Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 14-02-05, 20:53   #1
tlr online
Tomb Raider Forums

Lara Croft bounces across the screen and as the camera focuses on her every jiggle, the player cannot help but notice her enormous breasts, overshadowed only by the size of her gun. Characters such as the heroine of the video game "Tomb Raider" have provoked outrage among the academic community and citizen groups.

Five years ago, Brenda Laurel and other game developers tried to make "girl-friendly" games, but Mattel bought Laurel's company, buried her product and the girl-game debate went underground. Now, researchers are trying to integrate video games into education and concern over Lara Croft and her companions is emerging again.

FULL ARTICLE
tlr online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-05, 21:12   #2
Draco
Golden

I think you only have to look at the fans to figure that one out.
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-05, 21:13   #3
Catlantean

I don't understand these people. No way I'd say that Lara portrays women as sex objects. Quite the opposite, as she's the epitome of a strong, independant woman. As for her looks, I'd rather play games with unreallistically beautiful and generally unrealistic characters than real-life-looking people with real-life problems. Want real-life in games, play the Sims.
Catlantean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-05, 21:15   #4
ELEN
Golden

Arrow

Quote:
The gender gap in computer science could partially be attributed to girls not playing games
And here I come to defeat him. Anyway, I think it's in our mind. If you see Lara as a sex symbol, then you better enter her pixelated world and propose her. This subject has been covered numerous times. And it is not only about men. I also disagree when some young ladies try to look like Lara. I know that there are many people out there that have been affected, but for God's sake, it is a game. Inspiration and admiration differ from sickness.
ELEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-05, 22:30   #5
Thorir

No real fan would ever say Lara encourages sexism.
To a unknowing player, pictures of Lara may seem like sexy posing. But a true fan knows that Lara is strong and good looking. Very confident. She stands for equalism and independence!
Thorir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-05, 22:43   #6
Apofiss

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by Thorir:
She stands for equalism and independence!
Well said!
Apofiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-05, 05:00   #7
Neteru

I don't think she encourages sexism at all. What she does do is epitomise a stereotype of attractive woman as having large breasts, small waist and is generally fit. But what she also does is smash another stereotype that women are not active, smart, in control, self-assured, a good shot with a gun, etc. It's not perfect, but it's a start.
Neteru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-05, 05:10   #8
Olvidarse

You could also say that games such as MGS encourage sexism. I mean, you play as the perfect soldier? How many games have males portrayed as the perfect soldier/warrior/fighter? Countless. And they aren't exactly varied in body type, if you get my drift.

They're just sensitive because she's a female. She doesn't personify a "damsel in distress," and she doesn't use her digital attributes to entice her enemies.
Olvidarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-05, 12:35   #9
Nikola

In the earlier games, it was a lot more obvious that she was created for the male gaming community, skimpy shorts and top, and some of the remarks she would make to male characters in the game would border slightly on it, but in AOD all that stopped, and she became and actual PERSON, she had fears and a really obvious personality that wasn't just geared towards making her attractive.

Anyone who thinks the newest game is sexist, just look at it this way, they've developed Lara's personality, and made her figure a lot less prominent and slightly more real than before. And I think the reason for adding Kurtis was to equal out the gender balance and finally give some girls something to look at, other than Lara's behind. Overall, I think the game has reached a happy medium.

[ 15. February 2005, 12:36: Message edited by: Demon Huntress ]
Nikola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-05, 14:26   #10
magic

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Thorir:
She stands for equalism and independence!
I totally agree with this.

I'm sure there wouldn't be as many females on this forum if Lara was encouraging sexism.
magic is offline   Reply With Quote