www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Angel of Darkness

Old 28-10-11, 22:02   #1
Profc
Archaeologist

Default Strahov Library, Luther Rouzic? All the info I could gather...

This is from the old Tomb Raider Angel OF Darkness Visa commercial.

Sorry for the low quality of the pic.

Heres the video.

And this is the real life strahow library...

It seems that this commercial takes place in that library. I think that at some point they considered putting this level in the game. I also wonder if Luther Rouzic has any connections with this place.

I want to add a small detail. Luther Rouzic Appears on the Luddicks Dossier but it is not shown due to camera angles. Lets remember that he said he has information on all the six major players yet he only talked about Bouchard and Eckhart. He didn't even mention the others!!!

Maybe he was going to explain all this but they though it was boring and deleted it

There is some extra info I found about him online.

Luther Rouzic

Thin to the point of ill health, Luther Rouzic works at the Prague archives. The Librarian Honorarium, he is acknowledged worldwide to be the authority on dead languages and texts. He is also the keeper of the Strahov archives.

Mike Schmitt: "Rouzic is a member of the Cabal. He is their librarian, archivist, and the keeper of the Vault of Trophies at the Strahov in Prague -- a grisly collection of trophies from all of Eckhardt's defeated enemies and the Cabal's conquests."

I am not sure about the validity of the Mike Schmitt part. Because it was a Lux Veritatis Vault not Cabal.

Some thing I noticed about the concept art

Both the Nephilim in the concept art and Luther Rouzic has a eye in their palm.( They are also both very very skinny) Another small detail I noticed is the dead texts part.If he lived through those times it would make sense for him to know those dead texts. It also explains the removed writings line from the Von Croys apartment. Maybe there was no Mathias Vasiley in the original plan? Considering Luddick has already made the Cabal monstrum connection.

Karel-Luther Connection

Many fans made the assumption that Karel was a last minute replacement for Luther Rouzic.

I made also some connections of my own. All the Deleted Karel lines for the Kurtis levels appears twice but voiced with different actors. Either they didn't like the voice actor all that much or Karel actually replaced Rouzic.

You had the Engraving?
For a while, yes. That's how we knew where the Vault was. But we couldn't' get in. And I helped you in other ways.

Finally there is someting small I want to add about the Vault of Trophies. The way Mike Schmitt talks about the Vault of Trophies actually makes it sound more like the hidden area in Vasileys place. Come to think of it. Karel actually appeared in that level. In Bouchards form. If he was a replacement that mean Rouzic was in the Monstrum crime scene. Odd.

Apart form being an art dealer Vasiley also has a giant library.

Finally. There is actally a place called Strahov Monastary (not fortress) in Prague.

Last edited by Profc; 05-06-16 at 06:15.
Profc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-11, 06:34   #2
Zebra
Legend

The only reason I could think of why they would replace Rouzic with Karel would be that they had to cut the level which would have introduced Rouzic (the Strahov archives level). Then again, there never was a level introducing Karel, either, so they could've just kept him in without introducing him (like they did with Karel)...weird.

I don't think Karel replaced him, though. I'm pretty sure he and Karel were both supposed to be in the game from the beginning. The question remains what Rouzic is, though. His appearance has often lead to speculation that he is also a Nephilim (which would kind of fit the replacement theory). He certainly looks weird and not completely human. Furthermore, his nickname (the Illusionist) also suggests that he had some kind of supernatural power. Again, this nickname would fit to the shapeshifting abilities of the Nephilim (and also to the replacement theory) but I don't think Rouzic was one. I'm not sure what he was, though. Could it be that Rouzic actually is Karel? As in the two are just two different shapes assumed by the same Nephilim? Maybe the sign on Rouzic's palm was just an early version of the Nephilim sign we've seen on Karel.
Old 29-10-11, 07:25   #3
Profc
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
The only reason I could think of why they would replace Rouzic with Karel would be that they had to cut the level which would have introduced Rouzic (the Strahov archives level). Then again, there never was a level introducing Karel, either, so they could've just kept him in without introducing him (like they did with Karel)...weird.

I don't think Karel replaced him, though. I'm pretty sure he and Karel were both supposed to be in the game from the beginning. The question remains what Rouzic is, though. His appearance has often lead to speculation that he is also a Nephilim (which would kind of fit the replacement theory). He certainly looks weird and not completely human. Furthermore, his nickname (the Illusionist) also suggests that he had some kind of supernatural power. Again, this nickname would fit to the shapeshifting abilities of the Nephilim (and also to the replacement theory) but I don't think Rouzic was one. I'm not sure what he was, though. Could it be that Rouzic actually is Karel? As in the two are just two different shapes assumed by the same Nephilim? Maybe the sign on Rouzic's palm was just an early version of the Nephilim sign we've seen on Karel.
The scars on his face are open for discussion I guess. Cabal members were creepy for the sake of being creepy.Face burns of Boaz were added just to be creepy. Strange sticthes around Mullers throat are also similar to this. Why would a shape shifter guy have scars on his face anyway right?

I think that Vault Of Trophies was is original level.And they turned into a Lux Veritatis Vault. And the painting in that level changed. (If the trophies room belonged to Cabal it might make sense to keep the previously obtained Obscura paintings there).

Strangely enough both Karel and Rouzic are mentioned in the prima guide, and on the Luddicks dossiers. The removed lines mention that previous Cabal members and the Lux Veritatis fought even after the dissappearence of the black alchemist. Maybe he was an old Cabal member.

"In 1945 something happened that released the Black Alchemist from the pit. The Cabal had a hand in " Rest of the text is missing. So in 1945, there were still Cabal members around. And which members of the cabal look old? Gunderson and the Rouzic. Muller and Boaz also look a bit old. But I have no idea about their age. Boaz could be in her late forties or early sixties. And there is also Karel of course. Since Eckhart doesn't know that he is a Nephilim it wouldn't make sense for him to be there. (In his Karel form).

THE CABAL - Let's see what we have on the Cabal...a powerful alliance of five alchemists and sorcerers in the 13 and 1400's. Eckhardt is said to have betrayed and murdered almost all of them to control their secrets. Now that IS interesting! It says the Cabal and the Lux Veritatis battled constantly even after the disappearance of the Black Alchemist Eckhardt in 1445.

Apart from Karel who was alive during that time?

Last edited by Profc; 29-10-11 at 07:38.
Old 29-10-11, 08:14   #4
aussie500

Luther Rouzic has a mark on his palm, it is not an eye, and it is a fair stretch to connect a concept of a mutant/victim of experimentation with an eye in his palm to Rouzic, I doubt they were ever meant to be the same person. Karel is a nephilim, he is not skinny, so no reason for nephilim in general to be skinny.

Also this is the first I have heard of Karels lines being in multiple voices, there is only one voice in the game files. Considering Karel is changing forms in the scene, it is not unreasonable they could have changed the voice as well in an earlier version, but I never heard a version that had that.

And why connect anything from Vasily's place with the Cabal Vault of Trophies, the logic there escaped me completely. Vasiley was not a member of the Cabal, he was a collector. There were no grisly trophies in Vasiley's collection, he seemed to be collecting Lux Veritatis items, not trophies from Eckhardt's murdered victims. And I doubt Eckhardt would be keeping a Lux Veritatis page that showed how to confine himself, let alone the helmet he had to wear while confined (if that is what it was). Eckhardt only kept the periapt shard so no one else could use it against him. The grisly collection could have been dropped to tone down the horror aspects of the game, so the character for that section was dropped as well, either that or they never had time to do it.

More likely they replaced Rouzic with Karel because they were dropping half the locations and wanted to continue the next game with Karel rather than Rouzic being the nephilim that escaped to fight another day. There are no early concepts of Karel, so he seems to have been a late addition to the game.

Last edited by aussie500; 29-10-11 at 08:18.
aussie500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-11, 08:39   #5
Profc
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie500 View Post

And why connect anything from Vasily's place with the Cabal Vault of Trophies, the logic there escaped me completely. Vasiley was not a member of the Cabal, he was a collector. There were no grisly trophies in Vasiley's collection, he seemed to be collecting Lux Veritatis items, not trophies from Eckhardt's murdered victims. And I doubt Eckhardt would be keeping a Lux Veritatis page that showed how to confine himself, let alone the helmet he had to wear while confined (if that is what it was). Eckhardt only kept the periapt shard so no one else could use it against him. The grisly collection could have been dropped to tone down the horror aspects of the game, so the character for that section was dropped as well, either that or they never had time to do it.
According to Mike Schmitt Vault Of Trophies was the place where cabal stored their grisly collection of trophies. And Rouzic was the keeper of the place. Since the writings under the artifacts were completely unrelated to the artifacts it is safe to assume that 3 of the artifacts don't really belong there. They just moved those artifacts from the original Vault Of Trophies to Vasileys basement. I never said that Vasiley was a Cabal member. I just made assumption that Vasiley wasn't there in the original storyline and we could have that Library from the commercials instead of his store.

Another detail:

For some reason the angel statue in Vasileys room is looking at the wrong direction. All these years I tried to make out what this angel figurine looked lie. Now I finally realized that it was just looking at the wrong direction. A true shame.

Last edited by Profc; 29-10-11 at 10:45.
Old 30-10-11, 16:53   #6
Aurimas

The real Strahov library is in the commercial as well. It was shot there. I uploaded the making of video of it.

This is Philosophical Hall, there is also another Thrological Hall. Here is a video showing both that is worth to see. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHUxE2JL9Ss I would liked to visit it.

Another interesting thing I noticed is that the background music played in link of the commercial you posted is different.

I really doubt that Karel was supposed to replace Rouzic. I think they had to be both in game. I think they dropped the Stahov Monastery level and Rouzic because it they realised that they do not have time to finish them. I wonder how the Strahov Monastery level looked like. We do not even have a sketch of it. Can be that they did not planned it and we were supposed to meet Rouzic somewhere else.

And interesting find about the angel statue.
Aurimas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-11, 17:01   #7
Zebra
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie500 View Post
More likely they replaced Rouzic with Karel because they were dropping half the locations and wanted to continue the next game with Karel rather than Rouzic being the nephilim that escaped to fight another day. There are no early concepts of Karel, so he seems to have been a late addition to the game.
One could also argue that the early concepts of Karel were simply never released because Core didn't want to make him seem important in order to keep the plot twist of him pulling the strings a surprise.
Old 30-10-11, 17:12   #8
Aurimas

By the way, in this video it says that the library is in the Strahov Monastery and it was one of the biggest libraries in Prague. And as we know Rouzic was a keeper of Strahov achives so it can be that we had to play this all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkLZ7UpG9WE Notice the lion statue in the centre. It reminds me of early design art of Tomb Raider the Angel of Darkness. http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/tng/design.html
Old 30-10-11, 23:51   #9
Profc
Archaeologist

One thing I don't understand is why did dropped Luther? Couldn't they have just deleted Muller instead? He was not seen in the early concept arts all that much either. Or Gunderson.

Cabal was already using the Mafia as a front. So why did they even needed the Gunderson and the agency. Or vice versa.

They really made some of the small story bits very confusing. It really shows that the game was edited a few times. Especially the later parts of the game.

Thin to the point of ill health, Luther Rouzic works at the Prague archives. The Librarian Honorarium, he is acknowledged worldwide to be the authority on dead languages and texts. He is also the keeper of the Strahov archives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schmitt
Mike Schmitt: "Rouzic is a member of the Cabal. He is their librarian, archivist, and the keeper of the Vault of Trophies at the Strahov in Prague -- a grisly collection of trophies from all of Eckhardt's defeated enemies and the Cabal's conquests."

This is all the info I could find about him. ( Maybe we are making a wrong assumption here. Maybe it was Kurtis who was suppossed to fight Luther. Illusionist vs Psychic.) When they cut out his pyschic powers maybe he got cut along with it.

It would be crazy to see Lara kill a skinny old man.

Last edited by Profc; 30-10-11 at 23:59.
Old 31-10-11, 00:02   #10
Aurimas

I just looked in Vasiley's aftifacts again. What is the item that Lara not commented? It looks like mask of man from a painting that Lara pulls up in Vaulth of Trophies.

Profc, you can edit textures (make transparent) to get a better view of the angel statue.

Last edited by Aurimas; 31-10-11 at 00:11.