the same problem of dissapearing pixels.

I bet someone will come back and say they got seven, but no, six is it

Last edited by The Great Chi; 06-09-11 at 00:56.
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11, 00:54   #5
CuteLilDragon

Chi, I have also noticed this. In fact I have a cancelled project in my archives called The Day of The Winstons, I took one video of it and Winstons were constantly disappearing. Thus making the footage unusable.
Old 06-09-11, 23:49   #6
Tiddlyfish13
Professor

Yeah, this really needs to be stickied!

Very helpful and informative
Old 07-09-11, 11:05   #7
sweetheart

sorry but i've tried your links to download your tools but are all wrong.. can you help me?

ok, i've downloaded the tools from another place, now i've opened Fexmerger--->file--open source--->opera.tr2 and it returns to me this error : SCAN LINE INDEX OUT OF RANGE....
Help!!

Last edited by sweetheart; 07-09-11 at 11:25.
sweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-11, 11:31   #8
CuteLilDragon

Hmm...Try putting Fexmerger into your Tomb Raider 2 folder, be sure that everything that fexmerger needs is with it. Don't leave out anything.
Old 07-09-11, 22:38   #9
ClassicCroft
Professor

Thank you, this is verry helpfull, i never understood this modding for the old game, xD knew i do
ClassicCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-11, 00:14   #10
CuteLilDragon

I'm glad you find it useful!